Tinnitus for 4 Years. 25-Year-Old and Fed Up!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LucyRose, May 21, 2018.

1. LucyRose
      Alone

LucyRose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi all,

I woke up with tinnitus one morning when I had a major tooth abscess at university. The t never went away. Although I don't really think the tooth had anything to do with it. Growing up in my early teens I went to A LOT of loud concerts (I don't imagine they had very strict sound regs).

Usually I only notice it when it's quiet and/or I think about it / stress but it has been rather loud and annoying 24 hours a day - to the point it's keeping me from sleeping.

It seems a lot of people here have recent tinnitus but now I've had it for 4 years I'm just so nervous I'm going to have to deal with it for the rest of my life.

I haven't seen the GP about it or anything so maybe it's time? I don't even think they can do anything.

Fed up.... really fed up.

Thank you,

Lucy

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      I get it, I have had T since 2013, so one year longer than you.....

I just made this post in someones succes story:

---------------------------------------------
      Not to be a downer here I am very happy that someone habituated, I have tinnitus since 2013 habituation happened and un-happened a couple of times for me. Maybe thats not even bad news but still there will be a point were tinnitus will make you desperate again, and then you will get over it again. Thats just the nature of the tinnitus beast.

I could have written succes stories here and months/years later can be desperate again and be in the support section :pthats why I dont do both...
      I do apreciate the succes stories part of this forum very much so I am in no way trying to be negative here and I am happy for anyone having relief :)
      -----------------------------------------------

I have had points where I couldnt have cared less about T and then boom I'm a nervous wreck again about it. It truly sucks. Only thing we can do is do what you did before to get your life back. Lets pray for a f@#^ing cure or treatment anytime soon. In the meantime try to be kind to yourself and just try to accept that for now u have this sound.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      see your doctor if you want to, but if you don't have any obvious hearing loss shown in their audiogram, they will send you home. People talk here about a lot of alternatives and treatments. I would really like to try some like laser therapy or stem cell, but it is just way too expensive. I take ginkgo biloba...I was also on Betaserc. It can be useful for ear fullness. You can try it out if you wanna. You can also change diet. Maybe it goes away, maybe it is forever. Just accept it for now. I am sure something effective will be available in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
    4. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi and welocome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I'm fairly ñew here and have had T for 1 and 1/2 years.
      I empathize completely with your frustration at such a young time in your life.
      T can debilitate you if you let it.
      It is a struggle each day and nite for us that doesn't give in.
      On the other hand you have had it much longer than i so kudos to you and your courage.
      As far as a GP goes they told me it was pesky. Lol. Pesky my foot.
      I find it is all about using tools like masking with other soothing sounds that can destress you.
      And getting a nites sleep. Very important to sleep.
      You can always try Melatonin to ease you into sleep.
      It is non addictive and natural.
      I also find that Cognitive Behavior Therapy is great for those times when im frustrated as hell.
      Your GP could refer you to a facility that provides CBT.
      I am surprised you have endured 4 years without seeing a professional.
      There are many causes for T but try not to obsess on them as T and it's causes are elusive.
      There are many positive people here but try not to get caught up with the tinitus horror stories.
      Thats about it for now.
      Wishing you peace and courage to move forward with your life.:)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      Hi

Have had T for a week, also new here and also having insomnia

Going to see my counselor and my doctor, you might want to try that too

6. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      At lest you being honest, but you are correct.only thing to do. Love your post. It the damm truth, only had this 8 months, still wondering how you all did it for so long..... does give me courage. Feel better.

7. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      How long has it been worse for? Can you think of anything that has changed to cause it? I feel like we humans mainly notice change within out bodies and its getting used to the change which is the hard part. Have you tried to mask the sound when sleeping? If so and its not helping id personally go see a doctor or seek some kind of natural sleeping aid.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suspect this is most likely the cause...

Have you done any hearing test? (Pure Tone Audiometry, etc)
      If so, what does your audiogram look like?