Tinnitus Masking: MP3s, CDs, YouTube, Other Audio

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I would like to leave it here :)

http://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php

It's a collection of relaxing natural sounds like ocean waves, rain and some artificial ones like humming fan. What makes this website cool and different is the "equalizer" - a bunch of colourful sliders that you can adjust as you see fit.

Each colour corresponds to different frequencies so if the sound you are listening to is too sharp and hissing for example, you can always adjust it as needed :headphone:

kIZSYW3.jpg

Using the website is completely free.

Downloading an mp3 file costs few dollars but it's possible to just record the sound for free. I am going to hell...

edit: please remember not to play the sounds at high volume! Especially when using headphones :)

• Like Like x 2
    2. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hello

I try to stay possitive as much as I can, but I am quite sad and have troubles to cope with Tinnitus. I can hear it at all times and makes me sad.

Slight ringing at work, even though there are fans, and I can listen to it at home when silent.

My T is very recent though, just one month and I would like to try several stuff like acupuncture, HBTO, TRT and last resort to a tinnitus masker.

Does anyone use a tinnitus masker device? How is it it working for you?

Best

3. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Morning guys :)
      Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations/ideas for a sound machine for my dad... I'd like to get him one for Xmas

He has severe T and moderate hearing loss so it will need to have some pretty high volumes, and I'd like it to be portable so he can use it out in the shed

Thanks!

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      These Oasis machines are pretty well known and I've heard good things: Sleep Sound Machines For Better & Natural Sleep

5. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In order to try and get some relief from my T (especially at night), I've been listening to sounds via a white noise app on my phone. (The app is just called White Noise.) I've found a few noises that are soothing but they never seem to cover, or even distract me from, how loud my T is, especially at night. About how loud should masking noises be? I don't know how high mine is in terms of decibels but I never listen to the app with the volume turned up more than a quarter of the way on my iPhone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi, they should be at a level the same as your tinnitus, so you can just about still hear it. That way they are supposed to help you habituate.

Of course you should always be careful not to have them too loud, especially when you're using earphones, to avoid hearing damage. If somebody has to raise their voice to be heard, that's a very basic guide to it being loud enough to start causing hearing damage. But it all depends on how loud and how long you're listening to it too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Steve Thanks for the response! I'm not listening to them through headphones, so this helps. I've had them right about at that level and keep them on throughout the night to help me sleep (mostly unsuccessfully)...it's just taking forever to habituate. Sigh.

8. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
    9. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    10. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
    11. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I just found this on YouTube, and it does a pretty good job (though doesn't eliminate the highest pitch) of masking my T and is also pleasant to have running in the background.

Heavy Rain and Wind Sounds For Sleeping /...

12. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      There are a lot of vids on youtube, but how good are they?

They try to sell it here:

http://www.hyperacusis.net/what-to-do/pink-noise-products/

They have various prices...I find it appalling that they try to profit from people's misery...this should be offered for free download, but they try to push hardware with it...

Anything free and open source out there? Sound resources that WON'T make it worse?

I've head stories of some tracks that suddenly get louder ect...

13. josh77

josh77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/4/2015
    14. dakotafred
      Depressed

dakotafred Member

Tinnitus Since:
    15. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      I read this thread and was surprised that this app. This is TMSoft's "White Noise" app (http://www.tmsoft.com/) which actually has a lot of different ambient sounds (some nature, and some more artificial things like a fan running or vacuum, not just white noise). There's a free version, and a paid version that has some more capabilities. You can mix sounds together, adjust the volume and balance of each one, and add or record your own sounds. It's available for Android, iOS, and Windows, and Mac. It might take a bit more setup than a standalone white noise player but I think it is a bit more flexible in what you can do with it than most standalone generators. You can connect your phone/laptop to a set of high-quality speakers, a sound pillow with audio input, one of those sound headbands, or earbuds (if your tinnitus is not due to ear damage... use with caution).

I recently developed high-pitched tinnitus (15,000Hz+) and after going totally crazy for a couple of weeks, this thing has been a life saver. I'm using crickets+heavy rain+brown noise. Even with a very low volume, the tinnitus is effectively masked.

16. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      I've been curious about this sound machine from Mike Petroff since hearing of the CD version in older forum posts, and the website(https://audiobionics.com/products/) seems up to date with product info and such. However, it doesn't seem to be available for purchase anywhere.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried contacting them about it, or if they've gotten it from somewhere, and how it worked out for them?

17. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      I was very interested in this thing during my early weeks. I contacted him and got a reply, stating that they were launching a new version which is why it was not available for purchase, and that it should be available for sale within two or three weeks. This was in August, I believe. I followed up several weeks later and never heard back.

I kept an eye on the site and he has been adding stuff and tidying it up over the past few months. But, the product is still not available for sale.

It's not a ghost product... Another member here gave an older version of the device high marks. I'm not sure why it is taking so long to get the new one to market.

