Tinnitus Masking: MP3s, CDs, YouTube, Other Audio

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2011.

tinnitus forum
    1. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I put together a combination of rain, water, wind sounds that I use for masking/sound enrichment. Helps with sleep etc. It's an mp3 so put it on your iPod or whatever. I got all the sounds from http://www.freesound.org/. You can go and make your own track if you want or you can have mine for free. It is about 4.5 hrs long so it's a big file.

More Masking Tracks,
      I have added a couple more tracks to share with anyone who is interested. They are all very similar to the one above. I will give a brief description of each. Download them if you want. They are free for you to enjoy. They are all natural sounds taken from nature. I use them for sleeping. I made them, they are copyright free. I hope they resonate with you as they do with me. ;) Enjoy.

The short versions are about 30 min. play time, the long versions are 4.5 hrs. each.

Edit 3/18/12:
      Due to losing my MobileMe storage I will be moving my "soundscapes" to a new location.
      You will find them here.
      http://mytinnitusmasking.com/

• Like Like x 6
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Did I spot a Mac user? :)

I have MobileMe too (so the domain me.com rings some bells!), I switched to Mac from PC about three years ago. Haven't looked back since then, been a real pleasure.

I will be starting a conversation (which is the same thing as private messaaging on some other boards) with you to get that password, if you've already done the work of putting those sounds together, why not take advantage of it.

Thanks for this!

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Downloaded.

Now listening.

First impression: Did I just download a file that beats rainymood.com?

I think I did. Very relaxing and just the kind of background sound that I truly love. I guess this one will be played back to back numerous times! :)

Thanks Jim for putting this together!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    4. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Thanks, glad you like it. It's best with head/earphones. Lots of movement from left to right.

5. lemmings

lemmings Member

i would like this too, would suit my surround sound system!

writing you a pm now

6. sinuses

sinuses Member

forum is easy to use and good looking But I cant find private message system anywhere?

can you jim send me the password somehow??

greetings

7. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Sinuses, I sent you the password. Enjoy.

8. Scarred

Scarred Member

Thanks already--going to place myself in the queue. :p

9. John

John Member

id love to get my hands on this file but can't really figure out how to send a PM :(

10. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      John,
      I just sent you the password.

11. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hey Jim, do you think it would be okay if I put the track available directly here on tinnitustalk.com? People could download it without asking for the password.

Or could the password be posted here on this thread? Or does me.com have some sort of a d/l capacity limit?

Would save some people the trouble of asking for it + you having to reply to them :) Maybe even more people would get use of it if they haven't bothered asking for the pw.

I don't know... just some random thoughts that came to my mind. o_O

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Markku,
      I removed the password so anyone can freely download the file here now. The link is good for one year at which time I will have to refresh it.
      Yes you can post the link anywhere you like or do whatever is most beneficial for the forum. You can do whatever you like with it. The only reason I had a password on it was to be able to get an indication if anyone was downloading it and the level of interest.

It's a 4.5 hr long track so the file is pretty big. (324mb) All the original raw files are high quality recordings of nature. It consists of 6 or 7 layers of sounds, rain, wind, rainforest, waves, babbling brook and distant birds. The "waves on the beach" file is a binaural recording with lot of left to right movement. I like layers of sound with some texture and variation but not so much as to disturb relaxation or sleep. It also has some volume changes that are very subtle but seem to keep the tinnitus volume levels lower. Don't ask me why but the volume variation seems to help. I made this because I need something to sleep with every night and most looped pieces will disturb my sleep at the start over point. I use iTunes so I can drop the track into a playlist twice. This gives 9 hrs with only one start over. Add a couple of nice music tracks at the start of the playlist to doze off to and you have a full nights worth of customized dream inducing REM sleep enhancement. I built this for me (and my very close "companion"), so if it doesn't suit your needs or if you want to build your own you can get raw files here for free. Enjoy it.
      Jim

Edit: Don't mistake this for 6 0r 7 seven different tracks in row. This is 6 or 7 tracks all layered into one long track.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks Jim, I edited your first post on this thread to remove the mention about the password.

For anyone wondering: in my opinion the track is worth the biggish download of over 300MB, Jim has done a great job of putting this together :)

14. Allevous

Allevous Member

Thanks Jim!! I've been listening to this now while doing comp work and it's been a blessing. I probably never delete this!

