Tinnitus Relapse from Stress / Perimenopause / Root Canal / Quercetin / IV Antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DebInAustralia, Dec 6, 2021.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hello all,

A month into another relapse. I could use some support and input.

—Naturopathic treatment for Lyme/coinfections since 2017

—Significant relapse last year after a month long pain flare, followed by a spike in my right ear. Tinnitus became more intrusive and made life very difficult. Months away from work to give myself some rest. In the end, I decided to force myself back to work, given the lack of treatments, and pray that keeping busy would enable me to rehabituate or at least keep busy till a treatment becomes available. It was at this time, I think perimenopause kicked in. Eventually, at some point, my t backed off again.

—I had another relapse in March of this year, but it must have backed off again until my month long relapse now.

Possible factors leading up to my current relapse:
      • Aunty died in jan/ stress around sorting out her estate
      • Perimenopause
      • Head injury/post concussion syndrome in July
      • Dental issues - root canal recently
      • Had been taking quercetin long term for histamine issues/head injury but have stopped since reading a link on here indicating it may be ototoxic
      • Developed a septic knee bursa about a month ago - was given 2 gm IV Cefazolin and a weeks worth of Cephalexin. not long after this, i noticed the t was more intrusive (I had reached a point where I could sit in a quiet room and barely notice the tinnitus or be bothered by it when I would hear it)
      What do you all think is going on?

Obviously, this is interfering with the quality of my life. I am being driven by fear and that is not fun.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey everyone,

I could really use some support right now. I am still really struggling to rehabituate. I have relapsed since October 2021. I can't seem to get back on the horse. I am hearing my tinnitus everywhere all day long. I am not getting a break from it, and as a result, i spend a lot of my day inconsolably sad and frightened.

As mentioned, I am no longer able to work due to the vaccine mandates here.

I have tried many things to try to get myself back to some sense of normalcy, without success.

I have tried to resign myself to simply letting go, letting be and just have faith in Terry's Back to Silence method. But, my anxiety and lack of sleep is making this impossible.

I hope someone with severe, loud, intrusive tinnitus (head and ears) who has habituated to at least reaction, can respond, and help me. I am at a loss how to move forward with my life as it is. My quality of life is very poor. I am sorry to be so negative, but I am being honest.

I have spoken to family and friends, 2 of which have habituated in reaction. Do you think I can? Noooooooo... I have tried to address my anxiety and OCD, thinking this was a barrier to habituation. This hasn't helped either.

I hope someone has something helpful to say. I am at a loss what to do next.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      You need to get the sleep back on track. Get on benzos, Zopiclone, Zolpidem short term if you must. If you struggle with sleep, you stand no chance habituating to tinnitus. I know you are afraid of these medications but many people do well on them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      When I couldn't sleep, I was put on 15 mg of Mirtazapine. Worked wonders for a full night's of sleep. A lot have had success with it. But I have read some haven't.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks. I might have to consider. I do get off to ZzZ... I just don't stay asleep... And then a whole day of noise ahead of me...

Have you habituated?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Further to this thread, for those with increased/new onset tinnitus from hormonal fluctuations, I have had a conversation with my naturopath about the possibility of this relapse being related to perimenopause - which declared itself in 2020 (during another relapse).

She mentioned that low progesterone is associated with low serotonin and low GABA. I also read that high estrogen to progesterone is associated with the above.

We are going to do salivary hormones to get a baseline, then look at bumping up my progesterone with herbal remedies (vitex)?

We are also doing urinary neurotransmitter testing - again, to get a baseline prior to commencing amino acids (precursors).

I am going to start Lentra - which is a formula containing precursors to GABA.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      I've been reading a book about menopause recently, I discovered that hearing loss is a possible side effect of hormone therapy. Besides the other risks, that made me decide against it. I know there is a study in which HRT helped tinnitus in a small group of women. But still, I can't live with that risk.

8. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Hi Deb, thanks for this information. I hadn't heard this before. Recent blood tests show I still have normal estrogen but my progesterone is low. Doctor didn't say anything about addressing this but I wonder if it is affecting my tinnitus.

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Deb,

Menopause, stress, anxiety, insomnia, low mood can all ramp up tinnitus.

Sometimes tinnitus just has a mind of its own and it's definitely challenging to get on in life.

My ears are out to get me as lots of stress came my way and the situation is not over.

But my my ears never behave and they sound like a ruptured gas pipe with a base sound with it, like a racing car...

Love,
      Glynis

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am sorry to hear that Glynis...

I do understand as I am very challenged by this relapse.

At least the Nortriptyline has erased your head noise.

I wonder why it didn't address your peripheral tinnitus? I have read reports of Meniere's disease being linked to autoimmunity - would you ever consider LDN (low-dose Naltrexone)?

