The Tinnitus Relief Program by Andrew Parr (Hypnotherapy as a Tinnitus Treatment)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by joe, Apr 27, 2012.

1. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Clinical Hypnosis for the Alleviation of Tinnitus

DISCUSSION

Though evidence demonstrates that hypnosis can be of benefit in the treatment of tinnitus in some individuals, how it compares to other forms of psychological therapy still is not clear, nor is what treatment approach produces the best outcomes. Objective evidence certainly is insufficient to support the common claim of a 70% success rate; this figure appears to be primarily anecdotal. Stewart [23] recently published a review of the current state of hypnotherapy as a medical treatment. His conclusion seems apt in this case: "Despite substantial variation in techniques among the numerous reports, patients treated with hypnosis experienced substantial benefits for many different medical conditions. An expanded role for hypnosis and a larger study of techniques appear to be indicated" [23].

At present, the policy of the British National Health Service would seem the most effective at a public health level. The finding by Mason et al. [22] that counseling produced equivalent objective results with less overall session time would suggest that this approach is a more efficient use of resources. What remains to be seen is whether an intensive 28-day treatment program, such as that proposed by Ross et al. [18], will be feasible within the United Kingdom's publicly funded health care structures, regardless of its efficacy.

It is hoped that raising the profile of hypnotherapy for the treatment of tinnitus among the audiological community will stimulate a desire for research in this area. In particular, an effort should be made to engage with hypnotherapists to organize properly structured and controlled clinical trials with sufficient power to produce meaningful results. Standardized measures of outcome should be agreed on to allow comparison between trials and metaanalysis of results. Larger studies should also assess whether efficacy is greater in certain groups, so that the provision of therapy can be tailored more efficiently.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Joe -
      Good one: "seems a little snake oily?" Yes, many of us have been snookered by these snake oil salesmen. I've bought my share of ear drops, Lipoflavanoid vitamins, UST, etc. It can make a person jaded, investing hopes and dreams into things that claim to be a cure, which turn out to be only sugar and water.

Markku -
      I read a book, "Tinnitus Miracle" (about $50) which explains everything you'd want to know about tinnitus and how to cure it. One chapter is about hypnotherapy, explaining the process. It even has a script for self-hypnosis.

I think that hypnotists are hard to find. I've been going to a psychiatrist in Chicago since the onset of my "T". She doesn't know any hypnotists in our area, and this is a big city.

I think the problem with tinnitus is, once you notice it, you've established a viscous cycle. It sucks. Once you notice this thing, it becomes a fatal attraction where it becomes the only thing you think about. I think that perhaps hypnosis may break this auto-reflex.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Karl,

Is it worth it to buy the book "Tinnitus Miracle"? Have you tried any of the remedies in the book, and did you find any relief?

You're right when you say that, once you become aware of your tinnitus, you enter a vicious cycle. It's hard to think about anything else! The best thing is to try to go on and live your life, and ignore it ---- but that's hard to do, especially at night.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I bought the ebook. I didn't find it to be more than supplements and other treatments you see here.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, Calin. I suspected it might be like that. I think I'll save the $50.00 (cost of the book), and just keep coming back to Tinnitus Talk instead! I'm grateful for this site, and all the information and support you and others have offered. Don't know what I'd do without it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      anyone have tried this andrew parr program?please share

thanks

8. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Karen -
      I agree with Calin, that I can't necessarily recommend the book. There is some interesting stuff in it. The website advertises that people have been cured using Thomas Coleman's "4 Step Program". I went through the program, as best as I could, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't see results. I tried fasting, I tried accupuncture, I tried maskers. The book is a wealth of information on tinnitus. But it does not have one specific cure. Instead it has a whole smorgasboard of cures. It covers every base, leaving the reader unsatisfied in the process.

Since beginning this journey, I've read many opinions of what is the cause of tinnitus. The medical community seems divided. In reality, I think there is only one cause, but the scientists aren't in agreement yet. Sciencific truths are not determined by democratic vote. Unfortunately, there are a lot of players in this game to find a cure, as well as a lot of snake oil salesmen. It's hard to sort out who is on the right track.

