TMS — Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation — Holds Promising Future

Discussion in 'Research News' started by nills, Jul 16, 2015.

1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 6
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I hope so, they have been talking about this stuff for the past 5 years with little changes

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      they adressed the auditory cortex ... with good results ... thank god

• Like Like x 3
    4. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      i will go to jeanmonod to get loreta eeg so they in sweden can and know what areas they need to target, 15 days sesion

but they had great results for depression and so that way stabilise the brain

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Looks promising indeed. I wonder if there are DIY TMS devices already out there...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. c0ldsun
      Pacman

c0ldsun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      You are right, but i think there are several parameters to make rTMS effective or not.
      Probably they have found some promising settings.

7. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I hope so. I keep hearing how promising this treatment is....but that is all I hear

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Looks interesting. Nice to know it helped patients with longterm tinnitus. But anything on side effects because you're messing with the neural circuits of the brain.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I think there is a good amount of info on the effects of this treatment for depression ... so I assume (tricky place) that it might be similar ... also they say the magnetic field is cone shaped which means it start big and targets smaller place ... so anything between the skull and the auditoy cortex in the field of this cone will be affected ... I don`t know what is there but should be possible to find out ...

I read (was it in this article or somewhere else) that TMS is like a momentary shut down of the brain in the affected parts. like you pull the plug for an instant ...

there are stories where people with T have a heart/brain attack and wake up T free ...

10. JabbingJab
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Oh God. Too risky for me to do since I'm already habituating to my T. I don't want to add on a heart attack/brain attack to my body.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I think you misread my post .. .their attack wasnt with TMS .. just an attack form bad health or something else, but indeed it is a bit extreme to zap your brain in shutdown mode .. .however it works seemingly ...

12. JabbingJab
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Ah I see, yeah. I thought you were still talking about TMS. I'd still be wary about going in for a TMS treatment. I want to know more about its safety and effectiveness before actually doing it. I don't want to have a tradeoff between some aspects of my health just to stop T. I am sure there are people desperate enough for that but I'm not at that point.

13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      There are no side effects with TMS.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. JabbingJab
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Source? I don't think that's true because the article states that "Food and Drug Administration has approved transcranial magnetic stimulation only for treatment of depression." If there was no side effect, then why would they limit its use? It must mean that they are still learning the effects of TMS which means that they don't know ALL the side effects yet so they're testing it on a small group of people. Which means the statement "there are no side effects" is either wrong or undetermined.

15. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Trust me.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And this is already a news. It looks legit and was done double blind. This is what we want. Now they are going to tweak it a bit to make it even more effective. News like this give me some hope that some day we will have some relief.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you nills for sharing this great news. Today i was thinking that i am not going to survive this any longer. But when i see news like this pop in up it give me a bit of hope that some day may be we will find at least some relief. I can see that is somehow possible at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      somewhere I read that TMS is like a last resort for depression after medication ... This seems in my intuitive sense just rubbish advice ... too have the chance of a one time thing help you straight away for 6 months.. and being able to do it for 30-40 sessions (true fact) ... seems way better than popping pills that screw your whole system.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Researchers believe they may have found a new form of treatment for tinnitus after demonstrating that the delivery of electromagnetic pulses can improve the symptom's severity in a new study.

Tinnitus can be caused by a variety of different conditions, including age-related hearing loss, circulatory system problems and build-up of earwax.

The study, published in JAMA Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, assesses the use of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS), delivered with a coil to the patient's scalp.

"We do not believe that rTMS should be viewed as a replacement for effective tinnitus management strategies that are available now," write the authors. "Instead, rTMS could augment existing tinnitus therapies and provide a viable option for patients who do not respond favorably to other treatments."

Tinnitus is the perception of noise or ringing in the ears without a source. The problem affects around 1 in 5 people and is a symptom of underlying conditions such as age-related hearing loss and ear injuries.

Current forms of treatment for tinnitus include noise suppression, medications to alleviate the symptom's severity and targeting underlying health conditions that may be behind the problem.

