Tinnitus from Headphones, Clubs, and Other Loud Noises. Just Found This Forum and Wanted to Say Hi!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Daniel S., May 13, 2019.

1. Daniel S.
      Curious

Daniel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure, Music, Sporting Events
      Hello! The name is Daniel, and I've been dealing with bilateral, high-frequency tinnitus for about 14 years now. I first noticed it after leaving an NBA game.

Woke up the next morning with ringing, and it never went away. I've had a few spikes over the years, and now I'm trying to be a bit more proactive in terms of dealing with this issue. It has always bothered me, but I've found ways to cope with it.

I've come here hoping to find some new tricks and tips, and of course for a little camaraderie. Also hoping to be able to dish out a little advice of my own.

I'm no expert, but after more than a decade of living with this, I've picked up a few strategies that might help some other folks.

Anyways, nice to meet ya'll! :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I'd like to know if you also have pain from noise, sound sensitivity, clogged ears or jaw pain? Or at least had these conditions at one time. These are common problems that go together with noise damage.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum Daniel. There are much information spread out in the forums of this site. The research and treatment sections contain many up to date information on latest researches and drugs being developed. The success stories contain hundreds of good success stories. But yes, you are most welcome to chip in your ideas on how to cope with tinnitus. You are sort of a veteran of T so obviously members here can learn some wisdom from you. So welcome to post and support others. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Daniel S.
      Curious

Daniel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fortunately, ear pain and jaw pain are very infrequent for me. I do have a sensitivity to high-frequency sounds, but it's usually only a problem in places where the sound echoes a lot (like at my gym, where I have to try to time my visits during quieter hours). And I do get the "clogged ears" effect quite a bit, though it doesn't cause me much discomfort except when I'm flying and the air pressure changes kick in.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say that, in terms of loudness, my tinnitus is about a 5 on most days, maybe a 6 or 7 on the worst days. Funny thing is that I still don't exhibit any measurable hearing loss. Last time I got tested, my audiologist said that my hearing is still right around average for someone my age (I'm 37). So that may have something to do with the lack of painful side effects.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Daniel S.
      Curious

Daniel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm certainly looking forward to spending some quality time in here with ya'll! :)

• Like Like x 1