Thought I'd Post After 9 Months (for New Sufferers)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Luke B, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Luke B

Luke B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Hey guys,

Around 8 months I got an ear infection and with it came Tinnitus. A screaming sound in my right ear that never stopped. My ear hurt, I also had eustachian tube dysfunction, and I got really depressed. I went to see a doctor and she told me it would 100% disappear within 2 weeks, when it didn't, I went back and was given antibiotics and a steroid spray.

Nothing worked. After about 1 month I'd driven myself insane, constantly listening out for it, I even downloaded an app to test background noise to see at what levels the tinnitus was audible. At around the 7 week point I was sat in a field and broke down in tears when I realised I couldn't hear the birds over the sound of ringing. I started reading horror stories of people killing themselves, going insane etc..

Anyway, after about 5 months I realised that I wasn't even aware of the tinnitus even more. It was still there, as audible as ever if I really focused on it, but it quite literally did not bother me. I wasn't even aware of it. If someone had said to me after 5 months 'we'll give you £5000, or get rid of your tinnitus' I'd have taken the £5000, because the Tinnitus was a nonevent.

At around the 6 month point, I saw an ENT (I almost cancelled as the Tinnitus wasn't concerning me, but thought after a 6 month wait I may as well go) and he told me that he sees dozens of tinnitus cases a month and that it's well known that the brain just tunes it out. I know it probably sounds strange, but you quite literally forget it is there if you don't make it the focus of your attention. He also said 90% of tinnitus cases disappear within a year.

Since getting Tinnitus I have taken up Muay Thai Kickboxing, running, meditation, got a new (much better paid) job as a software developer (a job that requires long periods of silence - I thought the tinnitus would hugely impact me here...it didn't) and made some real progress in my life. The tinnitus is nothing to me, it has no impact whatsoever on my life.

At the 8 month point, so pretty recently, I felt something in my ear change. It started popping, making weird noises and felt like some sort of pressure had been released. At the 9 month point I am Tinnitus free. It has completely gone...I know that because when I sit in a silent room, if I really focus, it's just not there. But you know what? I wasn't even happy about that, I just couldn't care less, because it didn't bother me anyway.

What I guess I'm trying to say is, the anxiety around my tinnitus was much worse than the tinnitus itself. When mine disappeared I didn't even notice until something had asked me if I still had it. So don't worry, it feels crap now - but for me, and a lot of people I know (it's amazing how many people you find have tinnitus when you talk about it - successful, happy people) it has zero negative impact on their life. It's just a sound, and it's a sound you'll learn to ignore until it's not even perceptible anymore :)

• Like x 17
      • Winner x 3
      • Friendly x 3
      • Useful x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Informative x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
    2. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      Thank you so much for this post! I've had T for 6 months now and my anxiety and panick attacks had gotten better... I went back to my normal life 80% ... Still have my set backs but not like before! I was also surprised and glad to read that the ENT told you 90% of T cases go away within a year!!! That's hope for me! Most ENT tell you it won't go away and that you have to live with it.... I've had days of very very low T almost gone... So I believe it will go or it will diminish a lot by the year mark.... Now it's lower that before... Again thanks ! And enjoy silence!!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Rob137

Rob137 Member

Great to hear. Had mine for about three weeks now, and my emotions have gone up and down a lot. Yesterday I almost forgot about it. Been trying to sleep with no sleeping pills as I don't want to get addicted and I want to get used to it. It's so hard though, but I WILL persevere. This story has raised my spirits quite a lot, so thank you.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luke B

Luke B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Good to hear you're doing better guys. I am pretty stubborn with things so refused to use sleeping pills as I didn't want to let the tinnitus impact on any aspect of my life - I felt that doing that gave it power. I guess it depends how loud it is, but if you can fall asleep on a plane, in a car, or with music or tv in the background, you can definitely fall asleep without tablets. It's not the sound that bothered me, it was the resulting anxiety from focusing on it.

