The Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thanks Billie! I don't think of it as progress but it really is--I never would've gone a couple of months ago! This forum with people like you and Dr. Nagler is such a life saver!

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I hope you have a quieter day today. Mine was actually lower yesterday. It is so unpredictable! I'm so happy you had a good time too--we are very close in our T age. :) We can make this journey together :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I totally agree with you, let me Introduce myself, im ray and I just barely got t month and a half ago, it was really depressing at the beginning cus I didnt want to accept it,but now I came back to work and I read these posts and I sure feel alot better, nice to meet you all!

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. MaccyDee
      Anime

MaccyDee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yesterday was the best day I've had in awhile. I mean, I felt so much joy! My T was whirring and hissing a lot, but I just felt this exceeding peace and joy inside!
      Reminds me that Loud T days can still amazing days. :)
      Hope everyone has a good one today!

• Like x 4
      • Hug x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Fantastic post. It is what it is - enjoy, be happy, and keep a peaceful co-existence with your T, even whirring, hissing, resonating & ultra high pitched T. Let T be. Let the rest of your life be. You just show what the brain is capable of if you allow it. Yes, loud T days can still be amazing days. I agree and I am living it myself. Life is beautiful and enjoyable. Don't give up on life because of T. I will be heading to Hawaii in 3 weeks. Wow. I am heading to an oceanic 'Paradise'. T can go to 'Hell'.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    6. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I went back to the gym this week--Monday and tonight. I haven't been since the onset of my T. The treadmill and elliptical made my T louder but so what! It settled down again when I was doing weights. I sat in the hot tub with hubby when I came home--warming my sore body. It feels so good to be back in life fully. I think I must be habituating because I almost don't care anymore if it's loud --it will just make me appreciate the lower days so much more.

billie--I love Hawaii. I've been to most of the islands. The Big Island and Maui are my faves.

Here today, gone to Maui... :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Hawaii is always dear to my heart. Met my honey there while attending university. Love to watch those romantic sunsets walking hand in hand with my wife (then girlfriend). We even snorkeled among the corals hand in hand. We also visited the Big Island and dared to stand right on top of those steamy fissures on the ground of Kilauea Volcano, enjoyed the lush green beauty of Akaka Falls as well drove all the way to the summit of Mauna Kea, a dormant volcano & the highest mountain on earth when measured from the sea floor. Amazingly, it was all covered by snow up there while the sea level can be 30C or more. There are many of the largest telescopes in those observatories on the summit. It was like moonscape when driving up there. Quite a memorable trip to the Big Island. Will surely love to visit Maui and Kauai. There is much to explore & to live for in life than T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. MaccyDee
      Anime

MaccyDee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My heart just pooped from all the sweetness in this post!
      I hope you two have a wonderful time! c:

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Aloha & Mahalo, Maccy. Thanks. We will definitely enjoy this trip. Besides seeing our newest grandson, we will also celebrate our 38th anniversary there. T will ring, but good life and great time will continue. There is no way I will let the flying and the screaming in the ears to stop me enjoying my life. It may scream above the jet engine noise in the plane and so be it. Not going to fear it nor fight it. It is a conscious choice I have made and I will live my life abundantly regardless of T. Never thought I could do this a few years back in the depth of T sufferings. But never say never.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Have a wonderful time, Billie, and thanks for all your positive energy!! You are an inspiration to us all, and I'm glad you're going on this trip. Enjoy!!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      It has probably been mentioned at some point before on the forums, and I'm sure a lot of people have been thinking the same thing, but a nice tip I'd like to share is; when your T is at it's very best/quietest, you should tell yourself; "If my brain can make my T this quiet at this very moment, it is capable of doing it at any moment. This has helped me keep me spirits up both in quiet and loud times!

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 2
    12. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Phillip83 yes I do think that, I have only had T for two months and I dont even know if its louder or lower and if I have it in both ears or just one but of course my left is the loudest! I now can sleep without it bothering me but as soon as I wake up its still there but im still working on it!

• Like Like x 1
    13. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes indeed, I have found comfort and I dont feel as lonely im my life knowing there is such good people with the same disorder I got, two months ago I got T and I was going mad, nervous,depressed,sad,weak,no hunger,lonely(even when my wife was there for me),misunderstood,frustrated,etc;...thanks to all of you and your heart warming words of compassion and support, God bless you all, my name is Ray by the way, I got so exited I didnt even introduce myself, gracias!

