Tinnitus Masking: MP3s, CDs, YouTube, Other Audio

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Please discuss tinnitus masking in the form of MP3s, CDs, YouTube videos/audios and other digital content in this thread.

Share your favorite ones!

• Like Like x 7
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Tinnitus since 1999. I was approved for disability retirement because of my tinnitus in Feb. 2006.

The one thing that I have depended on to cope with my tinnitus is masking.

Early on I bought the Moses/Lang Masking CD and for me it was a miracle. I simply could not believe how well track #3 and at a very low volume would cancel out my tinnitus.

In 2009 my tinnitus increased where the Moses/Lang CD does not work. At the time when I was doing research on the M/L CD was another company selling masking CDs called the Petroff (DTM) Dynamic Tinnitus Mitigation System. It was all over the internet and now it's nowhere to be found. Even read a study where people thought the Petroff CD's did a better job of masking than the M/L cd.

The M/L CD proved to me you can mask your tinnitus very well. Has anyone out there tried the Petroff system and is so what did you think?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank You.

3. bulldog

bulldog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2011
      I have Petroff's MP4 player that is fitted with 24 different masking files. Mike Petroff, who is a sound engineer and a long-time tinnitus sufferer as well, spent years developing these specific audio programs that are meant to mask the various T sounds.

I have not tried other masking devices (therefore I cannot make a comparison) but what I can tell you is that his system effectively masks my T and I routinely hear 4 or 5 different noises that change from day to day. I find there is no residual cancellation of the sounds - unfortunately.

But if you want a good masking device with lots of individualized options, I believe you will find his latest system will prove as effective as anything else out there. Jack Vernon, who pioneered the concept of T masking, also tested his system and felt it was the best masker on the market, when he evaluated it a couple of years ago.

Hope that info helps.

BD

4. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      BD, Thank You for the information! Where did you find out about this MP4 player? I will do a search on it and see what I can find. It truly(not really)baffles me that all the experts I have seen have never mentioned this product.

UPDATE: I can't find anything about it searching here on the computer. Please let me know where you got yours and any other information. I don't understand why there is no info here on the internet. Thanks!

5. bulldog

bulldog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2011
      I purchased mine from an audiologist in Canada - Dr Lorraine Vosu, tel: 905.471.4327

BD

6. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      So is this the SoundCure Serenade System or something different? Do you just mask with it or are you to follow a set plan to help you get to habituation quicker? What's the cost? You have been very helpful. Thank You. John

7. bulldog

bulldog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2011
      John

This is definately not SoundCure ... It is Mike Petroff's own T masking system that he personally developed as an audio and sound engineer. I am not sure who he sells it through in the US (his base is in Los Angeles CA) - I however purchased mine in Canada. It is strictly a tinnitus masker; but an effective one. Cost for the MP4 system, with custom earbuds and speakers, is around $6-700.

BD

8. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Did you ever try his 6 CD DTM system that has been for sale for years now? It was 6-CD's with various masking tracks on each CD. For me I went with the Moses/Lang CD at the time and if that didn't work I was going to try the Petroff 6 CD DTM CD's.

9. bulldog

bulldog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2011
      I never tried his CDs - I have spoken with Mike Petroff and from what I understand, the DTM masking device is different. Possibly the tracks have some similarity, but the MP4 player has earbuds and speakers that are specifically designed to deliver the higher frequency signals, which are necessary for many T sufferers who are looking for relief through masking.

10. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      I'm in contact with the Toronto hearing center so will find out more from them. Thanks!

11. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Keep seeing Moses/Lang CDs mentioned.

Anyone know where it can be purchased please?

12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hiya,

I was also wanting to find this so I emailed Oregon Hearing Research (cant even remember where I found that now) and here's what they replied.............

Thank you for your interest in our Moses-Lang cd. The cd is available through our clinic, you can call us at 503-494-7954 to order. The cd is $25 and this includes the shipping cost. We accept Visa and MasterCard payments.

13. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      I have high pitched tinnitus and after weeks of searching I found a masking track that really has worked well for me. It's a combination of water and crickets sounds. If you use masking for sound therapy please give this a try.