Of those who experience chronic tinnitus, around 20% report that their problem is "clinically significant," negatively affecting their quality of life. Due to its disruptive characteristics, many scientists have researched potential new forms of treatment for tinnitus for decades.

Previous studies have indicated that people with tinnitus have increased activity in the auditory cortex region of the brain compared with people unaffected by the symptom. Low-frequency rTMS is known to reduce brain activity in targeted regions and, as a result, has been proposed as a potential method of treatment for tinnitus.

To test this hypothesis, Robert L. Folmer - of the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Oregon Health & Science University, Portland - and colleagues randomly assigned 70 patients with tinnitus to receive either active or placebo rTMS.

Treatment shows potential as future therapy for chronic tinnitus
      The treatment was administered in the form of 2,000 pulses per session over the duration of 10 consecutive work days. The researchers conducted follow-up assessments after 1, 2, 4, 13 and 26 weeks from the final rTMS treatment session, with tinnitus severity measured using the Tinnitus Functional Index (TFI).

Patients receiving active rTMS experienced a 31% reduction in their tinnitus at the 26th week after treatment compared with their tinnitus at the start of the study. In comparison, patients receiving placebo rTMS as a whole only experienced a 7% reduction.

A total of 56% of participants in the active rTMS group (18 out of 32) responded to the treatment, in comparison with 22% of the placebo group (7 out of 32).

The authors believe that their findings are promising although limited by the small size of the study. They intend to expand the trial to address further questions such as whether the improvements to tinnitus last for 12 months or longer, what number of rTMS sessions are optimal and what factors influence whether the treatment is effective or not.

Also of interest is whether reducing the intensity of the placebo rTMS will reduce the number of patients who respond to the treatment. The researchers state that as seven patients receiving placebo treatment experienced improvement in their tinnitus, it is possible the treatment was not a completely inert placebo.

"If rTMS continues to demonstrate efficacy as a treatment for tinnitus, future investigations should include multisite clinical trials," suggest the authors. "If these larger clinical trials replicate efficacy of rTMS that has been demonstrated in the present study, then steps should be taken to implement the procedure as a clinical treatment for chronic tinnitus."

Somewhat surprisingly, a study published last year found that women who consume more caffeine are less likely to have tinnitus.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/296828.php

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    20. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      What's it going to cost?

21. lost horizons

lost horizons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Where in California can this treatment be received?

22. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Thanks for pointing this out--the study I am participating in starting tomorrow includes TMS so I will bring this article up with the researchers.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. marqualler
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Regarding risks--this is what it states for risk for TMS in my clinic study (@dan @JabbingJab):
      TL;DR version: the risks are generally low and side effects almost entirely temporary.

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      • Informative Informative x 1
    25. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah, thats what I said.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Keep us posted ... what study is it? related to depression? even than it is interesting to know how you went ...

27. marqualler
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    28. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      like I stated before rTMS has been around a long long time. Maybe not for use with T but depression as was stated here already. I look hard at this and researched it intently so things may have changed some. My conclusions were that: it was promising for tinnitus, however; there needs to be more studies for T since the most recent studies had mixed for T, it was not covered by insurance for the treatment of tinnitus, you need multiple treatments for several weeks and out of pocket costs were very expensive, thousands. Things may have changed in the last couple of years but I believe most of this still holds true.

I posted this 3 years ago regarding TMS and T https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...timulation-for-the-treatment-of-tinnitus.550/

This is more recent OHSU study and shows a 31% reduction after 26 weeks : http://www.thehoopsnews.com/2015/07...nsecutive-workdays-help-in-treating-tinnitus/

I know of one person, a TT member (but not active here the past couple of years) who tried TMS back in 2013. He traveled across the country to get it done and did not experience any changes in his T after 2 months or 3 months, I can't remember exactly. I do remember that he said he did not experience any side effects from it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    29. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      what is it?

30. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      because they dont know how to use that big gun to treat special parts, they dont use loreta qEgg, they dont see where to target, therefore that got used to "hit it in a back side"...

• Like Like x 1