Tinnitus Completely Gone with Eardrops After Over a Year Plus a New Discovery (Please Read!)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Nick M, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I'm a very pessimistic person so for me to say that my tinnitus is gone today, I already suspect it coming back tomorrow but at any rate, I want to summarize my symptoms and the result of an OTC eardrop I tried yesterday evening that resulted in me waking up with zero tinnitus this morning in over a year. I also found something interesting at my workplace that might contribute to my symptoms. Today is truly a good day for me (for a change).

Just to emphasize how serious my situation had become recently, I have an appointment with a Neurologist tomorrow and an appointment with a new ENT next week for the issues that I've been experiencing. During the last couple of months, my tinnitus had morphed into this vibration sensation in my entire head. I no longer heard the high pitched sound distinctively from my left ear, it was just everywhere. I describe it as a storm in my head where this high pitched sound bounces from left to right accompanied with a physical vibration. Not only that but I had developed migraines for the first time in my life not even knowing what a migraine was a year ago. My constant migraine was somehow intertwined with the tinnitus causing some serious mental, visual and auditory symptoms. I have a dull headache 24/7 to top it all off.

Mental... who would have thought an ear infection would lead to mental issues? I was applying for a travel visa with my wife a week ago and when the employee asked me to write my cell phone number I could not remember it. I could not remember the number order of my own cell number I had for over 20 years. I had to ask my wife for my cell number. This was the first time forgetting my number. I also could not recall the year of my daughters birthday.

Visual... It's great to be tipsy when you want but if you're always feeling the effects of being a little drunk, it's no fun. I constantly have this feeling of slow motion, light hotheadedness and visual vibration when I stare at objects. I also have flashes of light when I close my eyes and my eyes randomly moving when my eyes were closed.

Auditory... During the last couple of months I developed sensitivity to sound (hyperacusis). The strange thing was that the sound sensitivity was also present in my right ear which never had any issues. In fact even more so. The clicking of my car seat belt felt like a stab in my head on a daily basis. I also sensed my hearing becoming worse overall (even in my good ear) even though the handy iPhone hearing test app was scoring me in the normal range (matched to a clinical hearing test I had a year ago). I know my hearing was not normal so this is frustrating when you describe your symptoms to a doctor and they tell you everything is normal.

A couple of weeks ago I was purchasing some cold medication for my son and I noticed ear drops specifically for ear ringing. I had tried some in the past from CVS and it never helped but when you're desperate, you will try anything so I purchased it and placed in the medication box and told myself I would try it when my tinnitus was at the all time worse to see if it helps.

Weeks went by and I never even gave it a thought until yesterday. I had not had a good night sleep the prior night, my tinnitus was at a rate of 11 and symptoms were at an all time worse. When I got home from work in the evening around 6pm, I placed a couple of drops and went shopping. I sensed my tinnitus getting worse and the muffled hearing sensation from oil in my ear added to the discomfort. I also felt some shooting pain in my ear that were unusual. Late evening the symptoms were still there, zero improvement from the drops. I used some tissue paper to dab the excess oil from my ear (I think I had put a few too many drops). I was not looking forward to bedtime because that is when I have the worse of my symptoms.

This morning upon waking up, I thought I had lost all my hearing due to the strange silence. I had to say something out loud to see if I could still hear. Not only was there complete silence but I felt great. Normally when I wake up, I hear the god awesome noise in my head right away and I don't even want to get out of bed. I felt strangely refreshed, something I haven't felt in a long time. Being pessimistic, I didn't get too excited but I could not help noticed how peaceful I felt with no tinnitus. It was Zen.

I was curious to see if my other symptoms had improved so I went to the medication box, took a pill bottle and shook it and to my surprise it didn't cause pain. I still felt a slight sensation but it was 90% improved. The crying and yelling of my children were also bearable to hear for the first time. At this point I honestly got a little excited but kept it to myself just enjoying the moment. When you have tinnitus, you learn to enjoy the good moments when your tinnitus is a low level because you know it's not going to last.

