Tinnitus from Diabetes/Peripheral Neuropathy or Duloxetine/Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JP619, Mar 30, 2023.

1. JP619

JP619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

About 4 weeks ago I developed what doctors think is peripheral neuropathy. That's still being investigated, I'm a type 1 dianetic (although quite well controlled so it's a bit of a mystery).

The doctor has subsequently put me on Duloxetine to manage pain. About 2 weeks in, and I've developed tinnitus which has got progressively worse. I've had it for about 2 weeks now.

So I'm trying to work out which of these things has caused the tinnitus - diabetes, neuropathy or Duloxetine/Cymbalta? Has anyone else had an experience with either of these?

I feel as though it may be the Duloxetine/Cymbalta, but also confused because doctors actually prescribe it to treat tinnitus. That would certainly be the easiest to fix, as I can speak to the doctor about changing the tablets.

Any ideas?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many things can cause tinnitus and your doctors could be correct in thinking peripheral neuropathy is the cause. The tinnitus might also be linked to the other medical conditions you mention such as diabetes. This really needs the expertise of your doctors to find out what is causing the tinnitus.

Since you are new to tinnitus it might be a good idea to rule out one of the most common causes which is exposure to loud noise. If you frequently listen to audio through headphones, earbuds, AirPods, headsets, noise-cancelling or bone conduction headphones, then your tinnitus could be noise induced. If you're not a regular user of any of these devices and don't attend places where loud music is played or work in a noisy environment, then your tinnitus is unlikely to be noise induced. Therefore, the tinnitus could be caused by one or more of the medical conditions that you mention. Hopefully your doctors will be able to help you.

Best of luck,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JP619

JP619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Michael,

Your reply has raised a question in my mind. I’m currently (just about) managing to get sleep at night by listening to ‘tinnitus blocking’ background noise videos on YouTube. I’m using headphones for this as the noise will keep my wife awake. I’ve been trying to dial the sound down as low as possible while still having an effect.

Do people generally think this helps, or makes things worse?

I forgot to mention, I also started a protocol of a shed-load of supplements for peripheral neuropathy that I found online. It looks a bit crazy, but had to try something. Each day I'm taking:
      • R-alpha lipoic acid
      • Benfotiamine (Thiamine/Vit B1)
      • Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (Vit B6)
      • Methylcobalomin (Vit B12)
      • Folate (Vit B9)
      • L-Citrulline
      • Acetyl-L-Carnitine
      • Omega 3 1100mg
      • Turmeric
      Could any of these supplements cause issues? Coincidentally, I see most are recommended for tinnitus as well. Or could so many supplements cause tinnitus? I think I'm going to stop them for a few days anyway.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @JP619.

I strongly advise you not to listen to any type of audio through headphones even at low volume at the moment, until you know for sure that your tinnitus isn't noise induced, as you can easily make it worse. Even if your tinnitus is not noise induced, I still don't recommend that you use headphones. Please type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts.

I understand how you feel because you're in the very early stages of tinnitus. Instead of using headphones, I advise using an under pillow speaker or a pillow that has in-built speakers for sound enrichment using a sound machine. This will give you privacy and shouldn't disturb your wife. By the way, tinnitus should not be masked or covered up with sound to try and prevent if from being heard. I have explained the reasons in many posts on my started threads. Please click on the links below and read the posts.

Please go to my started threads and read: The Habituation Process, How to Habituate to Tinnitus, Tinnitus and the Negative Mindset, Acquiring a Positive Mindset, Sound Machines and Tinnitus. It is a lot to read and therefore, I suggest that you print the articles and take your time to read them. This way you will absorb and retrain the information better than reading on your phone or computer screen.

I wish you well,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Like Michael said, I would steer clear of headphones. It would be a lot better to be listening to whatever sounds you are using to mask your tinnitus in the room that you sleep in. A fan and a little sound generator that has different types of sounds works pretty well for me. I bring it and the fan into the living room as well. It's made by HoMedics and was purchased years ago on eBay for $20.

A window A/C is the best for my tinnitus. It can be the smallest one they make, and it doesn't have to be put in a window or even operational in terms of cooling because just the fan is used. I used to put mine on the table by where I sleep and it gave a variety of pink noises that were more effective at masking my tinnitus. You want to find a place like Lowes or Walmart where you can actually listen to one on the shelf because many of them are too quiet! You want one that has a definite sound that would work for masking purposes.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JP619

JP619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks guys. No headphones it is then - I hope my wife is in a generous mood!

I don't think my tinnitus has been caused by sound. I think it's either neuropathy (linked to diabates) or medication. It came on in both ears within a matter of days of taking new medication about 2 weeks after I developed a tingling foot with neuropathy.

If it isn't noise-induced, is it still the case that it's best not to use headphones, even quietly for spoken-voice or for noise-masking?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I still advise not to use headphones. Buy an Oasis sound machine, model S-680-2. It has an output audio socket, that allows an under pillow speaker to be attached or pillow with built-in speakers. You can buy both from Amazon or eBay.

Some medications can cause tinnitus.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @JP619, I use sound machines by Sound Oasis and they are excellent.

No headphones.

Best wishes,
      Eleanor 89

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JP619

JP619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks everyone.

I’ve been looking on Amazon here in the UK at pillow speakers. A few are bone conduction. I’ve seen some folks say that’s no good for tinnitus. Is that correct?

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      All you need to do is connect a pillow speaker to the Sound Oasis S-680-2 sound machine that I mentioned. I occasionally use Sound Oasis pillow speakers, they fit under my existing pillow. Available here: Pillow Speakers from Sound Oasis : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen