Tinnitus Caused by COVID-19 or Loud Concert? Doing My Best to Get My Life Back on Track!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Howieeee, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Howieeee
      Smug

Howieeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 or noise
      Hi! I first found Tinnitus Talk a few weeks back, when I was deeply depressed and desperately looking for a "quick fix" (cure or relief) to my tinnitus. I decided to share my story here. However, browsing tinnitus topics on the internet for prolonged periods can be detrimental to my mental health. I may not get back to comments quickly enough.

It's been almost 2 months since my ultra-high-pitched (~16 kHz) tinnitus onset in my right ear. Timeline-wise, it started after a middle ear infection caused by COVID-19 back in mid-June 2023. Nonetheless, I couldn't conclude whether my tinnitus was induced by COVID-19 because I went to a loud concert and stood in front rows 6 days before onset (most likely where I caught COVID-19, but no discomfort in my ears afterward). I think it was June 16, when I woke up in the morning, I could hear my tinnitus. I thought it was because of illness and would eventually go away. But it didn't.

Like what many others on Tinnitus Talk had experienced, 3 doctors concluded I have normal hearing (up until 8 kHz) and the cause of my tinnitus is unknown. Though recently I completed a more comprehensive hearing test which revealed my right ear lost 30 dB at 16 kHz, the audiologist still couldn't conclude the cause. Fun fact - my left ear lost significant hearing in ultra-high frequency, yet it's perfectly fine. In the meantime, I also developed hyperacusis in both ears with much worse conditions in my left ear (normal ear).

In the past 2 months, I've had 1 panic attack, 3 major depressions, 2 times suicidal thoughts, and numerous nights with poor sleep. Again, I am not sure how much COVID-19 contributed to these. But I am certain that tinnitus triggered them every time. That was until last week when I had a conversation with a guy online. I checked his profile and comment history, which indicated that he had been suffering from not just tinnitus, but a lot of other long-COVID-19 symptoms even after a year since infection. Along with other comments I oversaw online, a thought suddenly popped up in my brain: Tinnitus doesn't/shouldn't define me or my life. It doesn't physically restrict me from enjoying my life like before. It's just an annoying sound my brain thought would be important to present.

It's been a week without major depression kicking in, though tinnitus still gives me some minor anxiety from time to time. I'm doing my best to maintain and improve the current situation. Regardless of the cause, I'm hoping I can achieve habituation faster even though I totally understand it takes time.

Also, this may sound dramatic, but coming out of depression, I found myself loving the world more. It feels great to be alive and getting back on things I used to love; to wake up and see my girlfriend sleeping quietly next to me; to be able to talk to my family and friends. Tinnitus and depression reshaped my beliefs and values but in a good way. I'm hoping I can keep this positivity and move on. Life is beautiful.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @Howieeee and thank you for your positive post. Many of our new members will benefit from positive post like yours, knowing after the initial turmoil and sufferings, there is a ray of hope amidst the darkness of tinnitus.

Your change of thoughts from depressive and anxious ones to one with hope and positivity will heal you, or at least aid in faster habituation and going back to live your life more normally.

I have ultra high-pitched tinnitus too in my right ear and a jet-engine like rumbling in my deaf left ear. I have had 2 episodes of hyperacusis in the process. After much suffering during the 1st episode of tinnitus I also, like you, don't let tinnitus define me and my life. I enjoy my life as much as I can with hobbies, travels, family and friends, and coming here to help out the suffering members. I wrote 2 success stories to share some helpful strategies, hopefully they can help others.

I hope you will continue to improve and also write your success story. Take good care. God bless your recovery.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Howieeee
      Smug

Howieeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 or noise
      Thanks for your reply and support @billie48! I will surely come back every once in a while and share my updates, just to spread some positivity to members of this community.

All the best!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Howieeee
      Smug

Howieeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 or noise
      Thought I should at least come back and give some updates every once in a while.

It's been more than 2 months since my last reply. My tinnitus and hyperacusis are still with me 24/7. However, I believe I have reached the point of "habituation" where for example I'm comfortable using my phone in a quiet bedroom in early mornings now.

Hyperacusis can be annoying sometimes, especially when I raise my volume.

I used to completely cut out browsing tinnitus-related stuff online for better mental health. Now I go on forums to check new posts when I get bored, without messing my mood.

Funny story: I sprained my ankle a week after my last reply when I was playing basketball. I thought I wouldn't be able to distract myself without sports. Apparently, my brain handled tinnitus pretty well and now my ankle (slow recovery) bothers me much more than tinnitus lol.

I really like a comment by a random person online (thank you hero) and probably my favorite quote that helped me go through the tough time: Let the tinnitus ring, and life will go on.