The Current Year Is 2018

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Apr 7, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      You just said it will "maybe" give us some credibility. Implying credibility comes from action.

Anyways I'm too poor to donate to ATA. And I don't trust them at all. I would donate to BTA if I could.

2. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      This thread :ROFL::LOL:

I can see all sides, why people get angry and frustrated that there isn’t a real cure or at least something to significantly reduce the volume.
      I’m not sold on TRT as a whole, After all this time the fact that this is the still available baffles me (along with the expense) I do see it as a outdated module, but if it helps people who am I to argue?! I do believe in the CBT side though.
      I’m not willing to stop my life and obsess about a cure (even though I will still look for any articles that look promising) as I’m looking to live my life the best I can. I believe that a postive mindset can do wonders in moving forward. It may be a long road as I’m fully aware that a good few people have other ailments in the mix, but I just don’t see how fixating on a cure is good for your overall mental health in the long run? It will prevent you from living your life.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @jay777,
      I'm in the UK in the Midlands and my NHS Hospital does not do TRT .
      It must be a post code thing but If you contact the big city Hospitals Audiology departments I am sure they would tell you so maybe try London.
      Love glynis

4. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I have not convinced myself they will not work, you advise me of TRT but you will not tell me your hospital? Where I may get treatment?

5. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can I ask why you won’t tell people what hospital it is? You seem to be a strong advocate of TRT which I have no issue with even though I’m not sold on it. If somebody was looking to try it for themselves and could travel this would benefit them.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I repeat:

Alzheimer (no cure), Fibromyalgia (no cure and only treatments are AD which have nothing to do), ALS No cure, Nerve Injury No cure, Paralisis No Cure, Blindness No Cure... I can go on and go on, and all these diseases.

You consider that T is the worst because you have T, but there are many people with other ailments in other forums that feel exactly the same way as you do. I can tell you because a terrible thing happened to me some years ago and it is the same.

What we must do as T sufferers is to support scientists, and political parties that have a strong research agenda and support associations that promote awareness and research for T, that is what we all should be doing.

@fishbone I totally agree with you, you are an example of a real role model for all of us so thanks for your words!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Credibility does comes from action.

Let's expand "donation" to mean not only money, but time volunteering. You can donate money, you can donate time, there are a lot of Tinnitus support groups and organizations around the World, there are a lot of ways to contribute to a cause.

From time to time there seems to be a thread with general complaints about the status of Tinnitus research and Treatment. That's fine, it's our right to be dissatisfied.

But maybe, just maybe, if more people found ways to contribute to a cause, instead of only talking about it, it would bring more progress to the cause and more credibility to the person doing the speaking.

I'm not talking about a specific person, to each one its own, I bet most people reading this could donate some money to Tinnitustalk or any other organization, or join a local support group, or help in any other way (as in Tinnitustalk advocacy, research, etc. efforts). Sadly, most people opt not to do anything.

Let's all walk the talk. ;)

Best,
      Zug

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Well said sir. I deal with other issues outside of T that have no cures and their forums look the same as these.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I told someone a while back the hospital I attend for TRT. I was later asked not to divulge this information as TRT is in demand and only at selected hopitals. CBT is another good treatment but again not every hospital practices it. The best way is to ask your GP to make enquires where TRT, CBT, mindfulness etc are available so you can be referred.

Michael

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Agreed. I'm saving up a couple grand for the SS device if it comes out. I'll donate the remainder to tinnitus research, unless the device fails. Then I'll donate it all. I'm saving 6k.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      In my opinion, there are not only too few treatment options, but rather one is still in the early stages of the diagnosis.

All noises in the ears are subsumed under the generic term tinnitus, regardless of the history (e.g. noise trauma or not), whether it concerns both ears or only one, whether it is a high-frequency whistling or a pulse-synchronous cicada sound.

One can speak of luck that pulsatile tinnitus was split off as an independent form of tinnitus, otherwise all vascular occlusions in the brain would also be in the same group.

There is also the problem that tinnitus is one of the diseases that is often said to have a psychological cause. And last but not least, many tinnitus sufferers get depression - but as a rule probably as a result of tinnitus and not as a cause.

