Tinnitus from Ear Infection

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kdt, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Kdt

Kdt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17.2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi there. I have been experiencing ear buzzing for 2 weeks. It started with a bad ear infection.

I got antibiotics....the infection went away but I am left with a full feeling in my ear and non stop ringing. I can sometimes feel fluid in there even though the ENT said there was none. But I can often feel it moving around in there... I think it’s leaking out my ear (that would help the buzzing I’m sure) but unfortunately the fluid, the buzzing and the plugged ear it’s still in there. I take steroid nose spray as I have chronic sinus issues.

I have been trying decongestants, nasal rinse, acupuncture, acupressure... you name it. I have been done my antibiotics for a week.

Has anyone ever had ear ringing from an ear infection and eventually recovered from it? Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. emily813

emily813 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      I had similar issues and was diagnosed with ETD - have you taken oral steroids? They got rid of 80% of the inflammation and Flonase/Astelin/neti pot/time did the rest. The whole episode lasted about a month for me from start to finish.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kdt

Kdt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17.2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you so much for the response. I am definitely going to see about getting some oral steroids. I may also try chiro because that side is sort of crunching when I put my finger in my ear and move my jaw whereas the other side doesn’t. I’ll try anything at this point!

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes. My wife did. It took her a couple of weeks I think to subside.

Unless your ear drum is perforated, nothing is going to come out of your ear, but you can always check with an otoscope if you are concerned about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kdt

Kdt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17.2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks for the replies..I’m a bit scared for the oral steroids as my friend was telling me all about the bad side effects and I am very sensitive to medication. My nurse practitioner friend told me to take ibuprofen every 6 hours and Benadryl at night so giving that a shot

6. emily813

emily813 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      I would urge you to try the steroids - there shouldn’t be too many side effects since you’re only taking them for a week (I had no side effects whatsoever). I think Medrol was crucial to my recovery and have no idea how long it would have lasted otherwise.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kdt

Kdt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17.2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry one more question......do you remember if your ear felt full all the time prior to starting the steroids? Mine seems to be full on and off the last couple of days which is sort of a new thing but of course the ringing is still there!!

8. emily813

emily813 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Yes - that was just as much of a problem for me as the actual tinnitus. The steroids helped get rid of that and the tinnitus followed. It felt like I was underwater all the time, and I had intermittent ear pain as well.

9. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (stress, tooth infection, medication, TMJ?)
      Hi!

My T started about 2 months ago when I got an infection in my wisdom tooth. I got antibiotics (penicillin) and the T started during the treatment. The infection is gone and the T is a bit better now, but not gone.

Kdt - any better with your T?
      Emily813 - did you eat antibiotics too?
      GregCA - did your wife get antibiotics for her ear infection?

Best regards from Sweden

10. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes.
      Note: you must use the @ symbol to tag someone, so the system can notify them that they have been mentioned in a post.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GregCA Thank you for mentioning that (y)

12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No problem! (and yes, I was notified! :) )

• Like Like x 1
    13. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Kdt Hi! Any better with your T?

• Like Like x 1
    14. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @emily813 Hi! Did you eat antibiotics too? Still having T?

• Like Like x 1
    15. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      I experienced this a few weeks ago. Flonase + sudafed + ibuprofen helped. I thought my tinnitus was getting worse plus I had some conductive hearing loss. It did clear up after about a week.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kdt

Kdt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17.2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      OH shoot I wasn’t getting notifications for some reason so didn’t see anyone had posted! So while I was awaiting a dr appointment to get Oral steroids a nurse practitioner friend of mine suggested that I take Advil every 6 hours (even though I read it could make T worse) and Benadryl at night she thought that might help with the inflammation and help dry up the fluid. Much to my surprise after a bout 3 days of this (I was not religious with the Advil) I noticed my ear slowly unplugging and the ringing was down so I kept up with this and my nose spray and I am happy to report my ear is about 85% better as it the ringing! I can hardly hear it now just it it’s complete quiet also when I lay down it comes a bit as my ear gets a bit plugged sometimes but less and less everyday! I honestly thought it would ring forever

• Like Like x 2
    17. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Kdt,
      Great news to wake up to...
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1