Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Has Turned Into Chronic Ear Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lesky, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No Lesky, its not unreasonable.
      Benzos are highly addictive as he says though. I dont think Clonazepam stands out as being more so than the others but they are all addictive and all build a tolerance. Its the tolerance that is the issue for us I think as I wouldnt care about being addicted if I could get the same effect on 0.5mg for the rest of my life as I do now. But, tolerance will happen and it would take more and more to get the same effect. Then the question is what do you do at the end of the line when you're on the highest dose and its not working for you like it did?

Maybe tolerance doesnt build if you take them ad-hoc like one a week as I had been but I now think that has caused me problems in that Ive had withdrawl symptoms which are supposedly common for Benzos; worse T and eye floaters. It now makes sense to me that this has happened. The Clonaz really stops the excess brain activity but when its gone this activity bounces back and goes wild I think. After a lot of research I saw someone give it a name 'rebound disinhibition'.

Mock T has posted that he comes off meds periodically for a time and then goes back on and they work again the same as they did. Thats one way around it I guess but in the med-less phase you'll suffer, a lot.

Someone else on here might have more to add about their experience in taking a Benzo ad-hoc.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      Thanks alot for your thoughts.

I understand that tolerance is the key factor for long term use, its not an option it seems.

Do you still take Clonazepam from time to time or have you quit completely? If you have quit completely and your tinnitus continue to worsen anyway, would you re-consider about Clonazepam then? I would really like to hear from several experts before conceding Clonazepam really makes things worse permanently if takes sporadically. I will ask my doctor and possible some other doctors.

Clearly an interesting strategy Mock T uses, I had never heard of that before. Does that mean he basicly takes them until he builds up tolerance or does he quit and start before that happens?

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm about to find the answer to this probably as after a few days where the noise has been quieter its gone loud again and is really bothering me right now.

I think its obvious that 'rebound disinhibition' does occur if Clonazepam does work for you. If it inhibits neuronal activity then when its gone those neurons are going to go back to being over-active again and who knows if this will be worse than before.

I dont know the answer as to whether this will affect T for the worse in the long term.

I dont properly know MTs strategy for withdrawing the meds as in the time-frame but the withdrawl sounds like hell. Benzo withdrawl is awful by the sounds of it and then add re-disinhibited T on top of that, pure hell.

4. Bee

Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I came down with tinnitus and hyperacusis a few months ago after an accoustic trauma. I have experienced the pain you are talking about.
      My psychiatrist (who believes in holistic approach) gave me 650mg of Inositol. This has no side effects and is a nutrient. One can take up to 3 grams.
      You can find it online or at GNC.
      It helps me sleep through the night. You can also take it during the day to calm down.
      You will find that after a few weeks of Inositol, you may have less pain

I also have a regular prayer routine. Nothing in this life happens to us by chance. It's part of our soul's mission to grow. Also keeping a gratitude journal help. Whenever I feel sad about my ears, I say" God I am grateful I can hear, I am grateful I can see, taste and smell" To be able to taste food is such a blessing.

I hope you find healing and find joy in life again. My prayers are with you.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      Hi Bee and thanks for your post!

When you came down with hyperacusis and tinnitus a few months ago, was it the first time for you?

Inositol seems mainly to be used against panic attacks etc which I am not suffering from. I take Mirtazapin, Zopiclone, Zyprexa and Melatonin to help me sleep already.

I just do not want to take something that I do not know will benefit me.

The fading ear pain for you, don´t you think thats more a product of time passing by? Than of the Inositol, there is no indication that Inositol alone treats ear pain or any other pain.
      ---
      For your last sentiments, I agree and I have really come to appreciate tasting food although it brings me more ear pain when I chew. Since I can not listen to sounds, excercise or have sex, taste is the last enjoyment existing for me!

Thanks for your prayers and hope to hear back from you again!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      October 2011 – 4 years of rehab down the drain

I have had the following priorities with my rehab:

1.To avoid constant ear pain
      2.To avoid permanently worsened tinnitus

3.To slowly come back to a normal life.

To understand how much the situation has gone worse during the last weeks I need to explain how the situation was before. I must therefore make a recapitulation from 2007 and forward.