During the trip to my work, I also noticed a much improvement in the clarity and tone in sounds. So much so that I stopped and spoke to a coworker which I've been avoiding due to my symptoms and overall mood lately.

Too good to be true? I think so but time will tell. One thing I'm 100% sure of is that at no point in the past 6 months had my tinnitus been completely gone. The minimum level would have been a 2 or 3 while my other symptoms were present. Is it a placebo? I don't think if it were, all my other symptoms would still be present but they are also much improved.

So why is today a good day besides no tinnitus?

Me and a coworker had been discussing some of our health issues and we discovered that a lot of them were very similar. For example, he has been experiencing anxiety, dizziness and just generally not feeling well. We thought could it be environmental? Something popped in my head.

I work in IT and years ago when we had a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) installed for our data center, the contractor told us to avoid being in the area for too long. They didn't explain why but for some reason that bit of information had stuck in my head. We come to find out that one of my office walls shares the same wall of the USP room. This puts me about 10-15 feet away from the device. Me and a coworker decided to go into the room and take a look at the equipment. When we both entered the room and started reading some of the warning labels, voltage/amp/frequency numbers, within one minute we both developed this strange sensation/light headedness in our heads. The sensation felt very familiar to me but was much more intense. We quickly got out of there... The electromagnetic radiation that thing is putting must be absolutely insane. It was humming and buzzing with warning labels all over it. I will take a photo and post them here today or tomorrow but the strange thing was that after being in the room for a minute, a very slight buzzing began in my head again (it was completely gone prior to going in the room). My tinnitus is still almost non existent but it's not as good as it was before work.

My coworker and I talk some more and we both agreed that our symptoms improve during the weekend (best being Sunday) or whenever we're not at work. I also noticed my tinnitus would improve slightly during the weekend and I just suspected it was due to less stress but maybe it's due to our environment? I did some research and there are mixed information about EMF but something very interesting I found from a source reads:

Source: https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/emf-dangers-health-effects-radiation/

Whoa! sounds to me a perfect scenario for tinnitus. Is there a link?

I will definitely post an update in the next 24 hours of what happens. So far what I am going to do is:

1) Continue to use the ear drops once a day
      2) Move my office to a different location for a few weeks

I will post photos of the USP warnings as well as the specific ear drops I purchased from Vons if anyone else wants to try.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      what are the name of the drops? I am pretty desperate and my tinnitus is super loud after 3 years of just getting worse and worse, so i will try anything

3. kiki68

kiki68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly from hearing loss
      I would like to know the name of the drops, too. Thank you!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Update: 7pm still relatively tinnitus free. I would say it varies between no tinnitus and 1 out of 10. I've attached the photo of the ear drops I used. I'll provide an update tomorrow morning (for better or worse). I've also posted the photo of the UPS device that's 10 feet away from me. I will be moving my work office to a different location tomorrow. I'll provide updates as time goes on. I'm quite optimistic about these findings even thought in the back of my head I'm truly pessimistic.

IMG_1338.JPEG

IMG_1337.JPEG

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Also wanted to post a photo of my eardrum to show that it was definitely not ear wax related. How can ear drops stop my tinnitus if the oil never even gets near the cochlea while my tympanic membrane appears to be healthy? who knows.

IMG_1341.jpg

6. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Please list the ingredients of the ear drops.

7. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      What does it matter? It says on the sticker that it's homeopathic.

Homeopathic = water = scam.

OP is experiencing placebo.

• Agree Agree x 11
    8. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Ann V is entirely correct. Also, beware of the fact that many of these over-the-counter homeopathic supplements
      state on their labels that "results may vary." This is an obvious alibi that it will very probably do nothing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      >homeopathic

Dude you are either a scammer or a total loon.

@threefirefour get in here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      • Funny Funny x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      This is the first time being labeled a scammer so I guess I'm now officially baptized :dohanimation:

Anyhow. I'll go on with my promise to report back any new findings (for better or worse) without being affected by negativity.

This morning, Day #2 was not silent at all. On a scale, I would rate my tinnitus was a solid 4/10 even though I used the drops the same way. I also didn't get good sleep for some reason (maybe being anxious or pessimistic of the initial result) but I will continue to use the drops to see what happens.

