Tinnitus Safe Travel & Meeting Network — Participants

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zimichael, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      As an example to illustrate "place", I will use my own situation a few hours north of San Francisco in N. California:

I have a guest bedroom that is never used. A beautiful and very quiet location with an incredible view and deck overlooking a huge valley. Hiking from the front gate. 10 minutes to town. The state's biggest Redwood tree in an almost private unknown grove of Redwoods 30 minutes away (no crowds – you can be there totally alone 9 times out of 10). Lots of local wineries and gardens to visit. A coastal area of some fame and beauty an hour away – though the Pacific Ocean is too cold here for swimming for my blood! And so on.

As for who I am (the people part), my Profile is there to look at as a first stop.
      Old timers will have somewhat of a sense for who I am from the years of posts we interacted on and the style and manner in which I did so. Others can do a search on Tinnitus Talk under my user-name and find threads I started or was heavily involved in. They may even be on subjects relevant to you but are so buried in history you had no idea they are there! Reading some will give you a general impression I expect.

Then of course, there is the unfortunate fact that I am someone who has extensive life experience with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I have a deep experiential understanding of the subject and you need have no fear of anything in the "noise spectrum" here. Normal speaking levels and so forth are fine for me and visitors would not have to feel like they must behave like frightened mice!

Lastly a few pictures:

upload_2018-7-13_13-12-13.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-13-28.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-14-33.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-15-14.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-16-8.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-17-12.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-18-0.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-18-41.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-19-21.png

upload_2018-7-13_13-20-0.png

The bedroom shown is the "Guest Bedroom" I mentioned.

Hope others add to this thread. Best ~ Zimichael

• Like Like x 6
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Nice, tranquil setting. California is amazing!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Bump!

4. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Calling dibs on the guest bedroom.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SugarMagnolia - I presume your comment is a light-hearted banter (which is fine). Though of course if even somewhat serious or wishful thinking don't leave it there...step up! This thing will only work if people get involved. And yes I know all about "limitations" and "trepidations", as have tons of them I assure you. Yet I also know that without taking a smidgen of risk nothing will change, as my last three years or more have clearly shown me!

Best, Zimichael

6. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Zimichael
      I admit, I only half understand the meaning of the network. I assume it's about vacation spots, which I can only fantasize about.

7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @SugarMagnolia I love your avatar!!

Yes it took me a few times reading this to get the idea straight.

I think @Zimichael would like to establish some sort of internet sharing about where to travel and where to stay for those with severe tinnitus/hyperacusis.

Like Zimichael's home in beautiful Northern California with a guest room suite that could possibly be sort of like and Air B&B? Northern California is one of the most beautiful parts of my state.

Others may have similar places all over the world.

Some people could met up feeling safe with other severe tinnitus/hyperacusis people allowing the fear of travel and dream vacation to lessen. Giving hope to make travel a viable choice.

Lots of stuff to work out but a good idea. Hope I got it right in explaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Starthrower - yes very well put above! The only thing I would add to this one sentence below though, is the meeting part.

I realize you are not disqualifying that at all from your description but it is at least as important to me as the travel and getting out aspect. Meeting new people if one has severe tinnitus/hyperacusis is daunting as being invisible they find it so hard to take as "real" and act accordingly (i.e. carefully re sound!). Yet the danger to us is 100% real so leads to the isolation, loneliness, and so on that I know I am not the only one experiencing.
      People with moderate tinnitus or even sensitive hearing find it less "bizarre" and thus don't write me off as a nut-case. In short easier to meet and maybe get to know. However, finding them is a needle in a haystack or pure serendipity.

Thus the equally important "meet" part of my proposal too. I apologize if I wrote it in such a way as to be difficult to grasp. Thanks for being so diligent and reading it a number of times to get straight!

Best, Zimichael

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SugarMagnolia... It struck me later that maybe you only 'semi-understood' the Network idea as had not realized or seen the primary "Discussion" thread for it?!
      In case that is so, and in case others miss it too (and where actually this kind of back and forth more correctly belongs) here is the link - as the post/thread has already dropped off the front page of "Support":

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-safe-travel-meeting-network-—-discussion.30153/

Best ~ Zimichael

• Like Like x 1
    10. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      I am in Bangkok, noisy AF but if you wanna hang with me I can show you quiet places.