The Importance of Acknowledging People’s Hard Work

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This morning I saw a video on YouTube made by a guy called Tom who is the main editor and content creator of a channel I often watch. It really struck a chord with me as what he had to say had so many parallels to the work that is done here. I’ll link to the video below and I strongly recommend that you watch it:

Jujimufu is Quitting Youtube

This perfectly highlights the importance of showing one’s support and gratitude towards the people who are raising the bar - in any field - by giving acknowledgement and constructive feedback. There are many people who have stepped up to help the cause, but sometimes I don’t think the validation is there for the sheer amount of time, energy and money that is spent creating some of the content here. Validation is a currency; a simple comment or gesture of support can go a really long way to making all that effort feel worthwhile. @Markku, in particular, has dedicated his life and soul to this but I truly don’t believe he receives the credit he is due. You may all silently acknowledge his efforts, but sometimes you need to make that s**t vocal so that he can feel appreciated for all the hours of sacrifice. Exactly the same applies to @Hazel, @Jack Straw, @TuxedoCat, @PeterPan, @Autumnly, @glynis and all the others that have given part of their soul advocating for this cause.

A strong community bond creates a more powerful group and if this power is harnessed then it will lead to more fruitful outcomes.

• Winner Winner x 9
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you to everyone here who gives up their precious personal time to advocacy activities around tinnitus.

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      And not to forgot the almighty efforts of Tinnitus Hub’s former director, @Steve, and also the incredible work of Liz Windsor.

There are obviously others I’m forgetting, but all you guys are the real deal.

:beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Working with @Markku and @Hazel on this project has once again shown me how much work and time they put into raising awareness. Thank you both so much for giving me the chance to work with you on this video series, I'm really looking forward to the individual interviews that we'll be posting soon.

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      AACE49EA-21F6-417D-B75E-789F1D212666.gif

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      B763C8CD-8B5F-4E98-A063-21AB9C835FBF.jpeg
      Thanks mate, you too (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Funny Funny x 3
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I so agree @Ed209.

Not to forget the wonderful grant program in the memory of Daniel that you created here on Tinnitus Talk. Because of you there is a wonderful legacy left behind in his memory.

:huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Hazel and @Markku,

These days I am feeling detached and remembering the past when I was so involved with tinnitus support and fundraising and a personal foundation created in the name of my friend which no longer exists.

How do you both keep from getting totally disgusted or just feeling unappreciated regarding keeping Tinnitus Hub and Tinnitus Talk going forward?

I mean, I read a post from a previous member who has now gotten very financially stable and successful and I don't see any pay it forward going on.

And others who seem to think that time given for support despite having financial stability - makes up for not giving donations? Over the years I have witnessed so many good people just leave this arena - out of frustration - including myself.

I watch all the work @Hazel is doing and has done. I watch all the work @Markku puts into this board and all the different things that are created.

I watched @Ed209 witness what I lived through trying to get people involved.

I watch as those with the least financial means donate as much as they can spare.

I watch those with financial means turn their heads or disappear during fundraising efforts.

And personally I am tired of this.

How do you guys keep going like you do?

• Like Like x 1
    11. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      work hard.png

• Funny Funny x 1