Tinnitus That Recurs Every Couple of Minutes, Yet Only Lasts ~30 Seconds

Discussion in 'Support' started by bobbedazzler, Feb 16, 2022.

1. bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has tinnitus that only lasts for maybe 30 seconds a time but is recurring every couple of minutes?

I used to have a white noise kind of tinnitus in my left ear that was pretty constant but for the last 12 months I've had this new type that is much louder and makes me momentarily dizzy. It only lasts for up to 30 seconds but recurs every couple of minutes. I don't have it all the time, more that it's triggered by something (this time round, COVID-19, previously I was run down and stressed). Each 'episode' lasts a few weeks then goes again until the next trigger.

It's not constant so I'm struggling to habituate (is that even the right term)?

During an episode, certain noises can make it worse but there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern in noise or tone (an envelope being ripped opened can set it off, as can running water but dogs barking or being in an MRI scanner doesn't).

I've seen a tinnitus 'expert' but given the nature of it he was at a bit of a loss as to what to do except supply me with a hearing aid that plays a low level noise (and is pretty ineffective in this case) and an MRI hasn't shown any changes.

Because it's so loud and makes me dizzy, it's difficult not to react to it. It''s a shock each time it happens... and it's reeeally wearing me down.

So, really I was just wondering if anyone else had this type and if anything worked for you? Does it even have a specific name?

Thanks if you've read my ramblings this far, much appreciated.

2. MartinPihl

MartinPihl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Yes!

In here, we call it fleeting tinnitus.

I don't think anyone knows how depressing and hard that is to live with.

I used to have them 5 times a day... My (either left or right) ear going completely deaf, and then just having the craziest highest tone ever... Plus my 5 tones of tinnitus.

It is impossible to get used to.

Although, now I have them 1-2 times each day.

What gets me through, is thinking that it will be over in 30 seconds... thinking positively this way, helps me cope with it a little... I still get completely shocked everytime it happens though.

But I've heard from many others in here, that they have it the same way - and that comforts me to a degree... knowing I'm not the only one, and that it probably just sucks, but doesn't get worse.

EDIT: I don't think anyone [who doesn't have tinnitus and/or fleeting tinnitus] knows how depressing and hard that is to live with.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bobbedazzler

bobbedazzler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Thanks so much for your reply.

That gives me a great basis for doing a bit of research on it.

And I feel relieved that
      a) it's actually a thing, and
      b) I'm not on my own... I've felt very isolated with it all because you're right, it is quite hard to live with.

Thankfully it has spaced out a bit and I'm only getting it maybe 5 or 6 times a day now. Last week I timed them and they were only 2 minutes apart! This can last a couple of weeks but then I might not get it at all for a few months, then they come back again loud and fast!

I'd take my regular tinnitus any day over this thing!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sounds pretty normal - I've found it tends to come and go, you might get it over a few weeks following the pattern you describe, then the gaps get longer till it's every few months etc. Eventually you stop analysing it and it's just part of the background of sounds we have to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
    5. MartinPihl

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Of course. I'm in the same boat - let me know how it goes in the near future!

And thanks Mister Muso - that's good to know!

6. MartinPihl

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. PHatch

PHatch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have similar symptoms! I thought I was the only person on the planet with my weird symptoms. I've been to two ENT's and a balance/dizzy clinic but no one has a clue as to a diagnosis or treatment. It was suggested I go to the Mayo Clinic. The electrical buzzing sound lasts only about 15 seconds, but it recurs as often as every couple minutes. I feel off balance while it's happening. It's enough to drive me insane. I can empathize with how it can just wear you down. I never get a break. It causes extreme anxiety like I've never experienced. Sometimes I think certain noises aggravate it, but it also frequently happens when I bend down, turn my head, or even when I'm just sitting still. Oddly, it doesn't happen while I take a hot bath, go for a brisk walk, or ride my bike. That leads me to wonder if it's vascular in nature. I wish I had some answers for you. I'll post again if I discover anything that helps.