Tinnitus Newbie from an Ear Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ChrisfromCanada, Jan 22, 2017.

1. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Hi friends,

I got a severe ear and mastoid infection about 3 weeks ago. The infection ruptured my ear drum and I've been dealing with hearing loss since.

About a week after I lost my hearing I was awaken in my sleep from a loud, annoying ringing sensation in my ear/head. It didn't go away so I started panicking and did my research and found out about this condition called tinnitus.

I've only been suffering from this loud, annoying ringing for a week but at times I've hit rock bottom emotionally and broke down crying like a child.

I am a grown man, 40 years old with a wife and children and I'm struggling to be a father and a husband right now. From what I've read on this forum I see that many of you have dealt with tinnitus for years and my heart and prayers go out to all of you. I'm hoping that this calms down a bit and I get to live a regular life when my infection goes away.

Ive tried all the home remedies to calm it down such as apple cider vinegar with honey, ginko, etc and I know they all take time but I'm hoping at some point they take the edge off. Whether it be in a week or 6 months(hopefully much sooner then later) I have hope that it will taper off.

If any of you have developed tinnitus from an ear infection, I'm looking for any advice or positive words.

I look forward to hearing from you

Regards,

Chris

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @ChrisfromCanada

Welcome to the forum, one Canuck to another. Don't panic and despair. There are many members who have ruptured or damaged eardrum and yet they recover and have written their success stories. Try masking your T to get some relief from it. Also see an ENT to get the ears looked at. Here are some success stories of people with eardrum injury to help lift your spirit. You can also search under Success Stories of Knowledge base with the word 'eardrum' and you can read a lot more people with success even after ear injury. So take it easy and don't despair. Good days will be back. Take good care. God bless your recovery.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/firsts.15997/#post-188582

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-tinnitus-is-completely-gone.16169/page-2#post-191974

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-life-update.16574/#post-199708

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Bless you and thank you for this Billie48. I`m taking this day by day and I know it will get better

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There is a good chance that your tinnitus will go away once the infection clears out.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I`m hoping so, Thank you Greg.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Hi there, I had an ear infection a month ago that ruptured my ear drum. A few days later came the loud ringing in the ear.

For the first two weeks it was extremely loud and unbearable and I lost my mind.

Now it tapers off and increases through out the day and I'm still kinda losing it. At night I take an ativan to calm me down to sleep and it seems that the ringing also dies down a bit.

I am trying to cut down a lot on smoking to see if that is the cause of the ringing, Ive gone from a pack a day to 4 cigarettes a day and it just may be the cause I'm really not sure.I had a CT scan and the doctor says I may have possible cholesteatoma.

He wants me to have an mri to make sure if it is or if its just inflammation from my ear infection. Now the waiting continues and so does the ringing.....I'm in a bad state right now. Any info will help

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Chris,
      Just wanted reply on here so others know you are getting some support if not had any replies at the moment.
      Keep intouch as you need by pm still or can reply on here to you too.
      @Jake007 is going through the same aswell and supporting him by pm's.
      Im sure you could be support for eachother also...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1