• Like Like x 1
    15. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      And I just woke up to this smoothly playing in the background this morning, was on the whole night! Big (y)

16. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Thanks Markku and everyone else for your comments. I'm really happy you like it and were able to get some benefit from it. Very gratifying. I'm gathering sounds for another track that will be slightly different. I will make it available as well.
      thanks again,
      Jim

• Like Like x 1
    17. John

John Member

awesome track Jim, thanks!!

One day while listening to your track my baby girl(5 yrs old) asked me what i was listening to and i told her the rain. she asked if she could hear it and liked it so much she confiscated my ipod and i coudn't get it back untill she went to bed for the night.
      Just thought i'd share that with you :)

John

18. Svein

Svein Member

19. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Svein, thanks for the compliment.
      Hmm. Should be about 41/2 hrs. Maybe the download didn't finish, it takes a while. Let me know if you can't get the whole thing and I'll check it. As far as I know it's working fine.
      That looks like a windows program. I don't see a Mac version and I'm a Mac user so no good for me.:confused:

20. Svein

Svein Member

Sorry Mac!;)! (Just couldn't resist that!)
      I don't find a Macversion either. But the new download gave me a file that plays for 4,5 hours.:)!

21. Minduser

Minduser Member

Hi guys.

White noise fully masks my tinnitus and makes me able to concentrate on any task.
      http://simplynoise.com/
      This website provides a very cool volume slider so you can find the best for you.

For sleeping, I used the Open source software Audacity(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to generate 60min of white noise. Then I exported it as WAVE (less compression, the better!) and burned into a cd, then I listen to it every night to sleep better.

This has helped me A LOT(my tinnitus is about 8290 Hz and got worse after a loud rock concert) and I`m sure will help you too.

22. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      More Masking Tracks,
      I have added a couple more tracks to share with anyone who is interested. They are all very similar to the one above. I will give a brief description of each. Download them if you want. They are free for you to enjoy. They are all natural sounds taken from nature. I use them for sleeping. I made them, they are copyright free. I hope they resonate with you as they do with me. ;) Enjoy.

Edit 3/21/12:
      Masking tracks are here now, http://mytinnitusmasking.com/

• Like Like x 2
    23. Pat

Pat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I want to thank Jim for the masking tracks. I still have to take sleeping pills still, i'm hopeful i can cut them back eventually. I have to take 2 apo-tamazepam 15 mg to get 5 hours sleep. I can't get to sleep with out those tracks on my mp3..Thank You again....Pat

• Like Like x 1
    24. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      Due to losing my MobileMe storage I will be moving my "soundscapes" to a new location.
      You will find them here.
      http://mytinnitusmasking.com/
      This is a new site so let me know if there are any glitches with downloading.
      Jim

• Like Like x 1
    25. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I'm downloading the sounds in my laptop...glad I found this! I have 2 tones though the cricket/low hiss tea kettle is actually relieved by the tracks but my other one the high pitch at 7500-8000 khz seems to pierce through it a little. Thanks Jim

26. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      This is good for newbies to help them sleep or cope.

27. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      You're welcome Petloy, glad they work for you. I'm working on another one with a little different twist to it. I will post when it is complete.
      I did run across something quite interesting recently. ASMR videos. They are for relaxation. There are many many different formats. So if you want to explore them don't give up quickly. This is not for everyone but I have found it to be beneficial. Some people equate it to the feeling that some people get when watching Bob Ross the painter. He has that soothing voice combined with magic on the canvas. Hypnotic for some of us. I did a search of this forum and found that Calin posted about this some time back. I just stumbled on it while searching for more masking sounds for my new track. http://www.asmr-research.org
      Here's a link to Calin's post. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/not-sleeping-anxious-stressed-try-this-asmr.551/#post-3513

28. click
      Busy

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Jim, I just wanted to say thank you. One of your tracks from ages ago was a complete life saver for me. Good to see you back. Jane

• Like Like x 1
    29. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      Just wondering what people use to mask t when sleeping? Does anyone have any good tracks?

30. Donna Gaumond

Donna Gaumond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/1972
      I have a loud fan in the room. Sometimes I need music also so I have soft music playing until I fall asleep. Have yu thought about a sund machine?