Tinnitus Simulation Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by FelixHOwest, Feb 23, 2016.

1. FelixHOwest

FelixHOwest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I do not have tinnitus
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i do not have tinnitus
      Hey guys!

I am a Belgian student at the Howest school, studying to become an industrial designer.

We got an assignment to develop a product that simulates tinnitus, to make people more aware of this problem.

Me and my partner are still in development stage, our idea now is to get a little machine that produces a sound matching the 'beep' tinnitus patients experience.

We would connect this machine to some headphones. And make an extension to get the headphones near the ears but not in them (it would disturb the sounds coming in).

Now, we are still missing a vital part. We have not found a machine that can be programmed to a certain sound and an audio output.

We would appreciate any kind of help, tips and insight to the problem.
      (even your experiences, and ideas to recreate how it feels to have tinnitus would be great.

Felix de Hoog, Laurens Callewaert
      1IPO5
      Howest
      Belgium

2. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      A simple mp3 player would do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My tinnitus you could not simulate unless you wanted someone to have permanent hearing damage in about 2 minutes listening to it. My tinnitus sits between 9khz and 18khzish. The human ear does not pick up external sounds in these ultra high pitches very well to begin with so you would have to turn them to ear damaging levels to simulate what I hear. When you get it loud enough to where it inflicts pain, this would be somewhere around the level that I experience 24 7, unfortunately at that point you may have tinnitus yourself from listening to it. I guess that would cause a lot of people to become aware. Give em T and they will definitely be careful in the future. Haha

4. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      You have a tinnitus sound generator in thé ATA site

5. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      Stichting hoormij/nvvs.nl can provide a cd with tinnitus sounds.