You can say that since 2007 when the problem started I have always had problems in ONLY one of the ears - its a one sided problem. Even from the very beginning have I been very cautious to minimize the risk of the problems getting permanently worse. From the start when things were worst it required a lot of discipline. When I am exposed to sound the constant pain gets worse, my sound tolerance is lowered and I become more sensible of other stimuli like physical activities, and the tinnitus increaes.. Initially I therefore immediately went to bed and rested in silence as soon as I started to feel discomfort in the ear, or the tinnitus got worse. I rested until the pain disappeared and tinnitus went back to its normal level.

It was the same when I had been out walking, or become nervous - the tinnitus and pain would be stronger. It could several ours or even to the next day before the tinnitus was normalized again.So I had to lay in bed during this time.

Anyway, as the years passed the ears could cope with longer periods of sounds or physical activity before the tinnitus went worse, or the pain got significantly worse. I could watch TV and have shorter conversations with only a temporary setback in tinitus and pain. A few ours in a silent room with a book would be all that was required to for the ear to recover fully.

Pushing the limits – stupidity takes over - the Michael Jackson trial

The last months I have been pushing the limits when I’ve seen American Idol and other programs on TV. I have felt more tired in my ear, but have not experienced any increase of tinnitus during this time. Somehow over the years a feeling of security has been sneaked upon me, the risk of getting permanently worse has been underestimated. I have pushed myself quite hard every now and then and only have been feeling tired in the ear, which has been cured by resting periods.

This, and my own stupidity led to the event that would destroy everything. It was in the end of september when the Michael Jackson murders trials begun. The first step towards my doom was when the judge decided that the trial would be broadcasted on TV. If that would not have happened, I would not be in this situation today.

The trial started the 27th of september. I watched the live feed from CNN on the internet together with other Jackson fans in a live chat. Tuesday the 27th passed with relative ease, and I did not feel any alarm clocks ringing.

The 28th september I started to get really tired in my ears and during the lunch break in Los Angeles I was resting in my room between 21 and 22:30. I still did not feel like I was on thin ice, just temporary tired in my ears.

I belive the reason that I became so tired in my ears was due to the low quality of sound broadcasted from the trial. I believe it was played in 61 kbps. In other words, lower quality than ordinary TV or music. Somehow I ignored this fact and thought that since this trial only happens once in my lifetime I will endure some pain to be able to witness it.

I did not notice any difference in tinnitus during the trials second day. I did however become really tired in my ears. If my tinnitus would have increased significantly I would probably have saved myself from the situation.

When the trials ended at 01:00 I rested until the trials began again the next day at 18:00 Thursday the 29th september. During this day I became tired in the ears very fast and I experienced a phenomena I have never had before. Distinct high frequency beeps emerged in a steady pace in my left ear. I left the room and went to listen in another silent room. There I could not here these beeps, and so I went back to continue to listen to the trials. In hindsight I feel like a complete idiot for doing this - obviously the auditory system signaled it was in distress, but I did not listen.

I was however not alarmed since my tinnitus was still on the same level during the night and the following morning.

Friday the 30th september I used the idea that this was the last day of trials for the week as a motivation to continue to listen despite the ear pains. I believed that I would be able to rest during the weekend and be recovered until monday evening when the trials were to start over again. An instance before the trials were supposed to start I got a call from my 96 years old grandmother. I had not spoken to her for six years due to severe ear problems and could therefore not end the call quickly, even though it fatigued my ears even more. It makes me really angry that I now somehow associate my grandmother with my current horrible situation.

Finally I made an additional stupid mistake. When the trials ended at 24:00, one hour earlier than usual I decided to watch the evening’s episode of American IDOL that I had recorded. I justified this by thinking that after I had done this, I had the rest of the weekend to rest. Obviously I did not feel very tired in the ears after the trial, or I was just extremely stupid.

I noticed when I woke up on saturday that I had the worst tinnitus in months, or maybe years. I felt worried about this, and though that I really had to rest during the whole weekend so that I could be back to normal again on monday. Unfortunately I did not get better during the weekend. Despite the alarming increase in tinnitus I never understood that I was in an emergency situation.