Of all that I have read, I place my bets on the research done by David Corey and James Hudspeth, funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. (By the way, Howard Hughes had tinnitus) In the 1980's, these researchers worked out the mechanics of how hair cells produce sound. They determined that the hair cell bundles are tied together by a neuron switching mechanism that turns on-and-off in response to vibrations. I think - and this is my opinion - that these switching mechanisms get stuck on the "on" position, whether it's due to medications or exposure to loud noise. Some people also think there is a feedback circuit. Both of these ideas make engineering sense. I just wish somebody would build upon these concepts, and get on with it!

Even if we know "the cause", we really want to know "the cure". I truly believe the only types of cures that are effective are Dichonics, the Acoustic CR Neuromodulation (ACM) device, and, perhaps, the Serenade device. These devices aren't in the U.S. yet. Based on my understanding, both Dichonics and ACM have the tinnitus sufferer listen to a sound that is like the sound the tinnitus sufferer hears. Both of these systems have a 75% rate.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I haven't read Tinnitus Miracle either, but from day 1 after getting tinnitus I stumbled upon that book everywhere.

Tinnitus Miracle is marketed very aggressively around the net, and by many different individuals. Likely due to the profitable affiliate scheme it has built around it.

It's good to hear though that it isn't completely bull like I somewhat anticipated...

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for all the information, Karl. It looks like this book covers all the bases on tinnitus. but doesn't really deliver as far as zeroing in on any one treatment. That doesn't surprise me; and, as Markku says, when doing research on tinnitus, it's hard not to stumble across "Tinnitus Miracle"!

I'm still probably going to look into the Dichonics method, when they get an online testing program set up -- which is supposed to be some time around the end of May. It's at least worth checking out.

11. andrewp

andrewp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Hi, my name is Andrew Parr, I'm the author of the above-alleged 'snake - oil' Tinnitus Relief Programme. I've worked as a hypnotherapist for over 20 years, been involved in Tinnitus Research since 2006 and have varying successes with tinnitus.

From virtual complete cures to absolutely no change and varying degrees in between I have worked with a variety of tinnitus patients, and used a variety of techniques. I always give it my best shot - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The Tinnitus Relief Programme referred to in the link at the beginning of this thread, is a summary of some ideas and methods used.

For unbiased reviews and comments from some previous customers have a search in the RNID forum and there is a thread there.

If anybody has any questions, please just ask.
      Best wishes,
      Andrew Parr
      Professional Hypnotherapist, London.

• Like Like x 3
    12. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      i have researched hypnosis in the treatment of tinnitus and even tried hypnosis several times (desparation) but with litle positive effect except i am better able to better calm myself down

but even when quite well hypnotized i still hear the tinnitus loud and clear

but

when asleep (not 'trying" to go to sleep... but actually asleep)..i have never heard tinnitus in my sleep...never once... and not once have i dreamed i had tinnitus and i never had the perception of tinnitus wake me up ! ?

(in fact sometimes i dont hear my tinnitus for two or three seconds after waking up ! ! !)

how very strange since hypnotism is often related, (not the same of course , but similar in some respects) to sleep

so here is a question..kinda like a poll, but informal

1 have you ever been hypnotized to deal with tinnitus and has it helped

2 do you have tinnitus in your dreams?

3 and if so...has loud tinnitus in your dreams or that you heard while you were asleep ever been the cause of your awakening?

thanks for considering my questions!
      best wishes
      mt

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great topic, MT!

1. Yes, I have been hypnotized once since my severe tinnitus began. I went to a practitioner I already knew, who had facilitated some group meditations that I attended. I'm not sure she truly hypnotized me, however. It felt more like I was going into a deep meditation, and I felt that I was conscious the whole time. It didn't really help me with my tinnitus or with my insomnia, so I didn't try it again.

2. No, I don't really have tinnitus in my dreams, but my sleep is disturbed by my pulsating T, and I've incorporated it into my dreams. So, I'm sure it is still going on while I'm sleeping. I wish I could say that the tinnitus totally stops when I'm asleep, but I don't think it does.

