Tinnitus Worse After Ear Syringing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tandy, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Tandy

Tandy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear syringing possibly, not sure
      Hello,

For a few weeks I have had problems with hearing and my ears clogging, popping etc. Finally got my ears syringed on Monday. I figured the sounds I was hearing were due to the excessive wax and they would go away once it was out (that is what research told me).

I had the syringing done by a nurse who has done it dozens of times. Since then, the static noise is getting worse.

First I thought I was just paying extra attention to my hearing due to the discomfort I had dealt with over the past few weeks. But no. It is definitely tinnitus and is getting worse. What I have read about ear syringing and tinnitus is so confusing with many opinions.

I also got my 2nd dose of COVID-19 vaccine the same day, though I don't think it is from that.

I am booking an appointment with an audiologist and am so scared that this will be my life now. I suffer from anxiety and am already hyper aware of everything around me and inside me, so this is terrifying.

Tandy

2. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      Welcome here Tandy, I do hope things have settled down now - if you had a week between them both you would have a better idea what's what... people here will help.

3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I would suggest going to see an ENT because there seems to be a lot going on.

4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      There are quite a few people who got tinnitus from the COVID-19 vaccine.

5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Hundreds of millions have been fully vaccinated. If tinnitus was a common side effect of the COVID-19 vaccines, this site would be swamped with new members.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tandy

Tandy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank-you. I did end up having a bit over a week between the syringing and the audiologist appointment.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tandy

Tandy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the suggestion. I went back to my doctor to make sure there was no infection etc. and all is good. I went to the audiologist yesterday - pressure level in my inner ears is normal, ear drums are in good shape and there is no hearing loss. My ear canals are still a bit irritated from the syringing. She said that there is a chance the tinnitus could be my ears adjusting to hearing without wax, and could go away, but there is no way to know for sure. Other than the tinnitus and a bit of irritation, I am ok. If anything gets worse, I will look into an ENT appointment.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tandy

Tandy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Although I hope to avoid debate about this topic, I am inclined to agree with you. I wish I had not mentioned my vaccination.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      If you see another doctor, I would suggest seeing an ENT because they specialize in the ear and would know more than an audiologist and a general doctor.