Hell breakes loose

Monday the 3rd october I was still tired in my ear, and had now begun to think about if the low quality of the trial audio stream was the cause. I decided therefore not to follow the trials until my ears were recovered. Until thursday the 6th october no major changes happened. I did however notice that the ears started to respond to increased heart rate again, and I started to worry that things would get as bad as it was several years ago. I spent a lot of time reading in my room and during the week, and I remember not worrying about my tinnitus. I did watch another TV program thursday the 6th october and became very tired in the ear afterwards. Friday the 7th october I started to become really worried when I had to spend all day in the silence of my room and still feeling very tired in the ear and having really unpleasant tinnitus.

During this weekend (8th and 9th) I spent more or less all time in silence in my room. At the start of next week I was really concerned especially since my tinnitus seemed to increase dramatically. This was the biggest difference between this situation and normal ear-fatigue; I had higher tinnitus than normal more or less constantly. Normally I only experienced this after a noise injury.

When an additional ten days had passed the situation had not improved,on the contrary it became worse. During the first days of rest the tinnitus was decreased slightly during the nights, to get worse during the days. From friday the 13th october the nights stopped have any positive effect on the tinnitus I did now have tinnitus like after an explosion more or less 24/7. I would approximate the increase of tinnitus to about 100-200 % in my left ear.

It always feels like there has just been an explosion in it. I have never before spent ten days of resting in silence without improving the situation, and especially not making it worse.It’s always been the case that the ear and TT has been better when I wake up in the morning, which gives some kind of relief during the night and the early morning. This is no longer the case, it is just going on all the time. I can spend ten hours in bed, and when I get up my ear is completely wasted, and the TT is going on like a locomotive.

One mistake, and everything is destroyed.

Most of all I hate myself for being so stupid that I let the things above destroy my future. I had promised myself that under no circumstances risk anything during my “rehabilitation”.

I want to scream what kind of idiot I have been, and beat myself for letting this happen. Every time I wake up the first thing that crosses my mind is: ”How could I let this happen?"

But, Instead I do everything I can to sit still in my bed doing nothing. I try to read books and other things to distract myself from seeing the reality. Previously I have always been able to blame someone else, I have only been the victim of bad circumstances and bad luck. But this time I am the one to blame, and it makes me panic. It is enough to live with the consequences without being the one responsible.

Impossible to see beyond the misery – self control does not work.

I am just sitting and crying and shaking, and have no clue about what to do. Everything I do is increasing the problem. When I am writing this message my tinnitus and pain is going up.. It is horrible! I cannot describe how it feels never to get a break, and to know that I have damaged myself and has to suffer for the rest of my life.

Crying does not give me any relief either, as soon as I have stopped crying everything feels as bad as before since nothing has changed. I have no clue what to do, and I no longer have the energy to continue to fool myself that everything is going to be ok. This has hurt me in many ways, both physical and psychological, and it is heartbreaking to think about what I have done. After being so careful for so long, and told people to be quiet and careful its like the biggest mockery of all that I did this myself. I just want to throw up when I think about it, and all my memories from my life before this lands upon me like a ton of bricks.

To be able to move on I need the acute pain and situation in some way moving in the right direction, before that everything just feels worse all the time since you realize that the damage is more severe and that the error you have done is going to cost you more than what you initially believed. Since my situation is depending on resting in silence this was the worst thing that could have happened. I can be in great amounts of pains, just as long as I know that there is an end to it. But now, with this new tinnitus from hell, there is no end in sight. Having destroyed the relative silence I had is a catastrophe, maybe the worst that could have happened, all things considered.---

Finally, regarding the trial. One could think that it could not have been so bad since the trial is mostly one person speaking in a quiet room. It must have been the poor quality of the sound in combination with the exposure time that made it so bad. To think about me sitting there, listening in pain and not putting it to a stop is making me crazy. Nothing else could have done this, since all other programs are maybe one or two hours only.

It feels horrible to think that this would not have happened if this doctor had not murdered Michael Jackson, and that the trial just happened to be when I was good enough to be stupid and take risks. If it had been earlier when I was worse I would never have listened to it. I could never have thought it could end this bad. The small amount of acoustic shocks that has happened previously during the rehabilitation has never led to any permanent increases in tinnitus, so this is obviously much worse.

I can compare this to sitting at a party for 4-5 hours every day with fatigued ears listening to music. I just thought that even with fatigued ears, sounds at low volume could not be harmful, in contradiction from what I had always believed.

