Tinnitus Increases the Risk of Getting Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease

Discussion in 'Research News' started by ajc, Jul 30, 2020.

1. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Informative Informative x 6
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My guess is that the people whose body is prone to getting tinnitus are also prone to Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. So the event of getting tinnitus hasn't actually changed one's probability of getting those two other diseases.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. PauloZ
      Alienated

PauloZ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015, got much worse in 09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, both times.
      Maybe we will forget we have tinnitus when combined with Alzheimer's? :confused:

• Funny Funny x 7
      • Genius Genius x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    4. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I always thought it was pretty obvious that we would be more likely to get dementia and so on.

I'm not going to read the article, but I wonder how the age of tinnitus onset affects the chances of getting dementia and associated diseases?

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      I reckon there may be a link since people correlate hearing loss with it. However I have a feeling that if it is restored right which is possible then there might not be big worries about this especially if you are young.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Either that, or Alzheimer's will make habituation impossible...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed it is and one of the reasons I don't read reports particularly of the type in the link you have posted. For many tinnitus is more than enough to contend with throughout life without the need to read such negativity. It is fine if one isn't troubled by such findings and I am not but those that are easily influenced could find this worrying.

I advise people to incorporate positivity into their life, by engaging in the things they like to do and not read things that serve to only make their life more problematic. I say again, it is fine for a person to read this material if they are not going to be overly bothered by it and see it as information. The opposite is true if they are going see it as another problem, in addition to what they already have and therefore is of no help at all.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, perhaps people could take possible Alzheimer's symptoms more seriously now. They might also want to make the most of their life, while they are still healthy.

I see that 1 in 14 (or 7.14% of) people over 65 have Alzheimer's. If the risk is 1.5 times higher than that average level, it's 10.7% or one in 9.3...

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. gerhei

gerhei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/After a cold
      Well, we have to keep in mind that tinnitus is not a precise predictor for getting those things. It would be also good to look at the study design. I guess that the researchers didn't even differentiate the forms of tinnitus so I guess that the results are not really generalizable. In their summary, they even write that there are other comorbidities that may increase the risk. So, no reason to panic.

• Like Like x 3
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I stand by the previous comments in my post.

All the best
      Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm someone who studies the various rows in life tables and looks up the prevalence of diseases and who often runs Google searches using keywords " "some possible weird symptom I've just had" + cancer ". I feel strongly about not ignoring reality. (I read somewhere that most people underestimate their chances of dying/getting ill, whereas the people suffering from clinical depression make accurate estimates of those odds.)
      Why?

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      This is definitely the kinda of post that makes me want to leave this site. Really didn't need to see this today.

Let's face it, yeah it might be informative, but there's bugger all we can do about getting AD and PD, so why would we want to know about our increased risk.

We all know we're royally f*#ked. We just try to get through it.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You should definitely leave this site if reality bothers you and you want to live a fantasy tale of "everything's going to be fine". Or join the ATA and BTA. LOL
      There are things you can do to reduce your risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Lifestyle choices. Nutrition. Exercise. Keeping your brain agile.

It's good to know tinnitus increases the risk so you can take other measures to reduce the risk. Duh.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      First of all you can pay for 23andMe test and learn whether you have that mutation that dramatically increases Alzheimer's risk. Second of all, perhaps 10-20 years from now there will be things and tests you can do, and now you know that you should really do them.

15. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Honestly, when I read this... I got kinda happy. I know you are probably thinking: WHAT?!, but hear me out.

I'm sorta happy because if it can be proven that tinnitus is more than just a harmless sound, that it actually IS harmful, then that would be an even greater cause/reason to find a treatment/cure.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      It's a scientific report that needs to be explained properly before people start dissecting it and jumping to the wrong conclusions.

@FGG -- can you help with this?

It seems to me to be saying that it's only a certain type of tinnitus -- not the type caused by noise damage for instance. Also, 1 in 8 people have tinnitus. You could probably make a correlation to a lot of illnesses, but not necessarily causation.

Untreated depression is also more likely to cause these issues -- and many more -- so in that respect I agree with @Michael Leigh.
      Thought this was supposed to be a support forum? This post was really rude. I don't want nice people who need support to leave the site.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      My take after the reading the study is to look at it for what it is, a retrospective study.

A lot of different groups of people get discussed in this paper.

Highlighted were a specific subset of tinnitus sufferers, who acquired idiopathic central tinnitus as they age and drawing the comparison to people who lose olfactory sensation before acquiring dementia. This may be a "soft sign" of early dementia in some cases.

