Tinnitus from Launching Fireworks without Earplugs

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hammers, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM.

1. Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma: Too close to fireworks with no protection.
      The night of July 3rd I was finally allowed to launch fireworks with my uncle for the fireworks show we always do. I didn't use earplugs. I was launching them, basically right next to me, lighting new ones while the others exploded right next to my ears.

I have extremely high pitched noises in my ear. I can't tell if it's 4 or 5. They're all somewhere above 10 kHz. The highest of them wasn't originally there. It started after I took a shower. I fear I may have made it even worse because I figured it would go away within a day. I listened to music and played games through my headphones (not at extreme volumes - I've always listened to them quietly.)

The third day I started googling all about tinnitus and freaking myself out... I haven't slept at all since the ringing and nothing can really mask it. It has not quieted at all. I had a panic attack yesterday and my mom took me to the ER and they gave me some Lorazepam.

I have an ENT appointment tomorrow. Is there anything I should know/not let them do/suggestions I should give/questions I should ask?

What's my outlook on this? Doomed forever? I really hate taking drugs but I don't think I will ever sleep without a pill.

Please help. Thanks for reading.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Mister Muso
      Disappointed

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 and spiking since April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts & bruxism/ETD/who knows
      Hi @Hammers

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about this. Everyone here will tell you the first weeks are always the hardest. You are quite likely to find your tinnitus can be helped by the prompt treatment you have planned, and by protecting your hearing from further damage. This is so important as you wouldnt believe how easy it is to spike your tinnitus further while it's in its damaged state. So avoid loud movies, concerts, restaurants for now.

I would put the headphones in the bottom drawer or use them as ear muffs for now, and don't leave home without ear plugs at least for the next few weeks.

There are people here who swear by the oral steroid called prednisone for such traumas, so ask at your ENT appointment.

Good luck!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Totally agree with no further headphone use after the acoustic trauma of the fireworks. Take care to avoid further noise exposure over the next several months, and give this all a chance to settle down and improve. You are currently experiencing a tinnitus spike, and it sounds like it came on in a somewhat delayed fashion, which is common. They can last for months to years, but often improve without further noise exposure/damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is a good chance that sometime in the next 12-24 months you will get to the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage. Just make sure to be easy on your ears.

Check out the posts below:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

5. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      Do whatever you can to try to keep it from becoming permanent or getting worse. Maybe the prednisone would help, but even if it doesn't and it stays there are success stories where it goes away on its own. Even if that's not happening, you should also check out the treatments page where we keep track of things in the way to help us. Neuromod Lenire is probably the first real thing that will actually help us to hit the market, and they are rolling out now. Also, a full on cure may have been found but it needs to be verified in humans and trialed before release, so that may be a few years (it's in research news, neuroinflammation).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 4:11 AM
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. eagerUser

eagerUser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Pressure
      Sorry to see you here!

They say NAC(n acetyl cysteine) and magnesium are otoprotective.

And its effects on the human cochlea:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22122955
      These are OTC but do talk with your doctor before taking ANYTHING NEW as they may have NEGATIVE effects on you depending on your medical history.

Make sure you take a good care of your EARS in the future and right now chances are you will be Ok(only hear it in quiet rooms) if not completely rid of your tinnitus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just got back from the ENT. He took an audiogram and my hearing is completely fine, really good actually. So my guess is I completely obliterated the high frequency hair cells and those are causing the tinnitus. Because of the hearing test he would not prescribe me anything. So it looks like any treatments are out of the question. I am only 19 and I live at home so I don't even have a primary care doctor set up yet.

8. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Glycinated/Chelated Magnesium and NAC.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How do I get that? What are the risks? I have no doctors to talk to and I don't want to make anything worse.

10. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Amazon, I think grocery stores, there shouldn't be any risks on taking them if you take them within the recommended dosage range. Though, you have a fresh trauma, so it'd be best to do the high end of the rec'd dosage.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would it even be worth it? It has been a week since the trauma so I think I'm boned.

12. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I think it's worth taking to further protect your hearing, yes.