These Thoughts Are Driving Me Mad

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      The reality of having tinnitus the rest of my life is driving me mad. Moments of despair just happen out of the blue. Especially the possible worsening in the future. Never in my dreams would I ever believe I could affect my family this way.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Jason, one day at a time! As time goes on, so will your ability to cope with tinnitus. You'll always be one step ahead.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, if one were to know that T would be over in 2 or even 5 years, it would be 100 times easier to bear.

Have you experienced Any fading compared to last summer?

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Yes it changes all the time. Some days are almost silent and somedays it drives me really crazy like static in the side of my head. How can I make it in the future if it gets worse if I can't make it now. I get so dissapointed in myself for doing this that I can't bear it.I woke up on my birthday today and my wife almost called the ambulance because we thought I was having a heart attack. Chest was tight as hell and I felt like I was on fire and just kept dry heaving in the bathroom. Was terrified for a couple hours this morning.

5. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Start reading the research threads. For example, there is promising work in the field of hearing restoration which could help to reduce tinnitus.

Having hope makes dealing with tinnitus on a day to day basis a lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Life will get better even with tinnitus it just takes time and pushing through tough days and making the best of good days and try fill your life with lots of love and plan nice things to do.
      You are incharge of what makes you happy.
      Love glynis

7. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Happy birthday!

Just try to remember that there's an excellent chance you will most likely achieve habituation, and feel much better, in the not-too-distant future. It's a gradual process, but the vast majority of those with tinnitus will make it, and their T will not bother them anymore. The road to habituation included setbacks, but that's part of the process. Be very careful of reading too many horror stories or negative posts, I've had problems due to making this mistake.

8. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal

@Jason37 Hey Jason I too was over whelmed by those exact thoughts when I first got T.
      It took a while at least a year for me to get back on my feet and have some belief that I could live with this affliction. I still have awful days but I have lots of good days too....As you go down this road you'll realize that you can live with T .....T breaks you down but it makes you stronger in other ways....Hang in there keep posting ...Here is a saying that I live by
      "Be kind to your mind" Stay Positive Stay Strong
      God Bless

Carlos

• Like Like x 2
    9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Come may it be but alot of us have that same go around, it's hard to believe but don't be hard on yourself. Also, you are not going crazy, its real, and all those comments above if you put them together they are all part of T. It was an out of body experience it was serious, but work on small feats everyday it helped me to function and get on with life. You will be moving slowly until you can adjust your well-being.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I feel stupid again after last night...went out to a restaraunt for my birthday and was sitting next to my brother WITH my ear plug in and couldn't hear my T over the conversation and ambient sound....he ask me if it was bothering me and If I could hear it. I said no not really at all. He said he could hear his clear easily. I didn't even no he had it until like 3 months ago. It has never bothered him at all. He didn't even know what it's called until I told him at thanksgiving...what the heck, I must be a real pansy. My Uncle down the lane has it bad aswell. A million crickets and has had it for years...Doesn't phase him. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

11. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Eventually i think it just becomes the new normal. I know that many many months ago i heard a weird sound in my head and didnt know what it was. I figured it was strange and thought well iv only just noticed it in dead silence and thought what the heck and carried on with my life. If id known what it was maybe i wouldnt be here now because i went and made it worse to the point of it impacting my life and its still fairly mild. I freaked out about it for 2 months, obsessing over it, Felt my heart sink every time i checked to see if it was still there. Im coming round to not caring about it again its just the thought of it being for life that bothers me and the thought of it getting worse. This is the hardest thing for me i think. Iv had no luck with my NHS i believe they are a complete waste of time and energy so I'm going it alone, one day at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You are doing nothing wrong. We are all different and it can take time for us to adjust and cope/habituate. No two people are the same. No two circumstances are the same. No two results are the same. It's a day by day ordeal and that's how we should handle it. Do not ever try to compare your situation to theirs....

The good thing that you are doing is, reaching out and gaining support. That is REALLY important and a must for those that are afflicted with tinnitus. Some folks will not open up and bottle it inside and they don't move forward as fast, some might....but it's hard to do it.

Just keep up the good work and move forward...

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Tinnitus Distress does not present in more than a third of people with T. Unfortunately we are in that minority, but as habituation gradually occurs we too will have the same attitude as your uncle and brother, and most others with T, and will not be bothered by it anymore. I am not at that point yet, but know that I will be, due in a large part to the excellent advice and support from other members on this forum who have been through it.

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think this is a good sign.

15. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      My friend, I am almost 2 months into bad tinnitus. I share your feelings exactly the same. Tinnitus seems to be like a magnifier of problems we would normally deal with quite easily.

Lets just do the best we can. Thats all we can ask of ourselves.

All the best to you.