Tinnitus and Buspar? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by jadebug, Jun 2, 2017.

1. jadebug
      Depressed

jadebug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial-Aug 2011 Increase- May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; possibly antidepressants
      Hello everyone! I really need some advice! I first developed my tinnitus back in 2011 and completely habituated to it (it was pretty mild) and I didn't even think about it for months at a time.

However, a little over two weeks ago I started taking Lexapro and I also got a bad cold during this time.

Unfortunately I have noticed my tinnitus has gotten a lot worse. I only took the medication for around 10 days and now been off it for 9 days and while I think the tinnitus has gotten a bit less it's still worse than before. My doctor who prescribed the Lexapro ensured me that it would go back to its normal level because I only took a small dose of the drug for a short time.

After seeing her today and expressing my issues with anxiety and concerns over the tinnitus she prescribed me Buspar, an anti-anxiety medication.

Has anyone experienced an increase in tinnitus with this medication?

I don't think I can handle anymore increases in my tinnitus and this anxiety I have is slowly killing me.

I really think medication would help me but I'm so freaked out about the tinnitus especially since tinnitus is a side effect of Buspar. Has anyone had a permanent increase in tinnitus due to a short small dose of an antidepressant or anti anxiety drug? I'm really freaking out and maybe it's just my anxiety that's making me so worried about the tinnitus and perceiving it to be so loud.

Should I avoid the Buspar even though I think I desperately need help with anxiety?

Please someone help I'm so worried.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Mark081

Mark081 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just started taking Buspar for GAD and have had T for a couple years. When I initially take a pill, it does cause an increased higher-pitched tinnitus than (my) normal, but it doesn't last for long (1/2 hour-ish) and then calms down. Hope that's helpful

4. PrincessZelda
      Anime

PrincessZelda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2 weeks on BuSpar
      NO! Do not take BuSpar! That is what caused my tinnitus in the first place.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. quietmedic

quietmedic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma + Car horn
      Are you absolutely, 100% sure that Buspar caused your tinnitus? Was this temporary?

6. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      I take Buspar but I started it a week after my tinnitus started. Not sure if it helps or hurts it. I might try to increase the dosage but I'm worried that will affect the tinnitus negatively. Apparently it's much safer than benzos but still thinking about it causes an increase in my anxiety.

7. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Doctor increased Buspar yesterday from 20 mg to 30 mg... I noticed my tinnitus was a bit higher this morning. Not sure If it's associated or not. I hope not. Hopefully it's just a temporary increase as Buspar is helping my anxiety.

8. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Did you continue taking the buspar? Did it continue to increase you tinnitus? Every other medication I've taken for anxiety/depression has increased my tinnitus (although it went back down after discontinuing each). I'm at my wits ends. I need something to help me along.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been dealing with a new job. My tinnitus eventually stabilized. Buspar actually helped. Buspar is relatively safe compared to others.

• Like Like x 1
    10. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh that's good news. I'm glad it's helping you. I'm going to ask my doctor to try it.

• Like Like x 1
    11. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      @kingsfan, hey can you keep us posted on how you feel? I’m considering this as well.

12. CompostInTraining

CompostInTraining Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I also want to know people's experience on this. I'm considering asking my psychiatrist about it.

13. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      How does it make you feel and how is the adjustment period, @Sayeed? Do you feel intoxicated or zombie like?

14. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven’t been to a doctor yet, but I’ve found out it acts on serotonin so it will probably just make my tinnitus louder while on it.

15. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      A lot less zombie compared to other meds. I found Buspar to be one of the safer anxiety meds in terms of side effects.

• Like Like x 1
    16. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      @Sayeed, stupid question but do you still feel somewhat intoxicated/zombied then? Lol I ask because I hate that feeling. Grandaxin at least doesn’t make me feel that way. I was hoping Buspar just made you feel normal instead of “numb”.

Is there any known taper with Buspar?

17. Keith Wilson

Keith Wilson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flecainide
      I’ve been on Buspar for a week and it has made my tinnitus worse. It’s tintier and louder. I was better with Sertraline. My resting heart rate also seems to be affected. It was in the mid 60s and 70s, now it’s in the mid 80s.

18. Amy42

Amy42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid vaccine
      I've been on Buspar for years. I did not notice an increase in tinnitus, but I didn't have the constant tinnitus I have now when I started taking it. I never felt "numb" or intoxicated or different in any way on it. I take it for anxiety, but I still deal with high anxiety even though I have been taking it for a long time. It just takes the edge off. I'm not a doctor, but I don't know of a necessary taper. If I miss a dose, I don't notice any withdrawal symptoms. I hope this helps!

• Like Like x 2
    19. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      This is really helpful, thank you so much. So there were no symptoms as you first began taking Buspar to adjust to it? I’m considering starting this tomorrow.

20. Amy42

Amy42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid vaccine
      @IntotheBlue03, Buspar for me was one of the easiest meds to start, too. It has been a while, but I don't remember any issues when I started it. I hope it works well for you, and that you have no complications! Let me know how it goes. :)

21. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Sorry for the delay. I personally would take it a while longer and see if symptoms improve. If not, then stop. If you can't take it, then personally I would taper off over 2-4 weeks. At least you know you tried it and it didn't work for you. One more thing you can check off the list.

22. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure if you’re still around, but did you ever take the Buspar? I’m considering it myself.