Tinnitus in Right Ear, Hyperacusis in Left Ear — TMJ and Arthritis in Jaw

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mojojojo71, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Mojojojo71

Mojojojo71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 3019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know for sure but suspect TMJ
      My name is Jody, I have had Tinnitus since April 2019. I have it only in my right ear, and hyperacusis in my left ear. I’ve been to the Audiologist who said I’m too young to have this, and to see my ENT. I have ruled out anything wrong there, and have also been to an oral surgeon for a new diagnosis of TMJ and Arthritis in my jaw! The Oral Surgeon said this was from trauma and didn’t happen overnight! Not ready for surgery yet, but getting injections in a few weeks in the TMJ to see if that helps.

My tinnitus is a low pitch, high frequency sound, 4000 Hz, almost like a dog whistle. I’ve now noticed it in my left ear, it’s a little softer in the left ear, but def there constant!

I’m wearing a mouth guard for TMJ, and go to the chiro regularly, and get massages. Just trying to do what’s within my control.

I also have had migraines since I was 22.

I’m hoping to find some relief and find support in this group.

Has anyone had these same symptoms and has anyone had success with tinnitus going away after jaw surgery?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mojojojo71

Mojojojo71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 3019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know for sure but suspect TMJ
      And I now have Tinnitus in my left ear :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. TMJ is a common cause of tinnitus. So there are many prior posts on this subject. Perhaps search the forum with 'TMJ surgery" and you will get much more info than the current readers here. Good luck. God bless.

4. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Neck Issues, and Accompanying Postural Deviations.
      Hi @Mojojojo71 -

Sorry about to hear about your tinnitus and diagnosis of TMJ and arthitis in your jaw which can all occur together. I developed tinnitus in July 2019 and is related to some degree to my TMJ I am currently undergoing treatment for. I would recommend proceeding with reversible TMJ treatments prior to considering surgery which is irreversible and usually reserved only as a last resort. My neuromuscular dentist has also recommended Prolotherapy injections as part of my treatment which I am contemplating. My tinnitus and TMJ are linked to bruxism. If you have problems with bruxism as well, I would happy to provide more advice for you. TMJ and tinnitus caused by it are not so straightforward, so a little more investigation of other treatments might be a good idea. Agree with @billie48 on searching the forum for more info on TMJ in general. Some of my active threads are listed below -

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hi-guys-new-here-tinnitus-in-left-ear.36914/#post-474216

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ractic-adjustments-for-tmj.36535/#post-472997

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-do-you-know-if-tinnitus-is-from-tmj.36685/#post-499927

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...d-will-my-tinnitus-go-away.37056/#post-479061

@ryand and @Kaelon have some past threads with solid info on TMJ issues. Also, seek out threads about TMJ @Greg Sacramento and @linearb have provided input on.

Best of luck with the treatment.

All the best,

-oceanofsound26

5. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Neck Issues, and Accompanying Postural Deviations.
      @Lane has provided me some good advice on my TMJ and tinnitus as well.

• Like Like x 1