Tinnitus Faded Below Television Level Volume — Big Spike Now After Guy Dropped Weights in the Gym

Discussion in 'Support' started by mrbrightside614, Dec 31, 2019.

1. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey guys, I realize that there are entire pages devoted to this concern, but I’m kind of at a breaking point here.

My tinnitus between the dates of 12/20-12/27 dropped so considerably that I could barely hear it on the morning of 12/27. I was considering not lifting because it was a period of untold silence—basically just sounded like a barely running faucet off in the distance, compared to the construction-sound-whirring and high frequency electric hiss that were observed at onset on 7/18.

I bought myself some noise cancelling headphones that morning and took them to the gym. A man whom I trust considerably (we’re both powerlifters) was squatting 425. I didn’t have my headphones on, nor was I spotting him, and I was at a distance of about 20 feet from him. Large environment, so sound dissipation should be fairly substantial. The guy failed and ducked out of the weight, slamming 425 on the ground while I didn’t have the noise cancellers on. Immediately the high frequency hiss became clear in my head again, and I fought through the rest of the workout.

I went to a fairly silent room in the gym and could hear the electric hiss above the sound of the pipes, but I’ve had spikes before where it was more clearly audible in this room.

2 days later and my tinnitus is absolutely raging, and maybe somewhat externalizing back into sounding like its coming from the left ear. It’s back to its original volume essentially.

I know spike prognosis is unpredictable and there’s nothing definitive that anyone can tell me. But I feel this spike in my skin and my bones, and I know it’s bad because it is seizing every bit of my attention even when I try to concentrate on passive entertainment.

My tinnitus had JUST faded below television level volume and I was thinking I had a fighting chance at total remission. This last spike is an extreme blow to my mental wellbeing. If this does not subside in like 4 weeks is this likely to be another 5-month setback?

I’m at my wits end with this condition and am back to feeling like death would be a sweet release from all the physical torment I’ve endured since my car accident that caused the hyperacusis...which led into tinnitus.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’m going to try the Tinnitus Mix provided from @R. David Case to go to sleep tonight unless this appears to be a contraindication. T-1.5 hours from sleep time. Lemme know.

3. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Did you notice that you stopped visiting this forum when your tinnitus got better? Did you suddenly lose interest in raising hell about the lack of awareness and research funds for tinnitus?

4. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      This will subside. Don't worry too much. the distance you were at cuts off any possible damage you could have had. Rest your ears, you will be okay. Nac, curcumin, magnesium are all great things right now.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      what is the exact cause of your T ? it says

Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown; acoustic trauma/hyperacusis/sshl

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No, it’s precisely because I have nothing I can do about it before my Skype meeting with the founders on January 2nd.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Airbag trauma from head on collision most likely. It set in a month after the hyperacusis began on 6/19.

8. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I work out as well. Yeah... those weights being dropped can be quite high pitched. My tinnitus seems to always recover in the same pattern it has been for almost 2.5 years. Fluctuating. Same if I attempt to drum, or go to an event like a hockey game last week. I watch TV shows on my tablet when I do cardio and use a Sony x32 bluetooth speaker and captions turned on. I have to be careful how much I lift. I have slight disc degradation in my lower back and neck.

9. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Are you wearing earplugs during these activities?

10. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I just got out of the very large gym. I was downstairs doing Cardio and someone was working out and dropping heavy weights. I was right under it but ceiling is like 30 feet high.
      I was wearing Peltor ear muffs but my tinnitus just spiked!

Does this make sense guys? Just having rough time! I have noise induced tinnitus since 2011.

11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm afraid NC headphones alone may not be enough to protect from the sound of weights being dropped nearby. They are often not so good at dealing with sudden impact sounds and can actually amplify them instead especially high frequencies. I would always wear foam earplugs underneath in the gym. Not that I've been to a gym lately!

12. Lyris

Lyris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So you have noticed that lifting and such can set off somatic Tinnitus? Because I suspect that that's my issue. Or one of them, at least.

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there,

How did you go with David Case's Tinnitus Mix?

I had a listen, but I couldn't stand it.