Tinnitus Related to Stiff Neck and Back?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JodyB, Nov 26, 2020.

1. JodyB

JodyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hi there,

My high pitched tinnitus started the end of 2018. I’m not sure why and it seems to be predominantly in my left ear but my left ear has always been my stronger ear.

At the time I’d been to an Arctic Monkeys gig and also just gotten over quite a bad head cold so it could have been either or neither. I’ve had a CT scan, various hearing tests and blood tests carried out and then discharged saying there’s nothing they can do but I was wondering...

I’ve had a stiff back which affects how I walk and a stiff neck pretty much all my adult life, I’m 46 now, and I can’t tilt my neck sideways at all without my opposite shoulder rising up. I also dislocated my left shoulder many years ago.

Could any of these be linked to my tinnitus at all? Has anybody else had a similar experience?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @JodyB

Tinnitus can be caused by many things. The increase could be related to your neck, shoulder and back problems so it's best to see your doctor and probably referred to ENT for tests.

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. The Arctic Monkey gig you went to probably caused it. Do you regularly listen to music through headphones or earbuds? Do you were a headset or work in a noisy environment? Any of these these things can cause tinnitus to increase. If you do use headphones even at low volume my advice is to stop using them.

Please click on the links below and read my posts that you might find helpful.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JodyB

JodyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Thanks for your reply, no I don’t wear headphones or headset or work in a noisy environment and the ENT all came back fine. At the same time my tinnitus started we had the process of buying a house which was incredibly stressful for various reasons and also I suffer from high blood pressure.

I have had the odd moments and I mean split seconds where it’s completely gone but only very very briefly

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Stress can make tinnitus increase and with high blood pressure more so. I have high blood pressure too. When I was selling my house, buying and eventually moved, the whole process was very stressful. My tinnitus increased a lot and would constantly fluctuate. I found St John's Wort, a natural herb helpful and is good for stress. It is well known, big events like buying and selling a home, marriage, change of job creates a lot of stress. Have a word with your family doctor.

Best of luck.
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JodyB

JodyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Thanks. The doctors aren’t interested anymore and discharged me saying there’s nothing they could do other than give me ramipril

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please read my posts in the links I've sent you as there's something helpful information. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night. The way to do this is by using low level sound enrichment, more information is in my posts.

Give it while see how you get on and if the tinnitus doesn't settle go back to your doctor.

7. Gareth Davies
      Dreaming

Gareth Davies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection & ETD
      Look into TMJ as well - you might find some answers there. :bookworm:

8. ZaneBerry

ZaneBerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How are you doing these days? Mine is definitely neck tension related. Even the fleeting tinnitus is related to that.

9. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ZaneBerry - I suspect my fleeting tinnitus is due to either posture issues or excess supplements.

Do you take any medication or supplements? Are you doing exercises for posture?