Tinnitus Now for... 5-7 Years... Feeling Down

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Carriew, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Carriew

Carriew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. Not 100% sure how long I've had tinnitus for but I'm guessing about 5-7 or so years. I have a history of lyme disease (not CDC positive but Igenix positive - which I'm not convinced I had). Anyway, I was seeing a lyme literate doctor who had me on many abx. I was having a lot of nervous system things happening, was sent to UCSF for possible Ms. 20 lesions on brain but no MS.....

I also started taking Cymbalta about maybe 8 years ago (30 Mg) daily because of all my issues, I was seriously depressed. Fast forward, I'm feeling much much better physically. Anyway, trying to keep my history short here, but wanted to give a general idea.

I decided that I want to wean myself from the Cymbalta, so I have opened my capsules and remove one pellet from each capsule for 7 days which is a 10% decrease. In two days, I'll remove another pellet which represents a 20% decrease, etc. I've noticed a huge increase in the level of my tinnitus and it's driving me crazy and then the vicious cycle starts and I know that anyone with tinnitus knows what I mean by this.

I'm so happy I found this forum because you all know what it's like.

Anyway, I have a question: When I go away on vacation or just out of my daily element, I sometimes have a complete cessation of my tinnitus. It will be completely gone. I then come home, wake up the next morning and bam....there it is again. It's mostly in my right ear, but I do get it in both ears when it's bad (like it is tonight). I expect it to be bad while I'm getting off my Cymbalta but I'm scared....is it going to get permanently worse...? oey...so many if's.....

Because my tinnitus can completely go away at times (sometimes for several days), is it possible that it might go away permanently some day???

Feeling frustrated...and not sure what to do and just looking for opinions.

Thanks so much!!!!

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Welcome to the forum!

Your situation seems so unique because you have a lot of things that could potentially be contributing to the tinnitus.

The good news is that your tinnitus can come and go for a couple of days. That is a nice break to have that most of us never experience.

You should keep track of when your tinnitus comes and goes as well as any activities that could cause it to increase or decrease. This may help you zero in on the reason your tinnitus jumps around and changes. Keep a detailed journal as long as it doesn’t cause you to constantly think about tinnitus, which can make your perceive it more instead of forget it.

I hope other will chime in and try to give you some more information regarding this! Best of luck!

3. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Glad you found this place too. It hard to go thru this when others don't quite understand.

I feel there is a possibility for your tinnitus to go away one day because thats more plausible than with someone who got it from acoustic trauma which didn't happen to you.

So you started Cymbalta before you had tinnitus? I read that tinnitus is a side effect of Cymbalta. But it doesn't say if thats temporary or permanent. My guess is it could be temporary and its worth trying to get off it if thats what you ultimately want to do. If it doesn't go away, I guess you can always go back on it. But it could take a few days, weeks or months even to dissipate so you'd have to be prepared to give it time.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is very unusual...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like the stress of daily life is better when away from home, and the T improves. Have you considered some relaxation techniques, yoga or exercise to reduce stress?

@Bill Bauer Agree that this is unusual, and many folks around here would love to take a vacation as well from their H/T!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Carriew -- First of all, yes, I do believe your tinnitus could go away completely some day. But it may take a bit more sleuthing on your part to make that happen. Secondly, I highly recommend you read THIS POST, as some of the details are similar to yours. -- All the Best!

7. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, that is amazing that it can go away for a few days when you are on holiday. That does seem to indicate that you might have quite a big link with stress? Is there anything else you can do to reduce stress in life? I do remember seeing an article where in individual gave an account of daily meditation making their tinnitus much quieter.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Carriew ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.

When reducing antidepressant medication do it with your doctor supporting you.
      Taking beads out can work and I did it that way also.
      Don't rush the reduction as they take 6-8 weeks even 12 weeks to work so you won't see side effects like depression returning for weeks .
      One bead reduced every two weeks gives your brain more time adjust and less problems ....well done just do a very slow taper.

love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Where do you live? I mean do you live at the ocean level or on the mountain?
      Do you have allergies or clogged nose?
      Did you do an eustachian tube function test?
      When you go on vacation (where tinnitus stops) what's the climate like?

What's the pitch of your tinnitus? Is it a low hum or a tone? Do you have any feeling of vibration in your ear?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carriew

Carriew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone and THANK YOU for your support.

Glnynis: I was actually thinking this morning even before reading your post that maybe I should taper slower and reduce one bead every two weeks. Your suggestion confirmed what I was thinking and thank you!!! I shall do that.

Arsney: I have a high pitched tone. I do not have a feeling of vibration in my ear however, I feel like they are clogged a lot. I've been to an ENT several times, but everything is normal including my hearing tests. I also get this weird sensation in my right ear at times where it feels like a warming sensation in my ear drum. It only lasts a minute but I don't know what that is.? I also get very sensitive ears on some days. Even doing the dishes is hard. That has become much less frequent, but it does happen still. I have never a tube test though that you mentioned. What is that? Should I get one? I just want to make sure there is no risk of further damage by doing more tests. I go to all lengths to protect my ears these days!!! :)

My ears have quieted down considerably in the last few days since I originally posted (thank goodness) but unfortunately, I know it's only a temporary thing but I'll take it!!!!

I live in Northern CA. I don't feel like I have allergies, but who knows. It doesn't matter where I go on vacation...as long as I'm away from home, it gets better. I know that my anxiety plays a HUGE role in my levels of tinnitus. No denying that. I do need to practice on reducing that but I'm a type A++++ personality and it's really really hard for me.

Thanks again!!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Kristopherk

Kristopherk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If it actually goes away when you are on vacation and stress plays a role. I would seriously consult with a Functional Medicine practitioner. It could very well be diet / nutritional related. Stress is the foundation for many conditions and nutrition plays a vital role on how your body reacts to stress.

You may also want to look into Magnesium / Mineral / B-Vitamins deficiency which would also be related to how your body deals with stress.

Please keep us updated.

12. Sudbury

Sudbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hang in there. Celebrate the quiet days as oppossed to getting down when you notice it.