TIN-ACT: Research School for TINnitus Assessment, Causes and Treatments

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Berik, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dutch University of Groningen will train 15 PhD students and attribute €4M to research the origin and treatment of tinnitus.

This is a collaboration with several institutes in Europe (CNRS, University of Nottingham, Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin and Cochlear Research and Development).

Translation into English via Google Translate:
      https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.oogtv.nl/2017/09/umcg-stelt-vier-miljoen-beschikbaar-tegen-oorsuizen/&edit-text=&act=url

• Like Like x 17
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      This is TIN-ACT (I adjusted the thread title). Here's the EU CORDIS' page on it:

http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/211525_en.html

It's somewhat similar to ESIT in that both train 15 PhD students.

We're (Tinnitus Hub - the non-profit that operates Tinnitus Talk) a partner organization of both TIN-ACT and ESIT.

The ESIT kick-off meeting was this July. TIN-ACT will be kicked off in Groningen, Netherlands on December 14-15 this year.

We'll have a similar report of it posted afterwards as we did on ESIT.

• Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 5
    3. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Too bad it's only in Dutch. I can't read the articles.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      This is very encouraging news and hopefully the research will yield some valuable information and give tinnitus sufferers hope for effective treatment(s).

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    5. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Wow, exciting news!

By the way:
      So, again, recovering input by regenerating hair cells may improve tinnitus or even get rid of it.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Great news! GO research...!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This is great. I actually had to read the post three times because I couldn't believe at first that something this good could happen for us. Finally we're off to some start.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I could translate if needed. Can you guys read it or should I do that?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Some time ago volunteers (subjects) were asked to participate in tinnitus research (same university). I agreed, but never heard anything again. I wonder if this is the same research :)

It also involved MRI if I remember correct.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Translation would be good for those who do not speak Dutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I checked the Google translate translation. It is well done, so you should be able to read it there.

• Like Like x 4
    12. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Better late than never, I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I study at that university! Computing Science nonetheless, but maybe I can use my programming skills to help out :)

The Dutch articles hardly contain anything interesting to anyone already familiar with tinnitus. The only remarkable thing is the small comment section under one of the articles is full of people offering themselves as "guinea pigs".

@Markku's links are more interesting. The CORDIS article actually links tinnitus to a loss of productivity and societal costs.

I never thought that there would be so much research so close to where I live, with Audion Therapeutics and now this. Of course, any research anywhere is good news :)

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 3
    14. TINACT-flyer.png

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Dear members,

Last week I attended a TIN-ACT workshop, you can read my report about it here on the Tinnitus Hub blog.

It's truly wonderful that as a patient organization we can be so directly involved in tinnitus research :) And they're seeking more direct interaction with patients, so please tell us what you think about TIN-ACT below!

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    16. Otana
      No Mood

Otana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks for the great write up and keeping us all up to date. It's encouraging to hear more research resources being put into the causes of tinnitus. Very much looking forward to an update for the upcoming conference in May.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi all! Tomorrow I'm taking the train to Berlin to attend the next TIN-ACT meeting. We were specifically requested to help with training the students on public outreach and communication, a topic that we happen to know a thing or two about ;)

For the hardcore interested folks, I attached my draft presentation here; I'll probably tweak it further on the train tomorrow.

We'll also be advising them on how to improve their website for public communication purposes; let me know if you have any input!

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 7
    18. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The TIN-ACT program has now concluded!

We worked with the TIN-ACT researchers to create this series of 14 videos — Go check it out if you are interested in tinnitus research, or if you want to know the answers to some basic questions like: What is the role of neuroplasticity in tinnitus? Why doesn't everyone with hearing loss get tinnitus? Is tinnitus related to other chronic conditions?

We were encouraged to be part of this program that is so interdisciplinary and focused on both the basic mechanisms of tinnitus as well as developing new treatments. We hope to be part of similar future endeavors in our joint quest for a cure.

