Tinnitus Since 1974, Can You Beat That?

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Feb 16, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Man, I guess I'm an old timer. Ah, the old days. EVERYTHING revolved around music. And there was lots of loud music around. So, who's pre-74 on the T list?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Yeah...since 1956 so have 18 years on you IWLM.

Though to be fair, it did not bother me for too long as a 6 year old, but I do remember complaining to my mother regularly for a few years. Kids adapt better than these older cells on the way out to the end game! My real pain in the head tinnitus started in 1980 when it got much louder and started to directly affect my life requiring more serious 'noise avoidance'. (Then there was + volume in 2006, then there was more in 2012...and hopefully no more as this is already a nuttso level). Almost have no idea what "silence" means it's been so long.

Hope to hell it's not just loud hymns and trumpets all the time 'upstairs' if go to the Big Guy (or Gal) in the Sky. Or maybe I'll be heading downwards and the roaring fires in Hades will be deafening, let alone all the screaming and anguish, etc., etc. Great, what a lot to look forward to!

Best, Zimichael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I forgot about the trumpets!! Oh no. hehe
      Anyway, congrats. You beat me.
      I just want the youngsters to know it ain't the end of the world.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Bobo

Bobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I just developed T a year ago. I'm 55 and grew up in Cleveland, and enjoyed many years of concerts at the old Cleveland stadium. On T, I think it was caused by many (20) years of dealing with gout issues. I was on meds when the T started. I also have high frequency hearing loss in my right ear. I've enjoyed working out over the past 25 years and it's a great stress reliever. My question to the very experienced: 1) how long on average does it take to habituate; and 2) what excersices help or could be harmful to tinnitus.......or do you just live life and be thankful for what you have, which I've always done. My wife thinks I'm googling myself crazy, which could be the case. Thanks and take care.

Greg

5. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Greg... Big subject. Habituation is very personal and can be easy or hard. This board has tons of advice on that and many great answers/ideas/helpful things to consider. So do some trolling around.

The main key you will find is TIME.

The other thing you will find, is that tinnitus without hyperacusis is a lot easier to adapt to than if you have hyperacusis added to the mix. (In short, you don't just have ringing or whatever yours is, but loudish sound also "hurts" or feels like it is damaging you even more - which it is generally - and then your tinnitus increases! Not good).

I would say on average, a year is a good bet. If you are highly strung, maybe a bit longer. If laid back maybe half that time IF your tinnitus is not out the bloody roof loud (like mine is - but I have had four jumps up over the years. Read my profile if want to know why/how).

I am a big advocate for obvious reasons of protection. Keep the hell away from loud sounds especially if you have trauma induced = noise induced tinnitus and/or ototoxic med induced. Maybe it's different if circulatory system type, etc. (P.S. There is nothing on your PROFILE page to tell me anything about how/what/etc. re your tinnitus!).
      Protect, but don't over protect. You need to not get paranoid about sound, but also not be dumb about it. Adapt slowly and safely.

Education about tinnitus is good I think as it can reduce the "fear ignorance" factor and give good advice about how to not make it worse. Which IS possible! Also it's natural to get hyped up about it at first and Google the thing to death. Finding this site means you don't need Google much any more for tinnitus info. If it's out there re tinnitus, it's probably on this site.

Good luck...Best, Zimichael

• Like Like x 1
    6. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Greg my wife has also told me the same thing and they may be right probably best to just give this whole thing a break and put it in the back of our minds. I'm a runner have run marathons and now with the T I feel like after my runs it tends to spike....Sux cause its a big stress relief for me but there's a price to pay.

• Useful Useful x 1