Then there is the story of somatic tinnitus - and there are doctors who locate a large proportion of the causes of tinnitus there. And there are many tinnitus sufferers who do not know whether they have noise damage or not - and then still notice somatic symptoms (when the chin is pushed forward, the tinnitus becomes much louder, something must be wrong with the jaw joint).

Conclusion:
      Not only that there is no therapy, also the diagnostic possibilities are totally neglected.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      @Michael Leigh what? what? does it really concern you that I may get treatment and I am not from your post code? my GP has not got clue about TRT.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @jay777

I am now leaving this conversation and wish I had kept quiet. I advise you to follow up on the treatment that has been offered to you. CBT is expensive and not widely available.

I wish you well and all the best
      Michael

15. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      He is a Hall of Fame. Plus there is nothing wrong with him, disagreeing with TRT. Not everyone can donate money or volunteer time. He is not complaining about no cure. Threefirefour raises some good questions. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. I think he brings a lot of valid points here. This shit is no joke to deal with, tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t see how that would make any difference? You need to be referred to TRT by a medical professional, knowing where a hospital is that practices it won’t make a difference. I’ve never heard of anybody in a medical field advising a patient not to recommend a hospital wether a certain procedure is practiced. That’s new to me. I’m not looking for any type of argument btw I’m just intrigued.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Why? Criticism of an idea is no issue if the idea can stand up to criticism.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Okay... So, let's assume for a minute that what you are saying is true (which it isn't) and reflect on the fact that you are "medically retired" but claim "to be habituated". @Michael Leigh – how do those two opposites fit together?

Would it be a stretch to insinuate that:
      1. either you are a lazy old fart (because you could be working when you are not), or
      2. that TRT didn't actually work that well for you and/or you are generally not habituated?
      In addition, if you are habituated, why would you need to take clonazepam, St. John's Wort, not to mention relying on WNGs on a daily basis? Maybe the habituation is in your imagination rather than a fact of reality. You should be aware that people who cannot differentiate between fiction and reality are generally not treated by ENTs, but by psychiatrists. Perhaps the next time you are at that unknown NHS entity of yours, you should pick the other department...

I hope someone eventually decides to spill the beans and reveal your petty personal identity.

Links:

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Hall of Fame is for the number of posts. It’s not based on quality of posts nor contributions.

No offense, @threefirefour I’m not saying you’re not making good contributions I just wanted to point out that the opinions of hall of fame members shouldn’t carry more weight than the opinions of others. Likewise, I do not think benefactor opinions are more valuable.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    20. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Actually it is based on number of positive ratings received from other members.

• Informative Informative x 5
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Oops, I stand corrected! Thanks, Markku!

Well slightly corrected because you could post incorrect information and still get positive ratings.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I agree, and eventually if one posts enough, they are likely to get enough positive ratings to make it to the Hall of Fame. Its usefulness is pretty much limited to being a sign of "I've been posting on TT quite a lot".

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Even as @Markku pointed out (Thanks btw) it's based on positive ratings. But still it doesn't determine if someone makes quality arguments. Remember Michael Leigh is in there too. But someone has a higher chance of getting in if they frequent the site and make good arguments.

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agree 100%, I like to think everybody contributes in their own way. I appreciate people’s opinions, I may not always agree with them but it’s their opinion. Nobody’s opinion matters more than somebody else’s, though a good few on here seem to think theirs does.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I think you mean 2120...

• Like Like x 2
    26. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are all possible ratings positive?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Me and @threefirefour agreed. No need to defend him.

Most people can donate money or time. I find it hard to believe that someone that doesn't have the time can't spend a couple of bucks, and someone who can't spend a couple of bucks don't have the time. I do believe that most people who don't do anything will find a good excuse for the inaction.

I'm not aware of any lower limits to donate do TinnitusTalk, ATA, TRI, also, several times the moderators of TinnitusTalk have asked of help in some initiative.

My reasoning is simple: If you want to complain, It's better to act in the real world AND complain than just to complain.

So go ahead everyone, turn your names to yellow. ;)

Best,
      Zug

• Like Like x 3
    28. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Some of them can be used sarcastically but none of them are strictly negative.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My question was more in that direction: Are all ratings counted?

• Like Like x 1
    30. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1