I found it on Amazon (MP3 store):
      https://www.amazon.com/Crickets-and-Running-Water-Sound/dp/B00931IAHM/

Give it a listen and tell me what you think. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    14. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Hey Jim. Thx for everything!

• Like Like x 1
    16. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Thanks for the sound! It really works when I'm spiking!!

17. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Anybody have a recommendation on a good, inexpensive bedside white noise/sound masking machine? I'm back to using the Homedics SoundSpa SS-2000 ($19.95 Walmart) I've had for a couple years, and while it often helps divert attention while trying to get to sleep on evenings when the T is overwhelming, the tracks are very, very short. Each recording recycles every 15-20sec, if not less, so it's hard sometimes not to focus on the same sounds and cycles repeating over and over and over again. Defeats the purpose of white noise, actually drawing focus to the machine output. I'm hoping to find a good one around fifty bucks US or less, where the tracks are maybe ten to fifteen minutes long at least.

18. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I pretty much quit masking a while back. Even at night. My last hold out was my bed room and I just decided one day to turn off the white noise machine and it has been that way every since. Of course there are times, like when driving where I am annoyed by my T so I play the radio. I do listen to music at work constantly but I pretty much always did....just not a fan of noise over my noise....but that's just me. Now if there was a way that WNG noise in my ear could cancel out the noise in my head....well, I would be all over that!

19. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      erik, I pretty much felt the same as you, as far as a different noise over the T-noise. I do find however that the WNG I use sounds better than the T-noise.

I went over to http://simplynoise.com/ that was posted here and I do like the pink and brown noise better than the white noise that my masker (silent star) has.

I am going to call the audiologist Monday, and find out if I can get one with a different tone such as pink or brown.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi,

I still don't get those Tinnitus Masking devices. What do they do exactly? Play a constant sound that matches your tinnitus? What does that sounds like? Pink or White Noise? Why would I want to do that, I've got this already in my head? I don't get it…

21. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Many people find the masking sounds more preferable to the sound of their tinnitus.

Try http://simplynoise.com and play some Pink or Brown noise and see if you like it. White Noise is way harsher, I personally don't like it that much.

When tinnitus annoys me, I much prefer to fall asleep to the sound of raining. That's where masking can be a nice help.

Plus if you opt for Jastreboff's TRT, masking is an important piece of that treatment protocol, too. Not so loud that it completely masks your tinnitus: the brain won't be able to learn to ignore the tinnitus if it doesn't hear it, so it's necessary you hear the tinnitus above the masking.

• Like Like x 1
    22. reed6

reed6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Like most of you if not all I have been stressed out from tinnitus and have used tinnitus sound generators to overlap the effect and feeling of the noise.

There's a few online sites that I use fairly often. I'm pretty sure I could personally re-create my tinnitus in a DAW using my own audio software, but I just use them out of convenience.

I find they work for me but only very briefly. Then my brain adapts and understands between the artificial noise and what *should* be in its place. It's also impossible to specify a specific frequency. Although it is within the 14-15khz range, it kind of 'jumps around'.

How about yourselves? Do short-term or long-term use of tinnitus simulators work for you?

23. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      What online sites do you use?

It's an interesting approach to listen to *artificial* tinnitus noises to mask the actual tinnitus noise (or to cause a duration of residual inhibition).

I don't find the thought very comforting... I think Tinnitus Tamer (there's a thread about it on TT) works that way, quoting:
      The Tinnitus Tamer uses repeating signals that are similar to the Tinnitus, interspersed with silent periods. The repeating signals are not associated with anything of significance, and will modify the neural networks that they will attenuate the Tinnitus sounds as representing a neutral, nonsignificant signal. The silent periods help the brain to perceive silence when there are no external sounds.

Rather I like to listen to pink/brown noise, but for me, the sound of rain/other nature sounds trumps everything. I fall asleep like a baby when listening to pouring rain.

24. reed6

reed6 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for your reply. I meant sites like Audionotch. Didn't want to say it right off the bat as it's an expensive premium service. You can easily replicate it (many of us are musicians) but it's just convenient.