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Hi, my name is Ray and yes I agree, you look very young to have T I swear I thought only older people would get T but I was wrong and I really feel for the younger people that have it, I know the agony of it wgen you first get it, I got T two months ago today and its been hell for me ever since,but I have been working on habituating but my hopes for it to go away are less every day, I have been reading alot and I get even more confused every day, I just want to feel better,but I think I will eventually get there!, how did you get your T so young?

15. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thanks for this wonderful words, I have been having alot of trouble and im still working on it, your words have made me have hope, I got T two months ago and I am struggling alot to habituate, any words of advise for this hellish sound or how to lower it a little, thanks again!

16. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the board, Ray. Thanks for the kind words. Members here are all trying to help the newer sufferers. Hopefully , our collective effort can do some wonder to help alleviate people's sufferings from T. Since this is the Positivity Thread where people talk about how they live their life positively despite T, I suggest that we don't change this to a question & answer support thread. So please create a new separate thread and describe your condition in more detail there. I am sure the kind members will be more than happy to answer your questions there. Perhaps as a start, read up all the success stories on this board which will give you a general idea what have helped people to get better. I wrote mine titled 'From Darkness to Light'. All the stories will give you a lot of good tips. I wish you a speedy recovery & God bless you.

Success stories:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/forums/success-stories.47/

Also this thread may have what you are looking for:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-to-habituate-to-loud-ringing.4544/#post-44651

• Like Like x 1
    17. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      [THIS MUCH FUN IS POSSIBLE AGAIN!]

Just read through this whole positivity thread and wanted a button that I could click saying “Bravo/Brava!” to all of it! Man. I could use up a lot of “Likes”, “Agree” and “Rainbow” icons throughout this thread!

OK, so I decided maybe I’ve been on the Forum long enough I could share a somewhat personal video (which privately a few of you have seen). It is really pretty relevant, not just because it was fun, but because it shows where one can get to...However, I’m afraid I have to give a little explanation or it won’t make sense, so bear with me.

If you have seen my profile or read some of my posts you will know I have had tinnitus for 58 years and have had three subsequent “jumps up” in volume. In short = tinnitus bummer ride. However, I habituated really well even after the most traumatizing jump in 2006 that was c/o a cocktail of ototoxic antibiotics. That added Hyperacusis and louder tinnitus to my already pretty darn loud ringing. I was a mess. And I mean a total mess…

I could not drive in a car without full earplugs in even with all windows closed. I carried three grades of earplugs in my pockets at all times. I knew I should not have them in as much as I dared but would get aggressively spiked at the slightest sound above low speaking volume. Etc., etc., etc. I tried numerous treatments which mostly just panicked me. I was also sick as a dog with an undiagnosed illness (possibly Lyme Disease) for years. Yeah, I was near suicidal for about 18 months. Many of you have been in this place no doubt.

OK, so this video is in 2012, which is 6 years after this total trashing from the meds described above. Also, I was 62 and I can assure you healing is slower as you get older! Many of you are much younger and habituation/regeneration is quicker. So yeah, it took a while but I got back to doing about the only thing I love (only started dancing at age 42 – better late than never!). This clip is a section at the end of a little dance show at our local Community College (absolutely we are not pros, just students having a blast). Obviously it’s a spoof on that song that took the world by storm… No earplugs in! (You may notice I put my fingers in my ears at the clapping, briefly). I’m the only guy in there in the initial dance.

Gangnam Style - Dress. Reh.

I never, never thought this would be possible again, but the proof is in the showing! Sure, I still had loud tinnitus but it had calmed enough to do this. It took time, but there it is! I’m presuming the message is clear…Even with the extreme level of damage I had, life can come back.

* Just a note though for those not stage accustomed. If I was in the House (theater seats) I would have to wear earplugs, it was too loud. However, on stage the volume from the monitors was actually much lower, so it was not too bad. But still way, way louder than the hiss of car tyres on a freeway in 2006.

Healing happens!

Best to all… Zimichael

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 3
    18. NancyMaeMorales

NancyMaeMorales Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Hi all! I am new but I love this thread! My T is relatively new so it was a definite shock to learn that I may have to live with a new friend in my ear.

