The Current Year Is 2018

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I'm pretty sure that given enough time someone will be offended even by a happy rainbow :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Treatment and cure are two different things. Look up the definitions. Also who is to say that T is the only thing people have? You don’t know. I have other things that are worse but don’t mess with my sense of well being as much as T.

Everyone is looking for treatments for whatever ailments they have. So it should be no different for T sufferers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He’s protecting TRT for himself instead of helping you? This is a support forum. Unbelievable. Anyway don’t rely on his advice. Ask another local doctor. You’re being positive wanting to seek treatment. Don’t let his negativity get to you please.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Gman, from all those ailments except (maybe) alzheimer, all have no treatment and cure. You said it, we are all seeking treatment for whatever ailments people have, that's the point, and everyone feels that his/her ailment is the most damaging for them.

What we have to do is raise awareness, help funding and associations that will specifically investigate the ear, and don't forget that good findings for other diseases will in turn help T (kv7 potassium channel was intended for epilepsy or frequency therapeutics started everything after stem cell research). What we must do is support research the most we can do, that''s the whole point!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exactly right. Push for treatments and ultimately a cure. Not be complacent and just accept it like people here advocate. The research for T has been woeful until recently. But you can be sure a lot of those other ailments have been actively researched for years. There have been recent breakthroughs for Parkinson’s. People didn’t just sit around meekly existing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Most people with Parkinson's do actually sit around meekly existing. They're given some drugs to help and try manage the symptoms but they don't do that much. Most with Parkinson's aren't doing anything. And look at yourself. What are you - or we - doing, complaining like a child on a tinnitus forum? You are meekly existing for all intents and purposes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s not what I meant. There are awareness campaigns and foundations actively pushing for funding and research. Michael J Fox didn’t just accept things.

Complaining like a child? Ok just give up. I’m trying my best to get past this ASD. I’m out everyday making a living for my family. Not meekly existing, I can assure you. But it’s really tough. I am at my limit of what I can do, trying to work, take care of my family and trying to exist in this noisy world.

I know someone with Parkinson’s and he’s not sitting around meekly. He owns a company and keeps active.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh yeah one other thing. You can be sure that people diagnosed with many of those ailments such as Parkinson’s are treated with dignity and respect. They are actually able to get a diagnosis. Not just given the old ENT line ‘just live with it, close the door on your way out’routine. There’s a clear difference, Ann.
      Their clinicians wouldn’t make their conditions worse, unlike a money grubbing ENT or clueless audiologist.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      I totally agree. And I would really like to hear from the people on this forum (you know who you are) who are so vocal about the uselessness of healthcare systems, the lack of attention from policymakers, the slow academic progress, etc.: What are you doing to further these or any related causes to improve the lives of tinnitus sufferers?

And in general: Yes, let's turn more names to yellow! There are people working behind the scenes (most notably, but not restricted to, Markku and Steve) without any monetary compensation, to keep TT up and running on a daily basis. And it's not just the forum, but a wide variety of efforts, e.g. collaborative projects with researchers, surveys, developing new resources for tinnitus sufferers, etc.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I agree that some ENTs and most in Northern California do not follow clinical guidelines listed in this link. If they did an examination would take many hours and several visits. Sometimes with one sided problems, there's something physical going on and that should be examined further.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0194599814545325

My cardiologists appointments are always at least 2 hours with several exams. Then sometimes I have a 24 hour hospital stay with multiple exams.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Giving support on here is lovely but getting involved in Tinnitus Awareness is amazing and feeling so proud for what a difference you can make.
      I'm sure some members would love to get involved more.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I joined a support group in Allentown PA , going there 19th April . Don’t know what to expect. Hope not Doctors trying to sell me something. Just want to meet ppl ,that suffer with T face to face . Maybe become friends.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      As usual Glynis, you have a lovely and diplomatic way of putting it :)
      Probably much more effective than my crude call to action above.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      To be fair, I did get HOF earlier than most. There's a way to tell if someone posts good comments. With a rating-to-message ratio. likes/messages=likes on average.