I'm fully aware that "homeopathic" means that it has no proven medicinal uses, I wasn't born yesterday. But like I said in my initial post, when you're suffering and you come across a $6 product at the grocery store, you're willing to give it a try. You probably spend more money on chewing gum a month so it's not a big gamble or a disappointment when it doesn't work.

I'll reiterate again that in the past 6 months I have not had a day with zero tinnitus besides yesterday after the drops. Sure it can be placebo or perhaps not. Hell, "professional" doctors don't know your diagnosis 50+% of the time so one is forced to being your own doctor to try anything you can based on your best ability.

I'll continue to report my results on a daily basis for a week for anyone who is interested :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Ohhh, yea, I missed that part completely. Indeed, then, it's worth nothing and would also do nothing.

13. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I think y’all need to get over the stigma of “placebo”. Research has shown that placebo is real, and has a real effect. If placebo could lower my tinnitus, then it would be very real to me.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 4
    14. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      00CE8DF4-D844-42FC-B97C-128886F1AC1A.jpeg
      9E444726-91B0-4D9A-9E5C-53489F437D11.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Obviously if this is the case, why isn't placebo a form of possible alleviation from stress-induced T?

16. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Problem with placebo. It doesn´t last...

17. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hey @Nick M -- Congratulations on your improvements! And thanks for sharing your story. I'm very much interested in hearing an ongoing chronicle of your experiments, so please do keep us posted (at least me anyway).

I suppose your improvements could have been placebo, but maybe not. Placebo can sometimes explain improvements using homeopathy on humans, but how do you explain the improvements in animals? That's one that naysayers don't normally have a good answer to. And for those who do attempt an answer, it's pretty likely they've never read on or reearched the sometimes amazing results some veterinarians get from using homeopathics.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      By the way, those drops contain benzalkonium chloride, glycerin and purified water.

Don't know if I would be putting that in my ear, even if it can't get past the ear drum. According to Wikipedia, "Benzalkonium chloride is irritant to middle ear tissues at typically used concentrations. Inner ear toxicity has been demonstrated."
      Also "Benzalkonium chloride is a human skin and severe eye irritant. It is a suspected respiratory toxicant, immunotoxicant, gastrointestinal toxicant and neurotoxicant."

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      That’s great information. I’ll look more into it since the last thing I need is more problems besides the current ones. Can the liquid pass through the tympanic membrane and reach the middle ear if no perforation exists? The product does say not to use if the tympanic membrane is perforated or in the eyes so that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    20. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      It is. All of the studies show a real effect for the placebo trials as well. It really goes to show how powerful the mind is. It might not be a cure, but every little bit counts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Update for day #3:

I would rate my tinnitus at 5/10 this morning. During my Neurologist appointment yesterday, my BP was very elevated. I know my BP fluctuates a lot due to my stress levels but he suggested I visit an urgent care center and have them lower it to be safe. The urgent care center gave me a sedative (tiny pink round tablet) which lowered my BP but I noticed a huge spike in tinnitus. This is the first time taking a BP med while having tinnitus. I'm going to monitor my BP at home for a while to see if I need to control it with meds. I already keep a healthy lifestyle with good weight/diet and exercise so this is either due to stress or genetics. The tinnitus spike from yesterday is gone this morning.

As to the effectiveness of the drops. I'm more inclined to conclude that my initial result was a placebo. Not to say the placebo effect is not real because having no tinnitus for a day was not a delusion. If only we can make the placebo effect permanent. I almost think one would have to unknowingly be an ignorant person and actually believe they are healed even though it's clearly a placebo. When you know the placebo effect exists, it just makes the whole thing futile if that makes any sense. Anyway, I'll continue to use the drops for a few more days just to say I tried it for a week.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      @nickm

Thank you for your interesting post. I believe that certain machinery can contribute to the Tinnitus and make us feel horrible. My Tinnitus gets much worse and I feel like I’m drunk (swaying & lightheaded) when I use a certain elevator in my office building. It’s more of a heavy duty service elevator at the end of the building near my office. I now walk way around to get to the regular one to avoid this sensation. I hope your moving your office helps both you & your coworker. Let us know how you’re doing.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Thanks for the post. I know how you feel about the drunk feeling. I told my ENT and Neurologist about this feeling and they both made me feel like I was making it up. I swear sometimes either feel like these doctors have no clue, don't care or just don't know how to help you so they make you feel like it's all in your head. I have yet to visit a doctor that is intrigued by my symptoms and shows the drive to get to the bottom of what's happening. Let me know if you come across one...