And to cope with that, I started this challenge for myself and to find at least one thing that made me happy or smile a day. It's called the #100happydays challenge and people usually post it in their social media, blog, etc. www.100happydays.com for more info.

I won't bombard you with mine but I wanted to share that it has completely helped me tremendously to stay positive and to see the little joys of what life has to offer.

• Like Like x 4
    19. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

Thank you Zimichael....I'm a bit older too...it's good to know that life goes on...

20. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I had a wonderful Mother's Day! Instead of dinner I asked to go to the Aquarium and we did! It was so much fun to see all of nature's sea creatures...except they didn't have a manatee or an orca. Guess you have to go to Sea World to see those creatures. The sea horses are my favorites..they are so cute. My T? yeah, it came along but it didn't spoil anything. It kind of moved into the back of my mind--I heard it but it didn't interfere with a good time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    21. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Happy Mother's Day everyone! I'm having a bit of a loud T day and I was struggling a lot but I gave my mother a call (she's 8 hours away) and it made me feel a little bit better to talk to her. My mom is awesome and the support and love and care she and my boyfriend have given me since I got the T weeks ago has been amazing. And with the help of friends I am slowly but surely getting back to living life happily again. Just take it one day at a time and think of all the good things life has to offer you!

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I went on a work trip with 18 teenagers + me + one of our volunteers. I was very nervous because I had never been to the places we visited before. Also they are teenagers and foreigners living here temporariliy so they really have no boundaries - they get drunk, party and dont think about consequences. Eventually everything worked out fine, they didnt consume any alcohol (we did random checkups at night) and nobody died, got injured or lost. Jeeii:)

• Like Like x 6
    23. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      That is a great video, Zimichael. I love watching it. You are the man. Right on. Live life and enjoy it abundantly, T high or low. I love that song and the dance is so full of fun & joy. My wife actually won a dance contest in a company sponsored Christmas party a year ago doing that dance. She is a naturally gifted dancer.

24. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I have made a decision: my T will not beat me. I am stronger than this. I have survived worse - I had meningitis when I was a baby and have beaten that; I will do the same with T. I know there are some bad days ahead, but that's the same with life. I am going to reach the other side. There are some good days ahead of me, and I am going to make the most of them. I will fight this and I will win. Either my ears will get better, or I will habituate to it. T has come into my life, but I won't let T take it. It may take some time - years - but I am going to beat it.

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    25. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      You can do it @citigirl13! We can do it! Thank you for your post today--it made me feel more positive after an exceptionally loud and anxious day at work.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Thank you @Kathi. I did have a rough morning, but am trying to be more positive and now feel a lot better. I'm glad my post made you feel better. What made me feel good was Fish's success story: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-i-won-against-tinnitus.4707/ You should check it out if you haven't already, it made me feel tons better.

• Hug Hug x 2
    27. DannyLad
      English

DannyLad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      I am very hopeful and optimistic about the future. Tinnitus is not something we have to learn to accept forever. A cure is definitely on the horizon.

In the meantime, this experience will make us much stronger people. ''It's not how hard you can hit! It's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!''. - Rocky Balboa. Stallone himself has tinnitus. Pain is temporary, failure is forever. So do not let this ruin you're life.

When a successful drug treatment is approved, it will be a momentous day. Not just for us, but for medical science. Being able to hear silence for the first time in years would be so much better than winning the lottery. The relief after all these years would be overwhelming to say the least.

Right now it is important to stay positive. There is more to life than the ringing in our heads. Try to look forward to things i.e I am looking forward to the summer off and the World Cup. :banhappy:

Concentrate on building up you're life. Get ready. The cure is coming. :rockingbanana:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I love this positivity thread! If I'm having a bad moment I just go here and bask in all the positivity :)
      I'm determined not to let this beat me either. I've survived so much medically thus far, PHPV, Pneumonia, Glaucoma, Blindness in one eye, this is just another thing that I can push through and come out stronger than ever before.
      So thanks for this thread guys! It helps a lot!

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
    29. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Well i am recovering from my surgery, and god knows what drugs they gave me at the hospital for 2 days but none had any effect on my T thankgod. And i noticed those 2 days i was in excrutiating pain, that T didnt cross my mind once, just wanted the pain gone.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    30. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Ouch! Sounds bad! Hope you are okay now?