Examples:
      Michael Leigh: likes (4,361)/messages (4,531)= .96 likes per post on average.
      Haz-G: 139/113= 1.23 l/p
      Glynis: 4,936/5,523= .89 l/p

Following this math:
      Threefirefour: 2,587/2,033= 1.27 l/p

So yeah I get a lot of likes per post. Rajin's got a point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I worked in healthcare for many years and not all of that was in medical care as about half of my employment time was in system improvement and operations. I bought baseball cards, football cards and non sport cards for children in pediatrics, the burn center and rehab units. I spend thousands of hours where I did not receive a salary. One year, I worked 352/365 days or nights, 9 to 13 hours because we were understaff and I could have received the same salary if I had worked a normal schedule. My mother died last year and my father before that. I gave them the best care that I give them as I was retired. I have an inferior complex and I always felt that I could have done more. My conscious always bothers me. There's so many here that give their time not only on TT, but to the their communities. I can't do community involvement anymore and it makes me sad. I can't even take my wife out with my conditions.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Greg Sacramento ,
      I am sure you could find something you can do that would be voluntary to help others.
      Something as easy as being a telephone buddy for the elderly where you ring a pensioner once a week for a friendly chat...
      Look in to elderly care agencies etc.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    17. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And how many of those likes are yours? :pompous::puppykisses:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Well for me, none considering you can't like your own comments. But maybe everyone else has a higher ratio because I have a habit of liking everyone's comments.

19. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      How many are from fellow frequent posters on the MPP thread? ;)

Actually, is there a way to tell where everyone is commenting? General versus support or research?

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Good point. Idk if there is, but those MPP likes are still other people liking my memes.

• Like Like x 2
    21. Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud music (earphones)
      Let’s be honest now. We both post on MPP and it’s really easy to raise this figure when there’s a small group of people constantly upvoting each other. This is why I don’t bother looking at these numbers because they don’t really mean anything. Unless, of course, you provide informative posts on Research. Those are upvotes that mean something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      It’s still a way to support one another, so no problem. Take allllll the likes. :p

Actually, I rate things often. I blame FB for conditioning me to do that.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      True, too. I’d give more credence to high ratings on research threads, which is why I’m curious about where ratings fall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      True. The point I'm making isn't that likes mean something, just that if likes mean anything, then my formula is the best way to deduct popularity. Of course with my MPP likes, I'm producing meme's and comments people like, but that doesn't mean anything for my overall helpfulness.

I've been conditioned to do it overtime because it's considered polite on the internet.

I do get high ratings on the signal timing thread but thats it. Make of it what you like.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Andrei90
      Depressed

Andrei90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud music (earphones)
      Btw, this thread has really taken off since the last few days. A lot of rock throwing a few pages back. I like this kind of friction. Gets things moving.

*Looking at you Frequency*

People are angry. Get it done.

E7AA78FE-C2F5-49F1-91EC-2283572B5D3D.gif

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Since I’ve been on here, these type of threads always have the same tribes, those who are for and against. It doesn’t really solve anything as it seems to be the same thing over and over ( even though I think it’s always good to discuss opposing views) I don’t see any things moving, apart from the usual back and forth comments from certain posters.

27. advocate21

advocate21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I agree.

28. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      when we start talking about fact instead of theory we might agree

• Like Like x 1
    29. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      This is where TRT is still available on the NHS and all are welcome.

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
      Charles Swyer
      Audiology Clerical Assistant
      Audiology Department
      Sussex House (Corner of Abbey Road and St. George’s Road)
      BN2 1ES

(350 yards from RSCH main buildings)

www.bsuh.nhs.uk/audiology

Tel: 0300 303 8360 Option 1 for Audiology & Hearing Aids
      Fax: 01273 664806

30. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      The reason why we dont have any treatment for Tinnitus is because there is not a lot of funding, it is also seen as a sprained leg, or better said a minor inconvenience. It is something that is brushed aside and thought of as not significant thus why we have CBT (useless). I think Tinnitus is going to become very common in a few years due to earbuds/ipods and other loud noises.

• Agree Agree x 2