Anyway, I'm deciding to end my trial of the drops as they are not doing anything. Like I said, I would be the first to admit something doesn't work, I don't get a kick out of fooling myself. I'm now also on some blood pressure meds that seem to spike my tinnitus for several hours after taking them. Hopefully this is just my body getting used to them and hopefully I won't need to take them forever. My BP has been good but I have yet to determine if my high BP is due to naturally being an anxious person, stress from work/life, tinnitus, all of the above or just genetic.

On a slightly different subject, I watched a YouTube video yesterday from a army vet who has pretty bad tinnitus and he shared what his Chinese wife researched and came up with (supplement wise) that helped his tinnitus. It's nothing secret or magical, in fact I have read people using these here all the time but the supplements included two kinds of turmeric (one with curcumin and one with garlic and other ingredients), Ginkgo, Vinpocetine and a magnesium powder drink. I've been taking this concoction for a day now and have noticed some change but I'm not going to get too excited over it and make a new thread until a week or two passes where any placebo effect would have diminished. If I have positive results, I'll share the recipe and of course be prepared to be called a scammer for supposedly having stock in one of the companies :dohanimation:.

Good luck, till next time.

• Like Like x 2
    24. MartinNYC
      Elated

MartinNYC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      Please be examined by a good ENT doc if you haven’t already to determine the possible cause. My tinnitus, which has disappeared, was caused by a TMJ disorder, which I’m working on fixing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Update. I also found out that I was vitamin D deficient from a recent blood test. I recall someone on this forum cured his tinnitus with vitamin D. There may be a link. I'm adding D supplements to my diet.

26. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Nick M -- Are you sure you're not experiencing a reverse placebo effect? ;)

27. M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      @Nick M Hey, I just had a blood test done too. Also, Vitamin D deficient; however, my doctor told me almost everyone is unless you are literally out in the sun every day.

28. M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      @MartinNYC Hey, I also suspect I might have issues with my TMJ but no one (physiotherapist, dentist) is given me clear answers. How did get your diagnosis confirmed that your tinnitus is cause by a TMJ dysfunction?

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick M

Nick M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      :) Maybe. I wish I could permanently delete the word and definition of placebo from my brain. They should really not teach this in school. Who knows how many people could actually be self cured with sugar pills if they had no idea what the placebo effect was.

I mentioned this in my last post but I'm trying this concoction of supplements and even though this is the 2nd day now, I'm seeing quite a big of improvement. However, I'm not going to get excited over it like I did with these drops and create a new thread until I've given it a good couple weeks.

I'll keep you guys posted.

30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I sometimes wish I could permanently delete the word from the brains of people who often quote it with such authority. Even though there's a certain credence to it, I think it's way too often inappropriately used and misinterpreted--like a lot of medical science in general for that matter.

For instance, during drugs trials, it seems they primarily focus on the people who've NOT gotten a real medication, and monitor what their results are taking placebo into consideration. But what about the group that DOES get a medication. Since so many medications have side effects--some of them very immediate and strong--doesn't it make sense that a good number of these individuals are convinced they're getting the real medication, and their bodies respond accordingly? In other words, sort of a reverse-placebo effect?

For myself, I've got such a sensitive system, I know when something I take is placebo or not. I know some will likely say that's being arrogant, but I've tried many things I felt convinced beforehand would be really good--and they weren't. Conversely, I tried many things I had serious doubts about, only to find they had some benefit. I think in the end, we have to put our confidence in whatever makes the most sense to us. -- BTW, I'm still not convinced your initial benefit from taking those drops was placebo. ;)

• Like Like x 1