I've started a protocol to bump up my progesterone and drive down histamine. Beyond that, I don't know what i am going to do - maybe try LDN?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I agree with you. This is why I prefer to try to address the hormonal aspects naturally without having to resort to hormones directly.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Happy to share. If you Google low Progesterone, GABA, Serotonin, and neuroinflammation, you will find a lot of information. I think it makes sense that hormonal imbalances would impact on the severity of tinnitus. Definaitely something to consider, as is the possibility of histamine intolerance.

13. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      You are a genuine hero!

God bless you Glynis.

Wishing you peace and good fortune and Love.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Pulling for you Deb.

You're going to pull through this, I'm sure {my intuition tells me so}.

Slowly slowly, lean on drugs if you must to calm your anxieties down.

We are all pulling for you and want you to get back to "normal" asap.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      Me too. But the only things I've read can help with hormones specifically are soy milk, and ground flax seed, both of which I consume daily. Do you have any other methods?

16. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi Deb, reading this really saddened me. You are such a kind and caring person and you don’t deserve any of this, and neither does anyone else who is suffering on here.

I have severe tinnitus (head and ears), and I’ve had relapses in habituation, so I know how truly horrible it is. If your sleep hygiene is being affected, then I’d say you need to find a way to sort this out as a priority because lack of sleep makes tinnitus worse and it fuels the cycle.

You are a longterm member so there isn’t much that you don’t already know. All I can say is that it takes time to rehabituate, but if you did it before, then you are very likely to do it again. I think one of the most important aspects is to get outside of your own head. When we relapse, we tend to go back to a state of hyper-observation where we live in our minds a lot and become very inward thinking. I believe being in this state amplifies the problem, and with no sleep added into the mix, then you’re asking for trouble. I would recommend trying to become more outward thinking again by doing activities that get you outside of your own headspace. This won’t suddenly make you habituate and make you ignore the noise, but it will put you on the right path again and in time that would be the likely outcome. It’s extremely hard to force yourself to do things when you’re depressed, though, and that’s the problem.

I recommend taking walks in beautiful locations; taking up new thought provoking hobbies, and even cleaning up or decorating your house will get you out of that mindset. If it gets to extremes where you just can’t cope, then there’s no shame in seeking out medications that may help you.

Ultimately, though, it takes time and you won’t just suddenly find that you’ve rehabituated. It creeps up on you really slowly.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Friends,

I am in a state of panic and despair. Please, only positive comments. I am fragile.

As I have mentioned before, I am in the midst of anther relapse, which began at the end of October last year.

My brain is grappling with this new reality, and the fear of the unknown is really engulfing me.

I relapsed in 2020. It was preceded by lots of work and personal stress, was still in treatment for Lyme (herbs), the onset of perimenopause etc. Unable to work for a few months, I returned to work praying I would rehabituate. Either the volume backed off or I rehabituated.

2021 was stressful - but tinnitus was fine until October after receiving antibiotics and perimenopause.

Since then, life has been back to the struggle many of you are familiar with.

I am back to wondering how I am going to live my life like this ongoingly if this is as good as it gets.

I have tried to rehabituate, but its not happening in spite of coaching, positive thinking etc.

I woke up early this morning, and decided (very rarely resort to this) I would take 2 mg Diazepam. Shortly after this, I then ended up with a spike in my left ear. Of course, I am now worried the Diazepam has caused this, in spite of never having an issue with it in the past.

Has anyone else had an issue with taking a sporadic, low dose benzo? Again, please no negative comments.

I think learning that Shore's lack of timely progress with unveiling the results of her trial etc has really plummetted me to the depths of depression and anxiety about my future now. (On that, I have written to Jon Pearson - CEO Auricle - about this to seek further clarification.)

My partner was meant to work over Easter, but was too scared to leave me alone. I have been referred to a mental health team locally, who don't have much of an idea about the impact of severe tinnitus. (I didn't actually expect them to). I am due to see a psychiatrist on Tuesday. I am sure medications will come up in the conversation. I already know now that I won't agree to take anything because my fear of making matters worse.

Please, anyone with truly severe tinnitus, respond with some of your strategies by getting your life back. I am in a bad way, and I don't know how much more of this I can take.

I am considering biodentical hormones as I do know my progesterone is very low, as is my GABA and serotonin. Even trying these things terrifies me as I can't take handle it getting worse.

I am sorry I am writing such a negative post. I am frightened.

• Hug Hug x 3
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Tina,

I'd love to compare notes with you. I understand how risky is it for you. I am exactly the same, but my quality of life as not good and I need to take action. What approach are you taking?