What I meant was that since gaining tinnitus I've been at a loss for treatments and ways to deal with it, and finding an 'artificial' sound was very helpful at first. Initially, finding the high-pitch sound in my ears in another pair of speakers just cancelled it all out. For a few moments there was no ringing at all. And then it came back, but it was amazing how effective was. Since then I've been using specific frequencies to 'pin down' the tinnitus, but it seems to adapt. It's a really tough situation.

One strategy I've used is to listen to the specific frequency of the tinnitus at a level that is moderate to the rest of the sounds around me. When I get it right, the sound cancels out and I have a few seconds peace. But then it starts up again on a different frequency.

I really feel my tinnitus has something to do with my blood pressure. It seems to jump up, then down, then up again. It flickers (like a bad TV signal). It drastically reduces in volume if I belch, cough or sneeze sometimes. On rare occasions, for a fraction of a second the sound is totally gone. Then it's back to the high-pitch whining again.

But the artificial sounds really help. If they are just over the threshold for a long period then it's easier to go to sleep when I stop the sound.

25. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Well I see your point!

But for the sake of dialogue, I would go crazy trying continually to find ways to get silence for a second or two.

It would only cause me to pay more attention to the noise, and certainly not be helpful in regards to habituation.

That's why residual inhibition (which usually - like in your case - lasts only seconds) is something I never pursued.
      I just don't see the value in it considering the anxiety it can cause when trying to get that few seconds of silence time and time again.

I tend to think of Tinnitus Retraining Therapy based on the Dr. Jastreboff's model (incl. making use of sound enrichment where you still can hear your tinnitus noise) as a more effective long-term solution - until something better comes along... which we all are waiting for.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    27. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks Markku will do that. Although since I just finished (and paid for) a tinnitus evaluation, assume the audiologist has a report with what Steve needs.

28. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      From what I've read mp3 is a useless format when it comes to sound therapy because it's a lossy format, thus removing many frequencies. If an audiologist have done an exact frequency measurement and prepared a sound to cater for that, it must be exact that tone. In other words a lossless format that plays exactly what's recorded. Uncompressed audio formats, such as WAV, AIFF, AU would suit the purpose. CD music is recorded in WAV. I need to buy myself a new player device cause all I have is a mp3 player with no lossless support.

Also want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences with their treatments. I have hyperacusis and T - based on user stories in general I believe pink noise therapy could be the thing for me to deal with the hyperacusis and TRT in general to habutiate.

29. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Most "MP3 Players" nowadays play .wav, some even .flac.

MP3 Player to me is more or less a term to define a portable audio player.

I don't believe .mp3 files are useless for sound therapy - depending on the therapy performed, though.

The frequency spectrum of the uncompressed, slightly edited LPCM file looks like this:
      3mxOCam.jpg

320 kbit/s is about the highest you can get with most MP3 encoders, and is hardly distinguishable from uncompressed LPCM. Look at it’s spectrum to see the difference:
      1lYNJFK.jpg

For any general masking and sound enrichment the mp3 codec is more than enough.

If we are trying to replicate treatments such as Acoustic CR Neuromodulation (the "ACR DIY" thread), then using lossless formats is certainly a better way to go.

I wonder if @Steve agrees with my conclusion? I trust his expertise very much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    30. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      www.rainymood.com
      - Webpage with sound of rain and thunderstorm.

Relax 8 Hours-Relaxing Nature...

- Sound of a stream, with birds.

Calming Seas 1 - 11 Hours Ocean Sound for...

- 11 hours with sound of ocean.

Relaxing 3 Hour Video of A Tropical Beach with...

- 3 hours of tropical beaches, with some birds.

Tinnitus Masking: Nightfall in forest + Brown...

- 1 hour of forest sounds, with brown noise.

Sounds to Soothe - Tinnitus masking and...

- This song really helps me.

Forest and Nature Sounds 10 Hours

- 10 hours of nature sounds. With birds.

Gentle Rain 10 Hours High Quality

- Gentle rain for 10 hours.

The Real You - Alan Watts

- Not a masker, but better, Alan Watts about life.

Have a nice day!

• Like Like x 2