Rob, rather than sleeping pills why not try some ambient white noise? I used the sound of rain initially to mask it which helped a lot.

5. TMLB

TMLB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Thank you for your post. I've had intrusive T for about 2 years now and it's good to read that there are true success stories out there. Initially I was like so many people -- being a strong person, the anxiety and stress that accompanied the T at first had me very much overwhelmed. I'm doing much better now and although I'm aware of it most of the time, the anxiety has greatly reduced. I look forward to the day when I have to think about it to be aware of it. Thank you again for sharing and reminding me that it is indeed possible.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi Luke,

I am a newbie. Been suffering for almost two weeks now. Thought mine was related to middle ear fluid confirmed by 2 MDs. Then talked to a friend of the family who is a retired ENT. He said it was a delayed reaction to a loud concert I attended 2 weeks ago. Ringing went away after the concert but came back two days later when ears coincidently filled with fluid. I actually see an ENT Thursday. The one I spoke with told me he thought mine was likely going to be temporary ( could not predict for how long though) and that most chronic cases result from long term noise exposure from occupational (factory workers and musicians etc. ) or recreational ( frequent visits to firing range). He also told me to take lipoflavonoid. Your post has really given me some hope. At this point I would settle for some sleep and less anxiety and the ability to eat. I have no interest in that. Anyway, thanks for posting.

7. Thati Moreira

Thati Moreira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Great testimony. So happy to hear that things got better for you regardless of the ringing. I have had tinnitus for about 2 months now. It was started right after my first panic attack. It was a time of extreme stress in my life. I went to two doctors and after a series of exams, everything came normal. My family is in Brazil and I am thankful to have a very caring husband that did whatever he could to support me during those two first weeks. I was so depressed I didn't show up at work (shout out to my a wonderful boss for being understanding) and told God it didn't make sense to live anymore. But after a couple of weeks and lots and lots of prayer, God did give the ability to live with it. I went on a little getaway trip and while there I even forgot about the ringing. Since then, it doesn't bother me anymore.
      So for the people out there that just started with the ringing - IT DOES GET BETTER! I know it can get bad to the point of suicidal thoughts, but it does get better. The key is to accept and continue with life. And praying was the key to me. It was a great time to get to know God better.

• Like Like x 4
    8. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      Thank you so much for posting, it really makes a big difference especially on these harder days where it's so easy to get sucked into only seeing yourself as a victim. I applaud you sir.

• Like Like x 2
    9. khayla

khayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2015
      hi! i'm 13 and about three months ago i noticed a ringing in my right ear when i was trying to sleep. it doesn't bother me throughout the day, because i can only really hear it when i'm in dead silence or like at night when i'm in bed. it gets really annoying and i have no idea why i have it? like it came out of nowhere and i don't listen to loud music or anything. do you think it will go away? like i'm still really young and have a lot of my life ahead of me so i'm really scared

• Creative Creative x 1
    10. Flora

Flora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trauma/acoustic trauma
      Thank you for posting that as I am in the shaky early period and waiting for my ENT appointment. This website is a real help. You have made such great strides and I am so happy for you! Doing the best I can over here. . . .

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @khayla . there's no real way of knowing whether or not your tinnitus will ever go away. for some people it does. for many, it never does. but take some solace in knowing that the vast majority of people go on to live very good lives where the T does not affect them in any way. I've had very mild T since I was 29 (for 12 years) that got much worse about 5 months ago. But in just a few months I've been able to get back to most of my normal life as I was before the louder T. I still sleep with an earbud in my right ear (where my T is much louder than my left), but otherwise, I don't do any masking, and pay very little attention to my T. I still hear it fairly often, but it doesn't cause me any emotional distress the way it did months ago. This will be the same for you, whether or not it goes away. Get out and live your life, try your best to forget about your T, and don't give it as little attention as you can (I know that's not easy). I personally found a running earbud that clips behine my ear and a white noise maker to be a life saver for helping me sleep. A little noise in your ear (rain sound, waterfall, etc) can do a long way to helping you sleep. It did for me. 5 months in, and I sleep like an infant, though my T is loud enough to be heard over a conversation, or even the television. Let me know if there's any way that I can help you.

eric

12. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      @eric peterson

Eric, your words are very encouraging. Can I ask if you have any theories as to why your T increased 5 months ago after 12 years of it being stable? My friend has had it for 21 years following a bad ear infection and hearing loss but his has never gotten worse and he is a fire fighter exposed to all kids of loud sirens.

