Tinnitus Spike After Two Weeks of Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in 'Support' started by kingsfan, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:16 AM.

1. kingsfan
      Mellow

kingsfan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-20 / 10-20-20 / 3-31-21 / 5-23-21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      So I already posted about this on my profile a few days ago, but I'm trying to get this more visible. I'll also try my best to make sense as I have been having trouble stringing two thoughts together lately, which is what may have led to this whole mess.

I've been struggling mentally for many years now and it's only been getting worse. I can't keep track of things... I feel like I have no executive functions. Every little thing causes me extreme anxiety. So what started as one glass of bourbon one night to relax turned into 2 weeks of drinking every night, 1-3, maybe 4 drinks a night. Two weeks isn't a super long time on any scale, so I didn't think I was causing any harm.

Well one evening my tinnitus just ramped up in volume and it's continued for over a week now. I haven't drank anything in that time but it has persisted. Wondering if anyone has had any similar experience or any advice.

Thanks y'all.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Champagne spiked mine once, so I gave up all alcohol for 3 months. I had a glass of red yesterday and it was ok.

Bourbon is hard stuff, 4 of them a night is really too much. I think it's a really bad habit, so I hardly drink. Everything in moderation. With tinnitus, not even in moderation but at minimum.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kingsfan
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Johan001, it's definitely a bad habit. I was having 1 drink a night, but some nights I'd just say fuck it and would pour a couple extra. Really calmed down my anxiety for a while, until it didn't. Then my tinnitus ramped up.

I'm just wondering if my brain will level out. I know alcohol depletes GABA and some other neurotransmitters that could affect tinnitus. Wondering how long I need to wait this out or if it's just going to be permanently increased now.

• Hug Hug x 4
    4. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I suspect it's temporary. But definitely ease off for a myriad of health reasons. Not just the tinnitus. 1 a night sounds reasonable. I know it's hard not to go for more. Believe me.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kingsfan
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't had anything to drink in about 1.5 weeks now, in hope it would get things back to level they were previously. I had one day, a couple days ago, where I felt a little bit of improvement but it shot right back up the next day and has been unchanged since. So I'm not sure what to make of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. SB1981

SB1981 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multifactorial
      It’s always been my experience that improvements with tinnitus aren’t linear. Hopefully it’s a good sign that you had an improved day and there are more soon to come.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Mnq16

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown- Visual Snow related
      Agree with this completely, I had a massive spike around 5 weeks ago also from drinking (one big night rather than multiple small ones like yours though) and I've had times where I'd feel like the spike was gone then I'd wake up and it would be back worse than before.

Only this week have I had some consistent recovery (4 or so days where I've been ok).

Just stick with it and I'm sure it will fade eventually.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1