Tinnitus and Hearing Loss After Attending a Concert

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by for_t_victims, May 23, 2022.

1. for_t_victims
      Pensive

for_t_victims Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi, I’m Daniel and I’m new to this forum.

I got tinnitus and hearing loss after attending a concert. The day after the concert was one of the worst days of my life. Realizing that this is now how it’s going to be for the rest of my life is not easy to come to terms with. Sometimes it feels like a dream; as if something like tinnitus could never happen to me. And yet here I am. Everything was fine before the show, and now my life has changed completely.

I’ve had depressive symptoms over these past few days. Low energy, low appetite, and crying fits. I think I’m slowly accepting my reality, but it hasn’t been easy. I’m afraid of the suicidal thoughts occasionally associated with tinnitus. I hope I and everyone here never succumb to them.

I’m seeing an audiologist this week to see what can be done. I welcome any other suggestions as to what actions I should take.

Thanks for reading. I’m glad I found a forum like this where we can discuss our affliction. It helps a bit to write out what I’ve been feeling these past couple of days. I wish everyone here all the best.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      @for_t_victims, please see a doctor right away. You are what they call in "acute stage" and at this point going on a round of Prednisone (preferably intratympanic steroid injections but oral is ok too) could restore some of your hearing and possibly make the tinnitus go away or improve. The window of opportunity for this emergency treatment is narrow.

I would also take a lot of Magnesium and NAC (N-Acetylcysteine).

I guess you didn't wear earplugs at the concert? Your tinnitus can still go away. Please don't forget to post back if it goes away, it gives hope to others.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      When was the concert? Seems it was recent?

Along with what @ajc suggested, it wouldn't hurt to go grab some Vitamins A, E, C to go along with the Magnesium and NAC. All of those should help clear up free radicals that can cause any further damage to your hearing apparatus.

Stay off the forums, except for maybe the Success Stories section. Feel free to ask more questions here.

Some advice I always give to anyone with tinnitus going for an Audiologist exam - politely refuse any Acoustic Reflex and Otoacoustic Emissions testing. They can be loud and you aren't doing your tinnitus any favors exposing yourself to loud sounds right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      How loud was the concert?

How long were you there?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I wouldn't count on it being permanent just yet... Ears can take a long time to heal (months if not years).

How old are you if don't mind me asking? I only ask because I've noticed that younger people seem to be more resilient when it comes to recovering from these kinds of injuries.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your injury. I got my tinnitus from loud music as well so I know exactly what you are going through right now. Important to keep in mind that even if it is permanent, most people learn to manage it. Hang in there...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      for_t_victims
      Pensive

for_t_victims Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      The concert didn't seem loud enough to damage my ears when I was in the venue. I didn't feel any pain when I was there. I've learned my lesson to always wear earplugs in the future for concerts no matter how loud it is.

I was there for about 3-4 hours.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      for_t_victims
      Pensive

for_t_victims Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thank you - I'm 27 years old.

To be quite honest, my tinnitus seems to have subsided in the few days since the incident. I noticed that whenever I feel asleep or took a nap, upon awakening the tinnitus sounded a bit quieter than before.

Despite this, I'm still planning to go to an audiologist just in case, and will wear earplugs to concerts - and be more mindful of my ears in general.

• Like Like x 1
    8. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      Are you depressed and suicidal? Some days I am.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      for_t_victims
      Pensive

for_t_victims Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you're finding the help you need. I can't imagine how it would be to have days like this consistently. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

This past weekend dealing with tinnitus was devastating and shocking for me. I had very unpleasant thoughts in these past few days since the incident. Honestly, they've been the most harrowing thoughts I've ever had in my life. I've never felt such a low mood. All the things I normally enjoyed felt empty and pointless. Thoughts of death briefly entered my mind. I reminded myself of the things I'm grateful for (my family especially) in order to push those thoughts out of my mind. It's been a long time since I've felt anything even close to something like this.

Now that my tinnitus appears to have subsided, my terrible thoughts have left me. I've been cautiously optimistic. This whole incident has felt like a warning shot for my physical and mental health.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you're into technology, an Apple Watch will warn you if the environment you are in is too loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      for_t_victims
      Pensive

for_t_victims Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thank you, I didn't know that the Apple Watch had this feature. That's very good to know. I might actually consider buying it now just for this. Do you have one yourself? If so, how has this feature affected what you do/where you go?

12. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I bought an Apple Watch just a few weeks after my tinnitus became serious. I bought it for this very feature and I use it every single day.

My tinnitus is pretty bad, and my ears seem to be more prone to damage now. I always wear hearing protection when ambient noise is above 70 dBA. The watch allows me to check when I need protection or not.

Also, if I experience any loud sounds such as motorcycle going by or dropping something I can go back and see exactly how loud the sound registered so I can take appropriate action.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      So mine is 24/7 screaming and not going away. I will probably have a stroke or a heart attack sometime in the next few months or years because I almost constantly feel like I’m crawling out of my skin. Been like this for almost a year now...

Be real careful…mine went away once before and I had my fair warning. But, once you’ve had tinnitus you are very likely to get it again unless you are really really cautious with your hearing.

Best of luck and be safe!

• Hug Hug x 1