• Like Like x 9
    19. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It’s good to see that there is help on the way. But it might be too late for me, unfortunately. I think it will take another 20-30 years until there is some treatment available. It’s the most complex neurological disease, just like the Brai3n clinic said.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      I think if the military or some other entity put money into it, they would figure out a way. It's just pennies being spent on tinnitus research.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      1.5-2 years maximum and the first treatments will be available. 5 years from now and we will have a handful of treatments to choose from, neuro stimulation, pharmaceutical and even surgical/invasive. 7-10 years tinnitus will be curable for many, as well as preventable after noise exposure.

That is not optimistic thinking, it is realistic. The pipeline is full and plenty are already in the clinical trials, Phase 2 and forwards.

Concerning for me is the fact that ETD, the random ear pain, crackling/popping of the ears, fullness etc are symptoms that will not be cured with the current pipeline and these symptoms also bother many tinnitus sufferers.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    22. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Did they come up with any novel treatments?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    23. dbeats

dbeats Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Please show me the data backing up these statements. There are things in the works, yes, but "curable"? "Preventable"? Big words you are throwing around here...

24. MickeyAdams

MickeyAdams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      :eek: God willing!!! :rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. InNeedOfHelp

InNeedOfHelp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI Scan
      I think there are a dozen pre-clinical studies at the moment which completely diminished tinnitus in vitro, in vivo animal models. That does not directly translate to humans, I know. In 10 years from now hearing cell regeneration and synapse restoration would be well established. Combining that with inducing neuroplasticity through either neuromodulation, potassium modulators, inflammation blockers, novel routes to bring medicine to cochlea etc, and further all the way to deep brain stimulation, implants/surgery, and a dozen other potential routes, I'm confident the actual breakthrough which we need already took place, but has to be developed further. We are just sceptical because of countless disappointments in the past. All of this research publications and discoveries you see here today will bear fruits in 10 years from now.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. dbeats

dbeats Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You did it again! You throw out big claims with no data to back them up. I would love to take a look at the dozen pre-clinical studies that have completely diminished tinnitus in vivo animal models.

27. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You seem very optimistic. I don't believe in any of these trials to be honest. The researchers still don't understand how tinnitus is generated. How they shall develop treatments if they don't know the causes / mechanisms?

10 years ago there was also such hype. And today? Still no treatments.

These young generation researchers need time to investigate tinnitus more deeply. 15 students is not much! It will take decades with such a team. Unfortunately the military doesn't invest in research for tinnitus / hearing loss. They could be a game changer.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Informative Informative x 1
    28. Valerian Basel

Valerian Basel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You are so right about this, I sometimes suffer from spontaneous tapping in my left ear. Fortunately not continuously but once it comes my life changes to hell and makes me very depressed and gloomy. Much more annoying than tinnitus. Why don't they investigate such complaints?

29. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      First off, you are an OG so your perspective is so very important. I like when people who have had tinnitus for 20 years speak up about these clinical trials because in the back of my mind I feel the same way. I mean some of these teams consists college professors on shoe string budgets, like WTF. The fact they have to rely on GRANTS & scholarships is bananas. A lot of these pre-clinical trials do reduce or cure the tinnitus in rats but the problem seems to be it never translates over to humans.

However, I just want to leave you with this. Somebody else told me this and it gave me hope. And you know what that was? It was MOST things that have treatments aren't fully understood either, it just works. And I know for a fact if tinnitus got major funding we could find something that manages it. For instance that Bionics Institute device that can allegedly objectively see tinnitus, they are in need of funding. This is crazy that they have to even ask, the US military should be knocking down their door to get a hold of them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Bruce NH USA

Bruce NH USA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1981; intolerable since 11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, then ototoxic vaccine booster (Moderna)
      I was most interested in the cochlear implant video. The researcher stated that patients that had asymmetric hearing loss, which I have, showed 80 to 90% improvement in tinnitus due to the implant. I wonder if I am missing something, here, because that seems like a no-brainer, if it is real...

• Agree Agree x 2