Tinnitus Only Gets Worse and Not Better?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

I have briefly returned to this site in need of advice. I have had my tinnitus for a little over a year now, and it has certainly evolved. Initially, things like benzodiazapines, residual inhibition, masking, etc. could help improve the tinnitus for a short while. Xanax used to almost silence it. These days my clonazepam hardly touches it anymore. Exercise doesn't really help, nor does kava, weed, or alcohol (though I don't drink).

My main tone is very high pitched and difficult to mask. I have heard that over time, the tinnitus signal may lessen but become a "memory" in the brain it doesn't readily or easily get ride of. I think this idea is wrong because drugs do worsen my tinnitus, but don't seem to improve it much anymore. It is very frustrating and is starting to make my life very stressful again.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I haven't taken amitriptyline in a while but the aftereffects of that drug are so awful it takes weeks to adjust. Clonazepam doesn't seem to work. Exercise, but dropping blood pressure, helps a little but soon makes it go back up. DXM, an NMDA antagonist, may have helped, but the tinnitus was still hearable.

I'm not sure what to do to lessen it anymore, and as you all know, I don't accept coping (alone) as a "treatment" strategy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Gl0w0ut I'm having a hard time with the lost of my cat along with having severe increasing physical pain. Both times that I got instant tinnitus was because of irresponsible medical or dental implant treatment. Please take my thoughts with consideration that I might be wrong.

I remember you saying when you woke up one morning your tinnitus was almost gone. Some studies say that blood pressure, blood flow and sleeping position by placing balanced pressure on a particular nerve is almost always the reason if neck and jaw physicals are not involved. Maybe a blood flow nerve/artery conduction study would give you some answers. Maybe sleeping on two pillows if you don't have a neck problem.

• Hug Hug x 4
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I always think about your situation, I hope things get better for you. You are always in my prayers...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah that's gonna work.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I am hoping I See improvement but nothing yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I will be doing some experimenting with microdosing Psilocybin mushrooms soon...will make a report to TT.
      There are no data available on microdosing and tinnitus anywhere, but from what I read it could be very promising for fixing brain injuries and creating new pathways that brain would not be able to create under normal circumstances..
      This could be both good or bad, but listening to Joe Rogan's show seems to suggest that it can help enhance hearing, as there was an account of a deaf guy, whom was able to hear ants walking on the other end of a pier when he was lying on it.
      Now the question is, will it enhance the hearing so tinnitus goes away, or will it enhance the sound of tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      As you are probably aware, stopping benzos can put the central nervous system in a state of shock, which happened to me six months ago and I'm still not back to normal. I don't know how much you took, or for how long, but you may need to steer clear from all pharmaceutical brain drugs, as well as alcohol, before you see improvement. Hope you feel better soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Prayer can be a powerful thing for a believer in God. Not necessarily to cure their T, but to give comfort and acceptance for the (hopefully temporary) situation a person finds himself in.
      I'll bet even a non believer would cry out to God for help dealing with Tinnitus
      PS....I have seen a few miracles from prayer in my days

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Prayer is begging.
      Most non-believers will not beg a deity, which they do not believe in, for help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Shock is not even the word. Benzos once addicted can wreak havoc N hell on the mind/body....Just hang in there bud. I don't know if you cold turkey or not, just hang in there. It can take some time. I know how hard this situation is and you have my admiration for sticking it out...

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got off dependency before. My dose lately is .25mg. I keep it articifically low. Shouldn't be too hard to break.

As for avoiding drugs that's a no can do. I don't drink anymore but when school resumes so will my Adderall. I consume caffeine and other drugs as sleep aids. The dose is fairly low so it shouldn't be too much a problem. I can skip a day just fine. It's skipping several when it becomes problematic

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why do you come to my posts if you aren't going to address myself? I guess I don't have anything for you to misinterpret or twist this time.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No offense, but please spare myself and others the whole "faith healing" nonsense. It doesn't work and any derived benefit is likely placebo at best.

14. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Hariz Nonis Hi Hariz:

Problems within the neck from injury, posture relations - hyperextension and artery blood flow can cause other problems within the neck including muscle tenderness or tenseness. The neck can cause other problems within facial, mouth, jaw, head and ears including hyperacusis/TTTS. These other problems can also cause neck stress.

To know if there's a neck problem, neck X rays are a good place to start.
      To know if infection is part of a tinnitus problem, testing of white and red blood cells.
      A hearing exam.

I'm not sure what is causing your T, but ETD, sinus and nasal is common among younger people.
      The Emergency rooms and doctor's offices in the US are full with patients with ETD, sinus and nasal problems.

These problems
      as primary source can effect the ears, other facial, the jaw, the neck and a lot of other stuff.
      I would focus first on primary that may be causing secondary issues.

16. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm intrigued by your post. You said Xanax used to almost silence it but these days "clonazepam hardly touches it". Why did you switch from Xanax to clonazepam? I"m not saying you shouldn't have, but I was curious as to what happened and if Xanax worked better than clonazepam or that Xanax stopped working too. Do you still take clonazapam and if so, what is the dosage that you are on and what is the dosage that used to work?

On a side note, I sometimes can have a high pitched tinnitus tone that clonzapam used to help during the day but it stopped working. There have been a few times when it has come in that I was able to change it with lithium orotate (a supplement I got from the vitamin store) from a high pitch tone to more of a whistle that blends in easier with background noise. I still haven't figured out how to take it consistently without getting bad intestinal problems though.

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      show evidence, I don't think tinnitus works like that.

18. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Can you tell me some of the miracles that happened? I'm not being sarcastic, I just really could use some inspiration.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1