Tinnitus and Mobile Phone Use

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Carlo, Oct 9, 2013.

?

If your tinnitus is only in one ear, is it in the same ear you normally speak to the cell phone on?

1. Yes, the same ear

20 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. No, the other ear

24 vote(s)
    24.5%
  3. My tinnitus is in both ears

54 vote(s)
    55.1%
    1. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I found this article on the BTA site, probably the matter has already been discussed here or maybe not...

Last updated on 22 May 2013

A recent study has claimed that four or more years of mobile phone use could double the risk of developing tinnitus.
      Any mobile phone use made the risk rise 37 per cent while those who used their phones for an average of ten minutes per day were 71 per cent more likely to have the condition. The findings are published in the journalOccupational and Environmental Medicine, and are based on a study of 200 people.

It is thought that the microwave energy produced by the phones might be the cause of the problem.

Veronica Kennedy, Consultant Audiovestibular Physician and member of the BTA’s Professional Advisers’ Committee comments, “The association between tinnitus and electromagnetic fields is not a new idea with electromagnetic fields being put forward both as a cause and treatment for tinnitus. Some people have attributed their tinnitus to the sounds generated by electromagnetic fields within modern electrical wiring or power plants. Electromagnetic therapy has also been used to treat tinnitus. This is an interesting study but there are a number of complex factors underlying tinnitus which have not been addressed in the study. The link between mobile phone use and tinnitus remains unproven with further work still needed.”

Dr Hans-Peter Hutter, of the Institute of Environmental Health, at the University of Vienna in Austria, one of the authors of the study agrees: “I was actually surprised that we found [a pattern]. This is the first study that has been done, so more work needs to be done.” [1]

References
      1 Tahir, T ‘ Mobiles ‘double risk of tinnitus’, Metro, 20 July 2010

Hutter, H-P et al. ‘Tinnitus and mobile phone use’, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, online.

This article originally appeared in the Autumn 2010 issue of Quiet.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes around the time I got T , I had been using my cell phone and cordless phones a lot, due to some family emergency. I do believe that the phones contributed to my T besides aspirin.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      well, we are going to have millions more with tinnitus then that's for sure since 6 Billion people on this planet have access to cell phones which is 1.5 Billion more than people have access to working toilets

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I can't use my mobile without getting a dulling sensation of my hearing and my tinnitus getting worse, I only use speakerphone now, or on-ear earphones if I cant. I've always felt that heavy use of mobile phones made my tinnitus a lot worse, but I couldn't escape them with my work.

It'll be interesting to see if they can replicate the results and if there is a link, it could just be the way the speaker reproduces the voice that doesn't agree with my ears.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. latestnight
      Crappy

latestnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2010
      Same here for the most part. Great description of how my ears feel if I hold my phone against my ear for more than a few minutes.

6. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      An interesting subject.. I am old school. Mobile phones in my youth were the thing of science fiction and I for one wish they had stayed science fiction. I think it says a lot for our current civilization when more people feel they need a mobile phone than a good place to sit and take a crap. Looks like I am starting to rant a little so I will shut up.

Is it that the usage of mobile phones in themselves that can cause tinnitus or is it just old fashioned noise exposure due to the prolonged usage. It would be interesting to know the amount of time the average person spends on a mobile phone.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I regret that in the past I often used my mobile without on-ear earphones. Usually anyway I always made short calls, now I only wear one earphone in the ear opposite to that where I have T, or I use speakerphone.

8. AdamB

AdamB Member

Wow... 71% with only a 10 minute phone call a day. That's usually considered a pretty short call too

9. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Adam -
      "Inner ear devices"? Not sure what you mean by that. Also, "there are many effective therapies", I'm unclear what you mean.

Someone once told me that a lot of AT&T telephone operators have teveloped tinnitus. If so, I think that it may be due to listening to an earphone in one ear, rather than both ears. The same could be said about listening to a cell phone in one ear, rather than naturally with two ears.

I've read that the auditory system is naturally fairly balanced in volumes between the left and right ears. Animals use subtle differences in sound volumes coming from left and right ears to locate sounds. But if one ear becomes constantly more dominant than the other, this sets off an imbalance, which some say is the cause of tinnitus.

Hearing loss in one ear obviously makes an imbalance in volume levels between the ears. But, it would also seem possible that "one eared listening" (from one earphone or a cell phone) can also create an imbalance. This is a modern thing. Only in the last 100 years or so have people been listening to headphones.

Again, that's just my theory, for lack of an "official position" from most of the medical community.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Thanks to Markku for having added the poll. Could be interesting if there will be any significant statistic development...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      Not sure. I'm not saying they help, but Tinnitus has been around a lot longer than mobile phones. Also deaf people have T as well, so as I say I'm really not sure.

12. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      unfortunately my mobie phone and i spend quite a bit of time together (my family lives 3k miles away), but i try to cut down on some of the radiation by using one of these. it actually has some studies behind it, it doesn't eliminate the radiation, but directs it away from you head :)

The Pong Case by Pong Research

13. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hello there, I just have a quick question and didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd ask here.

'New' to tinnitus and today when I was searching for my phone I used another one with a loud dialing sound effect. That "beeeep" sound when waiting for the other person to answer. I put the earphone close to my better ear and it was loud. That freaked me out a little. Do you think that one loud "BEEEP" sound could cause me another spike later on?
      Or worsen the tinnitus like in a couple of days time?

Perhaps a stupid question, but I'm wearing earplugs most of the time now and every loud sound scares me much.

@Steve @erik Anyone?

14. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      From my experience i can say that if you have high frequencies T it is probably that you have damaged high frequencies hair cells like in my case. I have spike when I hear high frequencies loud noise like siren or fire alarm. I can say you do not worry too much for such sound as phone “beep” but it is my personal opinion

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      Nope my tinnitus is on the other ear, recently gotten louder. And today got a very very messed up flu. Can't even sleep even with a half of Rivotril :(

16. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I always use my phone on speaker and on a low setting. That works fine for me. But ermm, who is really calling much these days anyway!

17. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I mostly use speaker phone these days. Mainly because of my Hyperacusis but also because of fear of making my T worse by having sound directly go into my ear.

• Like Like x 1
    18. buzzythedude

buzzythedude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing damage kinks
      At one point I was worried that using the mobile phone too long would cause vestibular shwannoma to grow or form or cause another kind of tumor..I had all the tests done (and I have spent hours on end with a mobile up to my ear) and there was nothing. Not saying it is safe for other people to do it but in my case there was no problem. I would imagine very sensitive tinnitus might be aggravated by the up close sound

19. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      In my opinion it's more the shity sound quality of phone calls and people putting the phone directly to their ear at max volume that give T than the radiations.....

Sometimes you can clearly hear the conversation meters away it's like having loud headphones.

20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's an indication of loudness, not quality.
      I don't doubt that phone speakers aren't the best at reproducing sound (they have space constraints that limit their quality anyways), but I doubt that "quality of sound" (what is the definition of quality when it comes to our cochlea?) from a phone speaker has much influence on T. The volume, on the other hand...

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      its in both but focuses more in my right ear

22. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Does this also apply to just cordless phones? Because I use a cordless phone at work quite often because I have to make calls to customers and stuff, but barely use my cellphone

23. Darkener
      Frustrated

Darkener Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Possibly wearing ear plugs every night?
      Does this mean that restricting or stopping mobile phone use could help to make the tinnitus go away?

24. JRchief
      Caffeine

JRchief Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss / Stress
      i use my speaker phone almost exclusively. and i have no idea what ear i used when i had a rotary phone but it's most likely both. phones make my ears hot which annoys me so i remember switching back and forth between ears.

25. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use cell phone on my right ear but I have tinnitus in both ears. However, I've had a dull pain/ache sensation in my right ear before when I used cell phone too long. Can this be caused by TMJ?

26. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Headache, tinnitus and hearing loss in the international Cohort Study of Mobile Phone Use and Health (COSMOS) in Sweden and Finland
      International Journal of Epidemiology, dyz127, https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyz127
      Published:
      13 July 2019
      Abstract
      Background
      Mobile phone use and exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) from it have been associated with symptoms in some studies, but the studies have shortcomings and their findings are inconsistent. We conducted a prospective cohort study to assess the association between amount of mobile phone use at baseline and frequency of headache, tinnitus or hearing loss at 4-year follow-up.

Methods
      The participants had mobile phone subscriptions with major mobile phone network operators in Sweden (n = 21 049) and Finland (n = 3120), gave consent for obtaining their mobile phone call data from operator records at baseline, and filled in both baseline and follow-up questionnaires on symptoms, potential confounders and further characteristics of their mobile phone use.

Results
      The participants with the highest decile of recorded call-time (average call-time >276 min per week) at baseline showed a weak, suggestive increased frequency of weekly headaches at 4-year follow-up (adjusted odds ratio 1.13, 95% confidence interval 0.95–1.34). There was no obvious gradient of weekly headache with increasing call-time (P trend 0.06). The association of headache with call-time was stronger for the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) network than older Global System for Mobile Telecommunications (GSM) technology, despite the latter involving higher exposure to RF-EMF. Tinnitus and hearing loss showed no association with call-time.

Conclusions
      People using mobile phones most extensively for making or receiving calls at baseline reported weekly headaches slightly more frequently at follow-up than other users, but this finding largely disappeared after adjustment for confounders and was not related to call-time in GSM with higher RF-EMF exposure. Tinnitus and hearing loss were not associated with amount of call-time.

Full text: https://academic.oup.com/ije/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ije/dyz127/5532178

• Informative Informative x 1