I would stay away from soy (high in Glutamate). I was considering flax. I think I am getting impatient because of the level of my suffering. But like you, the fear of making this worse is overwhelming.

Have you had your hormones checked? I know a lot of practitioners don't bother, given the fluctuations. My naturopath uses Dutch hormones, which gives a very comprehensive report involving all of the hormonal metabolites. Basically, it concludes I'm likely in perimenopause. (I am 55 and irregular cycles since 2020).

I'd seriously consider doing salivary hormone studies over blindly supplementing.

If you haven't, I'd be getting your thyroid checked too; including free T3 and T4 and antibodies (salivary).

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Glynis,

I forgot to ask if menopause has affected your tinnitus in anyway?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you for your response. I am sorry I am late in replying. Issue with me is I am paranoid about everything that passes my lips. I would love a good night's sleep but fear taking something like Mirtazapine might cause further issues.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Ed,

I am touched by your kind words to me. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I appreciate the time you've taken to write.

I can't see how I am going to habituate (I hate that word) to this now.

Can I ask when you say your tinnitus is severe, but you have rehabituated, does that mean in reaction and perception?

Last year, for me, I was largely not hearing it and when I did, I wasn't bothered by it at all. Now I feel like I am back to the start all over again.

• Hug Hug x 5
    22. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi Deb, yea mine is severe and I've had several relapses. I think it's par for the course with this condition.

I've lost count of the number of times I’ve gone from being habituated and then back to tormented again; sometimes it can only take the smallest of things to flick the switch, so to speak.

In answer to your question, at the moment I’m habituated to the reaction and the perception, but of course, this could all change at a future date for me as well. What I’ve found, though, is events that would have plunged me into total despair - like waking up with a new tone or louder tinnitus perception - no longer have anywhere near the same impact upon me. For example, I woke up recently with a horrible screeching sound in my left ear (on top of my regular sounds), and there was a moment of what the hell is that, and then I fell back to sleep. Later that day I could no longer hear it. This would never have happened a few years back because my heart would have started racing and I would have felt physically sick. There’s no way in a million years I’d have gone back to sleep; I’d have stayed up all night worrying about it.

I’ve also noticed that the brain struggles to focus on more than one or two serious issues. When problems with my chest resurfaced, it’s like my brain flicked a switch and stopped caring about my tinnitus because the torment that was creating became a much greater burden. It’s a strange realisation when it happens. You realise the noise in your head is loud and constant, but you just don’t care about it anymore (because there’s something worse to concentrate on).

I believe if you’ve habituated before you will habituate again, but it may take a lot longer this time around. You can’t force yourself into this state; it has to happen naturally.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    23. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      Hi Deb,

I truly feel for you as I have been in the severe tinnitus situation over a year. I simply could not understand when someone told me "they had it too" and were ok. It was LOUD. I still hear it about 70% of my day, but knowing it's not 100% of my day now and the volume dropped is helping me cope seeing something positive. I hold onto hope if it's changed maybe it will continue to? Doctors tried also giving me multiple ADs and I remained on Klonopin for about 9 months (it never reduced my volume).

I know I am a 'newbie' here but the only way I moved forward was setting a strict routine daily and making sure I got sleep. Sometimes, this means I will take a shower or bath 3x a day to get by. I started thinking 'just one foot in front of the other' and to get by for my 12 year old son, 2 adult daughters and grandkids. I still can't enjoy tv more than 1-2x a week relaxing and stuff like before this, but try to stay busy doing other things like refinishing furniture etc.

I did the OTO-313 trial as I was desperate. It may have helped? I'm not sure. I recently started microdosing mushrooms and I take Gabapentin and CBN to sleep at night. My doctor said he would prescribe Naltrexone for me to try as well.

Your post piqued my interest as I also think peri/menopause is an added culprit for me too. My tinnitus started in November 2020 and I started having fluctuating periods the same month after being clockwork my entire life (I am 47). Then they stopped completely this past November 2021 and I am having the real fun stuff begin with night sweats and hot flashes in the day. I had sleep more under control getting 6 hours straight and now I'm back to waking 2x at night again.

I hope you start to heal soon and am also going to look at some of the things you mentioned with progesterone and neurotransmitter testing.

Big hugs, I know where you are <3

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes I think so.

Love, Glynis

25. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @DebInAustralia, so sorry to hear that you are going through all this and please know you’re definitely not alone in your struggles Deb. I’ve had another nasty unexpected setback and truly understand the frustration of finally feeling you have a handle on it only to be kicked down, yet again... It’s VERY frustrating to say the least, especially when dealing with other life stuff. Sending you positive healing vibes. You need to believe in yourself to get through this! xx

• Hug Hug x 2