I have mild T for about 1 month that is easily masked but causing me great anxiety. One of my biggest fears is that it might get worse.
      Thanks

13. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Forever hopeful , frankly, I don't know why. I spent a lot of time in an ENT's office (I have sinus and Eustachian tube issues) and had an MRI to make sure it wasn't an acoustic neuroma b/c my T is so much louder in my right ear (it wasn't). I had sinus surgery to improve the sinus issues a couple months back. They are better, but I still have sinus and allergy problems. But I always have, so I don't know why that would all of the sudden make my T so much worse. I would just get on with things and assume that it won't ever get worse. It's certainly not going to make you any happier or help you with habituation to your mild T by worrying all the time. (easier said than done, I know) If it does get worse (probably unlikely), then you'll deal with it then. I know people (Dr. Hubbard on this site for example) who have habituated multiple times as their T worsened. No reason given the stats on habituation (something like 98% by 18months) to believe you won't do the same. A positive attitude and a desire to continuing living what is currently a pretty good life have been the most effective ways that I've improved. Keep your chin up and don't be afraid to lean on friends when you need them. Stay off this site as much as possible early on (I tried and still try to keep it to around once a week, not more). And if you need anything else from a fellow sufferer, feel free to contact me at any time.

Eric

14. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Thanks@Eric,

I have ETD secondary to allergies and horrific fullness in the ears as a result. All started the same tone as my T. I also have a touch of TMJ due to my Invisalign. I grind them when they are in my mouth during the day. Horrible habit I cannot seem to break. I don't do it when they are out of my mouth. Anyway, 4 months and I am done. So that does not help the fullness either.

You give good advice. This site has been helpful, particularly because people in my life do not understand, but it can be hard to read some of the stories. I feel so bad for folks who have ot worse than me and I also get scared that it might be me.

Anyway, thanks for the support.

Danielle.

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      You can speed up that process with a good hypnotherapist.

• Like Like x 1
    16. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Forever hopeful TMJ and teeth grinding can definitely exacerbate tinnitus. I personally wear a night guard while I sleep to keep from grinding. (I know from my dentist that I do). @Drecul makes a good point about seeing a therapist if you feel you need it. I'm fortunate enough to live in NYC where @Dr Hubbard practices, so I met him for a few sessions, and he helped immensely with my recovery. (I'm pretty sure that he talks through Skype with people outside the area if you're far away and want to talk with him) Getting your mind off of T is hard, but important for your recovery from this. But for me, far more important than getting my mind off of it was to learn to not be afraid of it anymore, or to all myself to have a strong emotional reaction from it. When my increased T hit in April, I couldn't be inside for more than a few minutes due to the noises in my head. I walked the streets of the West Village at night rather than sleep (admittedly not a very safe or smart idea). I was once in the subway station in Grand Central and could hear (and in my mind) 'feel' my tinnitus almost shaking my head. In retrospect, a lot of this feels silly now. It's just noise in my head, and frankly not a big deal. I can still hear my T in quiet rooms, and intermittently through the day. But it doesn't stress me anywhere near where it used to, and it stresses me less with each passing month. Masking at night is the last and only 'accommodation' that I allow myself for tinnitus. I don't honestly know how long I'll need to keep masking at night. I wear a small runner's ear bud (right ear only) and play rain or ocean noises to help sleep. I often wake up and I've knocked the ear bud out while sleeping, then just throw it back in my ear and I'm back asleep 5 minutes later. 4 months ago, masking like this + ambien gave me a few hours sleep. Now I haven't taken a sleeping pill in 2.5 months and I sleep like an infant. I never believed that this would improve so much, so quickly. I thought that @Dr Hubbard was full of nonsense when he told me I'd be feeling much, much better in just a few months, and well on my way to habituating. But he was right and I was wrong. I'm sitting here right now in a room with little noise typing to you, fully aware of my T (because I'm writing and thinking about it). But the noise affects me little, and it sounds quieter too me (though I doubt it's actually any quieter than it was months ago) than it's ever been. Hang in there. You'll be fine. Just take it day by day. And if you need help, ask for it. If you need something from me, or have any questions, let me know.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      @Forever hopeful try and stick with the success stories here on this site. they'll be most helpful in your early stages (where you are).