3. No, it hasn't. However, I have sometimes have difficulty sleeping. It's not as bad as it was when the pulsating T first started, but still is a problem. I awaken most every night (or early morning) around 3:30 - 4:00 A.M., and often don't really go back to sleep. Loud tinnitus doesn't usually wake me, because my tinnitus is at its lowest early in the morning.

I'll be interested to hear other people's responses to these questions.

14. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi, here are my answers....

1 have you ever been hypnotized to deal with tinnitus and has it helped
      Yes, just once. It didnt help as I'm not a good subject for hypnotism. I've tried it in the past for other things and not been successful so I only had one go this time.

2 do you have tinnitus in your dreams?
      No, not yet anyway. Strange, I was thinking about this yesterday when I was remembering some very vivid dreams.

3 and if so...has loud tinnitus in your dreams or that you heard while you were asleep ever been the cause of your awakening?
      No. Anxiety wakes me and then the noise makes it hard to get back to sleep but I dont think the noise itself has ever woken me.

15. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      1 Have you ever been hypnotized to deal with tinnitus and has it helped

No - I've never been hypnotised.

2 Do you have tinnitus in your dreams?

Not sure but yes, I think I have.

3 And if so...has loud tinnitus in your dreams or that you heard while you were asleep ever been the cause of your awakening?

Tinnitus has been the cause of me waking up many, many times. In the middle of the night it wakes me up and most mornings it wakes me up. Mornings have always been the loudest tinnitus for me though and if I'm woken up in the night it's also far louder than it is during the day. This is why I suspect lying down causes the eustachian tubes to block more.

16. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      MT - this is interesting. Perhaps it actually denotes different types of tinnitus?

Mine began by it waking me up at 4am. That's how it started and how it's continued - being far worse at night and first thing in the morning. Perhaps this is one type of T and those who have T that is quieter in the morning is a different type. Maybe that's why mine often seems different - eg. stress doesn't affect it etc. loud noises don't affect it either - although I get anxious because I think they might and they do hurt my ears... but no change to my T.

17. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Karen , Louise , click...thanks for your responses...im thinking about this and will respond when i have an idea thats worth consideration...right now just thinking...thanks again

best
      mt

18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Strangely, the night after I made my post here I did dream about having T. I dreamt about having difficult masking it (which I am). Thsts the first time in 6 months that's its featured in a dream. I do find that strange. I hope it doesnt feature in any more as its the only time I'm free of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I'm curious to see if anyone here have had any experience with hypnosis to help coping with T? If so, what's your impression?

To me hypnosis seems like an interesting thing since T is supposed to be affecting the perception and subconscious areas of the brain. Isn't that just what hypnosis does as well? If hypnosis could convince the brain to accept the noise as more friendly one would believe that it could help the habituating process. It has been known to have an almost miraculous effect on nicotine slaves, making cigarettes seem less attractive etc. Perhaps hypnosis could make the T signal seem more attractive and/or a less interesting problem.

20. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      So, sometimes you get paid and sometimes you don't?

I'm just trying to reason this. In the article at http://www.prweb.com/releases/prwebtinnitus-cure/ringing-ears/prweb9406194.htm you are quoted: "Millions of patients with ringing ears and head noises are suffering unnecessarily, said Andrew Parr" Where have we heard that line before?

Are you saying that millions of people should pay you so that they don't have to suffer any more? This doesn't correspond with "from virtual complete cures to absolutely no change and varying degrees in between" that you write here. It seems to be difficult for so many T "treatment clinics" to moderate themselves, I think it's good that you did.

"Many are simply designed to extract money from desperate patients seeking a cure." You got that right! No cure no pay should be the golden rule. Especially when someone claims to have the solution to millions of people suffering.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Berto6

Berto6 Member

I am just wondering if anyone out there had any luck with hypnotherapy?

22. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Berto6 Like other psychological approaches to tinnitus--such as cognitive behavioral therapy--hypnotherapy probably helps most with tinnitus anxiety and possible helps with habitation. You'll need more than one or two sessions; you have to be committed. I'd use a professional--mostly likely, you can find a psychologist who also does hypnosis. Be sure the psychologist also understands tinnitus.

The major problem with hypnotherapy is finding a qualified practitioner. This treatment modality attracts a lot of charlatans: unqualified practitioners promising to "cure" your tinnitus. If anyone promises you a "cure," I'd be skeptical and move on. This is another reason I'd go with a psychologist or counselor who is also a licensed and certified health care practitioner.

Self-hypnosis is another option. At least, you won't waste lots of money on charlatans. Apps and CDs are cheap, even if their quality varies. Some people do well with a self-directed approach; others need a professional. Since you like the idea of hypnosis, you can try an app or CD. I'd look for an hypnosis app or CD by a health care professional, like a psychologist. Be wary of people who claim to be a hypnotherapist, but have no other credentials.

Regarding clinical research on hypnosis for tinnitus, very few trials have been conducted. In general, the consensus is the therapy might work, but more trials are needed. Below is an abstract typical of the medical profession's opinion on hypnotherapy for tinnitus:

Int Tinnitus J. 2008;14(2):135-8.

Clinical hypnosis for the alleviation of tinnitus.

Cope TE.

Source
      University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Cambridge, England. thomascope@gmail.com

Abstract
      The neurophysiology of tinnitus is poorly understood, and it can have an origin at a number of neural levels, making a psychological approach to treatment attractive. Clinical hypnosis has been demonstrated to be effective in a number of clinical situations, such as irritable bowel syndrome but, in other areas for which it is commonly employed, such as smoking cessation, the evidence is poor. Its use for the management of troublesome tinnitus has been discussed in the literature for more than 30 years, but little formal research has been conducted into efficacy of this treatment or the relative suitability of techniques. Despite this, a success rate of 70% is commonly quoted by hypnosis practitioners in promotional material. This review summarizes the few peer-reviewed studies on this subject and concludes that, though evidence suggests that hypnosis provides a benefit in some subjects, how this benefit compares to more mainstream approaches is not yet clear. This area is currently under-researched, and engagement is encouraged between researchers in audiology and hypnotherapists to undertake large, well-structured controlled trials with standardized measures of outcome.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19205165

23. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Berto6 Most of what I noted above has already been said on this thread!

24. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I echo what @jazz said. I tried it twice: One guy clearly was a quack (who I was referred to by an audiologist who should have known better). The other was a qualified therapist who I still use for CBT. Didn't work either time for me. The second therapist did tell me up front that its doesn't work for everyone.

25. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Anyone know anything about it?
      The Tinnitus Relief Program - "Retrain Your Brain to Turn Down the Sound" is a step-by-step system of specific practical exercises that will reduce, relieve, and even eliminate both the symptoms and effects of tinnitus, ringing ears and ear noise, starting TODAY.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D0SUYVO/?tag=tinntalk-20

26. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have tried this program by Andrew Parr. I even conversed with him. Nice guy. I did not have much success with the program. Some of the relaxation techniques helped a little but not much. I will say that I tried this was during my first few months. At that time I was very disturbed by my tinnitus and very anxious. So in fairness, I am not sure it would have helped me much anyway.

I will say that it will not by any means eliminate your tinnitus. It may help you with your anxiety which the tinnitus has caused and that is where this hypnotherapy program comes in. It teaches you to relax through breathing techniques which may help you deal with your tinnitus but that is all. I am just saying, it was not much relief to me. You can find youtube videos for free that will do the same things.

27. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      The Tinnitus miracle book...pleasedont ...infact JUST DONT GO THERE!!!!!!!

Andrew parr ,well meaning I guess ,nothing special.Sorry

28. Danil

Danil Member

Tinnitus Since:
    29. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Danni ,you will see Erik tried it and Ive tried it ,didnt work for me or Erik ,doesnt mean it wouldnt work for you.

30. Danil

Danil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks a Lot Carlover..i know they are just using our hard owned money those opportunists!