If you become an ATA member, they have a sound library with some masking sounds that you can download. Three of them are DTM sounds (DTM is the old name for Mike Petroff's system). They are only one minute long but I found the "ENature" one to be very good for masking, I created a long seamless loop of it to use for myself for background noise.

I haven't used masking in some time now but I am still keeping an eye on this device, I would probably like to purchase one to have on hand in the event that my tinnitus ever takes a serious downturn.

18. BobK544

BobK544 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect sulfur medication
      I've downloaded a lot of mp3 sounds for masking, but none of them can come close to how well being in the shower totally masks my T and i realize that if i can duplicate whatever dimensional sounds are being generated in the stall, then i may be able to finally get some sleep, so i've been researching microphones and am close to getting this one:
      https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-P...8&qid=1515708587&sr=8-3&keywords=Sony+PCM-M10
      however someone mentioned that mp3s don't handle full sound ranges or something like that and so maybe a CD has the ability to record whatever dimensional sounds are being generated in the shower stall? For example, the water splashes are being bounced around in the stall area in all directions, so i would need a device that could capture all of those dimensional sounds right? I noticed there are a lot of musicians posting on this forum, so maybe they would have a good idea on how to capture these actual shower stall sounds more effectively? And i have literally convinced myself that if i can duplicate these shower sounds, then i might have a fighting chance as i've literally had to take the last 2 weeks off from work for lack of sleep, so if you have any ideas on how to capture these shower sounds i would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

19. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      From the amazon page: "Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz WAV audio"
      You should be fine. It's the lossy aspect of the mp3 compression that is an issue. You can use any lossless codec without any loss of high frequencies.
      Give it a shot!

20. BobK544

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So GregCA, what you're saying is that microphone looks like it might handle the necessary sound ranges and after capturing the shower sounds, i should then save the file using the lossless codec? And i've never heard of a lossless codec, but i do have windows 10, so would i then follow these instructions? thanks GregCA

Can Lagarith lossless codec work with Windows 10?

Hi guys,

I have an AVI video file I need to work with. It was exported a while back using Lagarith lossless codec. Anyone know how I might be able to use that video file on Windows 10?
      If not, does anyone know which is the latest version of Windows that supports the codec?
      Thanks

32.png
      Correct Answerby Jeff Bellune on Feb 2, 2017 8:33 PM
      1. Open the file you want to convert in VirtualDub.
      2. Select Video>Fast Recompress.
      3. Select Video>Compression.
      4. Scroll through the list of codecs and choose Lagarith.
      5. The default configuration should be fine. Click OK.
      6. Go to File>Save as AVI...
      7. Navigate to the folder where you want to save the file and type a name for the file. The .avi extension will be added automatically by VirtualDub.
      8. Click Save and watch VirtualDub do its thing. Done.
      Hopefully the new file will import into Pr without any problems.

21. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Just use WAV audio. It's the simplest. It's not compressed. It'll give you the quality you want. It's supported by pretty much every platform on the planet.
      Once you have that working you can start thinking about (lossless) compression.

22. BobK544

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    23. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes you got it.
      Remember you do not need to convert WAV to MP3 if your player can play WAV files (most do!). Nothing wrong with experimenting with it though: you may find that a resulting MP3 works well for you.
      Good luck!

24. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      I don't know about you guys but this one is the only hope for me, I mean I am not depressed or anything because of my loud high pitch tinnitus, it's just this sound masking owns them all. Please try everyone...

MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY 1...

25. JonathanWS

JonathanWS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma to the head
      And I tried hundreds.
      Can't say it cured me. I attribute that to luck, diet, supplementation, quitting bad habits, etc. but this really worked for me.
      耳鳴治療音樂 - 最有效的治療耳鳴音效! (15 分鐘見效) Tinnitus Sound...

26. Teofilo Vizcaino

Teofilo Vizcaino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hello, my tinnitus is manifested in the form of crickets (I hear crickets in my right hear). The following masking sound found in YouTube is working for me, it gives me relief and does not have annoying noises:

3 Hours Tinnutus Sound Therapy | Tinnutus...

However, a little whistle remains in my hear after hearing this audio. Do you have links for some masking sound that have worked for you? Although this one gives me relief, I want to test others to check if no whistle remains after hearing it.

27. steinamo
      Balanced

steinamo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      This track of crickets is the best thing I've found for masking. It's fantastic for my main tinnitus though it doesn't do so well with the extremely high frequency that pops up in my left ear at times.

Anyway, put it on a single loop. In Spotify go to your settings > playback and set the crossfade all the way to 12 second and it'll play through the night in a perfect loop. A life saver.

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      I'm mixed on this. While it's good that this study is pointing out that there needs to be a need for more varied treatments - besides TRT and CBT. TRT has been beneficial for some tinnitus and hyperacusis patients out there.

I remember reading one article last year that talked about this study, and stated at the end that this research still isn't strong enough to state that "white noise" therapies are overall detrimental. BUT it should be kept open as a possible hypothesis and researched further. In the mean time, lets continue developing more treatments that can help people with different types of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

30. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      Do those screeching sounds on tapes/videos, different frequencies, really help tinnitus...?