18. Scared

Scared Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Oh Luke, thank you for sharing your story. My T is the same as yours and tonight I had the equivalent to your "breaking down in a field". I really want to get better and your story has giving me a glimmer of hope. Thank you. I am 3 months in with my T and now 1 month in using homeopathic treatment for the anxiety attacks. I just want my brain to shut T out.

19. Andy70

Andy70 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The reason ENTs say it won't go away is that T can and does get so much better in time that you have to actively listen to it in order to hear it, but somewhere it's still there and can come back. My T had practically disappeared about 6 months after onset 10 years ago. It has returned 4-5- times since then always for 4-6 weeks or so, then disappeared again each time. Now I have it again since 2 weeks, hope it gets better this time also. You can call them either "spikes" or "relapses"according to whether you consider yourself T-free in between (as has been so far the case for me).
      BTW, there's a lot of misconceptions in the medical common knowledge about T, one of them is that T is officially defined as buzzing that last longer than 5 minutes at least twice a week, although i think the majority of us would not desperately seek a cure for such a mild T, that would be no medical problem at all. This definition obviously affects the statistics. In an large Italian survey a couple of years ago, "true" T was present in only about 1% of the population

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Vipul B
      Frustrated

Vipul B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/30/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixed hearing loss, otosclerosis
      Hi, I am really surprised to know that T can get so low that we need to put an effort to listen to it. That's very heartening. I am into sixth month of nonstop extremely intrusive, screaming and changing T. Not sure if I will also reach this point where my T is barely audible.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Scared

Scared Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Luke, did you carry on using the steroid spray? I have just been to my doc to check if I can fly with this ETD and she said to use the steroid spray again. I recently have had the popping and crackling that you experienced and now can pop my ear.

22. DanielN
      Woot

DanielN Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      1.5 months in.. ups and downs... this week has been kinda tough. I was making progress... getting a little panicy this week.

23. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Thanks Luke. This is very encouraging. -- I'm at 7 weeks and frustrated but know that it will get better..

• Like Like x 1
    24. Mclyra

Mclyra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Thank you so much for this. I'm four months in and beginning to have more good days than bad days.I've barely noticed it during the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Nek
      Energetic

Nek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I got my T from an ear infection post ear irrigation.
      Your story gives me hope that mine will go away. I read it almost everyday to get me through.
      Thank you.

26. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      If that were the case ..this site would not exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    27. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      *If that were the case for everyone.

I have no idea the percentage of people that this happens to, nor the percentage of people that habituate over time, but this site gives a biased sample, most people are attracted to this site are not doing well and are looking for support.

28. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, its a blanket statement and as such , simply isnt true.

29. grecianmax87

grecianmax87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'm on my way to habituation (7 months in) from a horrible point where I couldn't ever see myself recovering so it can and does happen. In the majority of cases. I really feel for long term sufferers but their viewpoints must be counteracted by people who have managed to recover (to whatever extent).

To newcomers or early stage sufferers - this thread is a brilliant example of what can and should happen to you over time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey luke!
      thanks for your entry, its give us so much hope
      i wanna ask for advice,
      how you are doing after all this months?
      would you recommend to avoid concerts, clubs?

thank you! :)