They make a separate note about acquired, untreated hearing loss and dementia which has been known for awhile to be both a risk factor for tinnitus and dementia.

Lots of correlated factors were listing such as loss of income and systemic inflammatory disease.

So it seems to suggest that some of the same things that can give you tinnitus can later cause neurodenegeration (e.g. certain chronic inflammatory conditions) and also idiopathic tinnitus in an older population can be an early sign in some cases

Anyway it's clearly multi factorial and seems more correlatory than causative.

AD and PD are both extremely complex and have a lot of independent and dependent risk factors.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wish you well in your quest. Please understand I thought my last comment on this topic was made clear and prefer not to debate any further on this issue.

All the best
      Michael

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Exactly right @Steph1710 other forums that I visit I meet ex TT members and they leave here because of continuous negativity by certain members. I am often asked if this trend still continues....

Michael

20. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well I for one appreciate your post ajc.

If people in general are ever going to take acoustic trauma seriously, then the risks must be made public knowledge.
      We should all know our enemy.
      Ignorance constitutes an even greater enemy.

Our aural pathway is obviously a soft target for the entry of seriously damaging acoustic trauma.

After six years of severe tinnitus, I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease on Thursday of last week.

If I later develop Alzheimer’s I am pretty confident that you guys will be the first to detect it.

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 19
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry to hear that Jazzer. I don't know much about Parkinson's, but I wish you all the luck in the world when it comes to managing the condition. From reading your posts, I see you have a lot of mental strength and I'm sure that will see you through.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bless you Tanni.

I seem to have had to battle unbelievable odds right from birth.
      Not looking for sympathy - just stating the facts.
      I guess I have had to become philosophical to get through so far.
      I will do my very best.
      I have a great family - and not forgetting three beautiful pussy cats - so I should be okay.

Love to you in your own journey,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      It's terrible to hear this news @Jazzer. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. My hart goes out to you & your wife Sylvie.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      "Through the 10-year follow-up period, 398 individuals with tinnitus (3.1%) and 501 control individuals (2.0%) developed AD (P < 0.001), and 211 tinnitus patients (1.7%) and 249 control patients (1.0%) developed PD (P < 0.001)."

Everyone should read the article more carefully. Based on their percentage figures, 12/398 tinnitus and 10/501 normal people developed AD along with 4/211 tinnitus and 3/250 normal people developed PD. Overall there's 1-5 more people develop PD/AD out of hundreds. Is that statistically significant? I don't really think so.

Before everyone scare themselves: 386/398 people did NOT develop AD and 207/211 did NOT develop PD. Just because we have tinnitus doesn't mean we'll get PD or AD. It's a small and minor correlation, not causative. The study suggests we have 1.1% more chances to develop AD and 0.7% more chances to develop PD. Very low chances are still very low.

Also, the study did not address the subset of tinnitus, such as somatic or neuro tinnitus nor did the study address the severity of tinnitus (mild, moderate, severe).

If this article gets some awareness and traction for tinnitus, then I'm all for it but personally, this article is pointless.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    25. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Thanks FGG -- what would we do without your science brain? ;)

I'm certainly not qualified to interpret this study, but it seemed to me to be mostly referring to tinnitus of unknown cause that could be taken as an early indicator of AD/PD -- not people who have developed tinnitus through noise damage, medication etc. And even then, it seemed pretty tenuous -- Tinnitus sufferers are a large subsection of society, so if the link were that strong we'd surely know of it.

I'm glad the study was shared -- it's interesting for sure. I just thought the heading was a bit too simplistic/misleading, and didn't want people to panic and think the worst. I think we should try to be really careful when interpreting studies, as people who visit this site can be vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      We will cope as well as possible Chris.
      Not the end of the world.
      Thanks for your concern buddy.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I bet if you had had very severe tinnitus for over six years, as I have, and went on to develop Parkinson’s disease, as I have, you would be likely to accept that there is a causal link.

This kind of neurological damage means that neurons are firing day and night - hence the continuous noise of tinnitus.
      Severity and volume levels are obviously highly significant, but this study should not be ignored.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    28. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Tinnitus is a stressor. Stress is bad for health long-term. Easy to extrapolate from that the sorts of diseases that it would lead to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      Will you try FX-322 if and when it comes out? Also Ozzy Osborne has Parkinson’s now along with tinnitus. Tinnitus is not a toy. I wish it would be taken seriously.

Peace.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      FX-322... possibly?

But it would not reverse Parkinson’s diagnosis