It’s sickening that my previous situation now suddenly feels like paradise. I’m so angry for not understanding howserious it was to provoke the situation to make it worse. Obviously the previous years of slowly improving made me cut down on the safety thinking.

Oh, well, I do not know what to say more, it is just guilt, pain and anxiety. I do not know what to do, or how somebody could help me in any way. I just wanted to get rid of some of this pain. Usually this feeling of: “I cannot take this anymore” happens a couple of times a day, and I fight them as hard as I can.

When I had a normal life a happening like this was still horrible, but it was still a question of living a normal life with a slight increase in tinnitus , and now it is about if I can manage to live at all. Tinnitus was not as big a problem when I could do sports 10-15 times a week, work, met friends, girlfriend and so on. Then I could also flee from the tinnitus with music, movies and other sounds.

That is why it feels so horrible and sad now. Especially since I made this to myself out of stupidity, not because of someone else, or pure coincidence. This also happened at the occasion when I was able to start doing things again without a permanent change to the worse. It feels like I lost my last chance. I’m so angry since the tinnitus is so aggressive now and pulsating. It does not feel like a monotone sound anymore, but more like a living creature since it is changing character and strength all the time. And it is not possible to do anything without making it worse. Everything leading to this is a trauma played over and over again and again since the consequences seem to be worse all the time the guilt and anxiety is just increasing.

I have tried to find excuses for myself, but I cannot – to much is at stake. I have no guarantees that I will get better, no one knows!

Please remember that this long message above was written in october, 2011 - and is not a reflection of my current situation! If I had knew back then that I would only get worse from that point and on I would probably not have been here today!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      Thanks. Obviously I think the key is to find out if "rebound disinhibition" means going back to baseline level of tinnitus OR if it makes it WORSE. Thats incredible important to know about. Personally I would find it very hard to believe it would make it permanetly worse, but I am no expert of course :)

Have you had your MRI done yet btw?

8. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      T is listed as a Benzo withdrawl side effect so it sounds like even if you dont have T already then you risk getting it when withdrawing from a Benzo. So that makes us who do have it already especially vulnerable. I do need to research it properly. MT might know better as he does do the withdrawl.

I do think its the Clonazepam thats giving me worse eye-floaters though.

No, not done the MRI yet as I want to go in an open one and they have to cross fund it at my doctors as its in a different area and thats proving difficult for them for some reason.

9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its not looking good for Benzos use for T. ive read something else that says you can get the rebound effect even after a short time. Clonazepam is the only thing that give me any relief so I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Taken from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1670117/pdf/bmj00130-0063a.pdf..................

Benzodiazepines and tinnitus
      SIR,-In his discussion of the causes and management
      of tinnitus Mr M Hawthorne points out
      that benzodiazepines should not be used to treat
      tinnitus because their long term use is detrimental.'
      I should like to add to this that withdrawal of
      benzodiazepines after long term use is a well
      documented but often unrecognised cause of
      tinnitus.` It may be related to the hyperacusis
      characteristic of benzodiazepine withdrawal, and it
      usually disappears once withdrawal is completebut
      I have seen patients in whom tinnitus persisted
      for many months after withdrawal from benzodiazepines
      was complete, and similar cases have
      been reported.4 In one of the reported cases the
      tinnitus was relieved by diazepam.
      Tinnitus is common and has many causes,
      but questioning patients about their use of benzodiazepines
      may elicit a cause that usually has a good
      prognosis.
      LINDA BEELEY
      Queen Elizabcth Hospital,
      Birmingham B 15 2TH

1 Hawthornc Al. Ann quiestions. B.IJ 1991;302:1266. (25 May.)

And this is terrifying.....
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

10. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I understand the wanting to jump in front of a big trucker, i want to the same because of my T and hearing loss, and tmj pain complications

11. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      does anyone know where Lesky went or why he hasn't been posting?

12. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Sen im wondering the same thing, what happened to Lesky, did he get any better? I hope he's still hanging on?? I hope he's okay

13. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Dear Lesky, some doctors are more willing than others to prescribe something like Clonazepam. I use Clonazepam sometimes to help with my wretched T. It helps a little, but not a whole bunch. I'm frustrated reading your post, not at you of course, but at your doctor's lack of sympathy or whatever you want to call it. I'm not picking on doctors here, there are many good one's out there, but some of these butt clown MD's need to experience some of the ailments their patients are experiencing so they might be a little more willing to prescribe a medication, even if it gives a little bit of relief. Maybe it time to see a different MD. Just my thoughts. Hang in there my friend......... Rich

14. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

When I posted to Lesky's message I didn't realize how old his last post/message was. I hope he is alright....... Rich

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I really hope he's okay. It's a terrible condition.

I'm struggling too and I'm scsred to get into the state he got into.

I'm just trying to brave life, not wearing ear plugs unless its over 85db. But there are so many things that could produce noise randomly, how do you protect yourself against those?

He seems to have deteriorated so quickly from a few shocks, which would normally only cause spikes from what I read. Why could he have got bad so quickly?

Am I supposed to just sit in a quiet room for a couple of weeks? I got T 3 months ago but in the last week I had a spike and now have H which is getting worse and worse by the day. :(

This makes me so scared, and I really hope he is okay.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Gio Makyo

Gio Makyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/19/2014
      I've been diagnosed with TTTS. The strange thing is that even as I started to control my anxiety and startle reflex, and see improvements in sound tolerance, the pain kept going in the other direction and spreading. My H has improved some overall, but ear pain is worse I have TMJD Pain now as well, and nerve pain in much of my face head and neck. Also quite clear that when the pain is more severe, H is worse, and when the pain is down some, like after a really good night sleep, the H is also back down. I have yet to receive any good explanations for this. TTTS theory suggests trigeminal nerve involvement, The neurologist won't diagnose that, and it's more than just that anyway. Should add that I had none of these shoes prior to receiving an acoustic shock which caused T and H. So I tend to agree with you that they don't understand what's going on with ear pain that comes from H.

I can't get my head around it. Best I've been able to come up with is that hypersensitivity in the ears can also lead to be hypersensitive pain response as well. In my case, the pain came on gradually, and it was very much connected with using ear protection. The more I used it, the worse the pain, the point I can't use it. You can imagine how much fun it is for me to go into the city to see doctors now. Deep end of the pool. Since you use it 24 seven it seems, it might be something you need to consider. You are putting stress on the area around your jaw and Trigeminal nerve by using ear plugs/muffs. Believe me, I realize how hard that can be. Just a thought, something for you to examine.

• Like Like x 1
    17. I tend to agree with you..and those with tmj have extra issues using ear plugs (more pain) All my nerve pain, H came on at same time..No acoustic shock for me, just a worsening of TMJ and motorcycle accident.

WHAT IS CAUSING WHAT? h causing neuralgia? neuralgia causing h?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      My ear pain sounds just like leskys but mine does worsen my T its been getting louder and louder in the past months due to stupid random exposures i blame myslef.. I feel like my ear cant recover from it like a open wound and is just taking everything in all the pain all the spikes volume increases its just too much... I also believe it isnt just hepracusis i must have something far worse just talking my ears burn up and reactive t kicks in hard.... This sucks bad.. But leskys is just pain not really loud t i have it both ways....

19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Sounds like severe TCD.

20. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      What it that never heard of it...

21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Severe thalamo-cortical disrhythmia.

• Winner Winner x 1
    22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I can guarantee you have it....so now you know your diagnosis.

23. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I did a quick search i dont think its that.. U know what i read a post a while back about someone talking about his lumbar i actually fell 2 years ago and caused a little permanent damage.. It was never a issue to my t.. But i think i damaged nerves as my left leg always tinggles never really notice it as much because all my attention is on t and h... I wonder if there can be a connection there...

24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      What makes you think its not that?
      I thought your T was caused by acoustic tramua...

25. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Yes and kinda.. I went shooting without protection but got t that day it went away fast forward 6 months and it onset while i was going through a hard time(stress) so its a connection between both...

26. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Which is exactly my cause too....so there you go.... TCD.

27. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

In my opinion....but is only an opinion then don't kill me... H is the results of continue tensive status! Nevralgia can create a tensive status and give "fuel" for other neurological conditions.

• Like Like x 2
    28. Agreed. You shall live. X.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      And is it treatable or do we just suffer from it?

30. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Is this the reasoning for my pain?? Or the reasoning for my worsening of my t that just takes off after every sound?