Tinnitus Stole My Life

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RLT0836, Dec 8, 2020.

1. RLT0836
      Insomnious

RLT0836 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My name is Rachel and I have lived with tinnitus for 15 years. It has been so long I have forgotten what silence sounds like. Tinnitus had a negative impact on my High School years because I seldomly got As and Bs on tests which put me through a great deal of stress. My tinnitus was so severe physically and mentally that I could not attend school. I did my assignments at home while I attended many therapy sessions to relieve the stress and pain. I still managed to graduate with Cs and Ds and I was not happy at all.

For the next 11 years I was still unhappy as the tinnitus gradually progressed to the point where I was getting dizzy and, had headaches all the time. My hypertension I was diagnosed with in 2008 played a part.

In December 2015 I grew into a deep depression and I did not eat or sleep much at all. When I came out of it I realized I had lost 10lbs.

In 2017 my world shattered when my Dad passed away causing my depression to resurface worsening my tinnitus. Weeks later I was diagnosed with mixed anxiety and Depression disorder and I was given an antidepressant along with my hypertension medication.

In 2020 old wounds were licked back open when my Grandfather who I helped care for passed away. The medication helped but the stress was worse than ever and my tinnitus was at an all time high. I finally broke down and went to the Doctor. They told me it was permanent with hearing loss so I got a second opinion and they too said the same thing.

I was literally devastated but as of right now in 2020 I am back in therapy for my neck and shoulder pain in hopes of destressing and easing my tinnitus. I just need someone to talk to who understands my situation and to help me find the motivation to keep fighting and get my life back.

• Hug Hug x 14
    2. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. I read on here there are a few drugs in the works that may help reduce our suffering with tinnitus. I think they may be out in 2025. One activity that I enjoy that helps me take my mind of tinnitus is going on a nature walk. I also like to ride my bike. Maybe you can find something to do that'll help lessen your focus on your tinnitus. Whenever I'm at home and have nothing to do; I am the most stressed out and depressed.

3. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Did you hear your tinnitus clearly and loudly over everything? 'Im sorry to hear this by the way.

4. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear about your struggles, and that your Dad and Granddad passed away recently. Have you tried hearing aids/maskers? Since you have hearing loss, you might benefit from that. What do the doctors think is the cause of your tinnitus?

Unfortunately nothing I've tried has helped my tinnitus, so I can't help you there.

5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi Rachel, I get you and feel for you. I also like your photo with your dog... sweet.

I have a couple questions...

Did you have audiograms done that confirmed your hearing loss?
      Have you been recommended medicine or lifestyle changes to mitigate your hypertension?
      Do you have TMJ or neck issues?

I am curious, because if you know the source of your tinnitus it can help a lot in terms of what treatments to pursue.

Have you tried hearing aids?

Regenerative medicine looks quite promising in a few years and may really help you. Check out Frequency Therapeutics on the Research News forum.

This forum and the compassion and love I have been shown by other sufferers has helped me tremendously. I hope you can dig around a bit and find that warm feeling as well.

I am sending you a big hug and lots of love... hang in there Rachel.

Daniel

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There are several treatments in the pipeline. Here are posts by someone who was part of a medical trial for one of the treatments:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/419355/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/416875/

7. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      Hi Rachel! I'm sorry that you have had to go through this. It certainly isn't fair and 15 years is a long time to be suffering.

You said you've tried therapy, what kind of therapy? Have you tried TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy)?

Some people may disagree but it does help many people.

I know it's not easy, but you've made it this far so you must be a very strong person! Try to stay positive and never give up. :)