Tinnitus Keeps Getting Louder and Louder — What Am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My T has been getting louder. I can't figure out why. I don't see anything in my hearing tests but maybe I am missing something. Am I missing anything here?

These tests are of one ear.

Attached Files:

2. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      I do not believe your missing anything. Be careful with these hearing tests as they are only as good as you allow them to be. Too easy to manipulate even if we consciously do not want too. I'm not sure hearing tests can ever detect tinnitus. They are for.........hearing!! Tinnitus is a different issue even tho they are so closely related. No one but you can hear it. No machine can detect it. There are ways to find the pitch of your tinnitus but other than that, only you know you suffer it.

I do not know enough about your situation or onset with tinnitus to offer any advice or reasons as to why yours is getting louder. Even people with perfect hearing, meaning they hear well at all pitch levels, can have tinnitus.

If you think long and hard, you might be able to identify reasons for the initial onset. Loud work environments, parties, concerts, pubs, drugs (prescribed or not), aspirin, massive stress levels, head injuries, grinding teeth, jaw issues, alcohol, etc.

You need to focus on the triggers to better understand what may be increasing your tinnitus!

Hope you can find ways to lower this nasty business! Warm regards!

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think anyone has figured out the link between hearing loss and tinnitus yet. There are people with hearing loss without tinnitus and the other way around.

The good news is that your latest results are pretty encouraging for your hearing, aren't they? Your hearing seems to be getting better. Do you notice it?

• Like Like x 2
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It may not have anything to do with your hearing. I have bad days when my tinnitus is high and I have a few days when my tinnitus is lower. It's the nature of the beast. I'd suggest paying attention to what you eat (sodium) and what you drink (caffeine). Just remember you're not alone.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      At the start of my tinnitus, I was also having problems hearing. I think that my hearing has improved somewhat though I still have days where I feel like I can't hear very well. Then, I wonder if the tests are accurate. I would think that as my hearing improves that my tinnitus would get better but the opposite seems to be happening. But as you all have said they may not be related which I haven't considered. I really can't think of what could be causing this. Maybe I will start keeping a journal.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I see that lots of members who are able to match their T. I have been to 3,different audiologist and none of them could match the frequency of my T?
      Maybe because I am deaf at those frequencies and my T is in my brain and not my ear

7. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can also only give a range but no exact frequency. I guess its because my sound is not at a sharp frequency. Is your tinnitus tonal like a eeeeee?

8. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I did that already because I couldn't accept the changes between better and worse days. At the same time I experimented a lot with diet, sport, alcohol, lllt, supplements, cmd pivot mouth guard, permanent ear protection, ads, sleep, stress, even with glasses during sitting at the pc...everything what came into my mind.

The fact is nothing has an impact.
      Not even bad sleep or stress or msg.
      That really sucks but must not be true for your case.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I guess that's possible but then you wouldn't hear anything when they played the tone. I haven't tried to match my tones. My tones are always changing so there wouldn't be much point.

Looking at this post now. I am thinking that my tests make even less sense. How could my hearing be getting better? I can't think of anything that would cause that, especially for it to get better so slowly.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There are some things that I know make it worse, mainly lack of sleep and hormones.

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Keep your ears warm through the cold weather and wind as can spike tinnitus for some..
      .lots of love glynis

12. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well thats great and might be a starting point for further investigations. Good luck.