To Those With Severe Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jesse Pinkman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Are you able to watch TV? Are you able to hear what people are saying? Or are they days where your tinnitus is so loud that youre unable to hear any other sound?

2. LoNicot
      Panicky

LoNicot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1971
      Sometimes. Sometimes. And yes. It's very loud tonight. I have the tv on to try to distract, but I hear it over the TV.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Its like imagine you have a bad/blown speaker and you try to listen to music at normal level - you still hear the music but you also hear a nasty screech along with it.

or imagine a really dirty cassette player head and a shitty cassette (that you recorded off a turntable record), you would hear the music but also a very loud tape his in the background.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. MoustafaShaheen
      Balanced

MoustafaShaheen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      q tip , steroid injection
      i can hear my tinnitus very clearly when i'am watching the TV but i can still hear every thing normal , and my T is constant

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      How's yours? Are you able to watch TV? Is there anything else that aggravates it?

Depends on the day for me... Early onset, I couldn't stand to be in the same room as a TV... Phone calls were unbearable... I couldn't hang around my kids without earplugs.

What's your story?

6. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      I'm with @OddV in being curious about your T, @Jesse Pinkman -- what is your Tinnitus like? How loud does it get?

In my case, while I'm still in the acute stage (I'm on week 6 of having this constant, high pitched tone with pulsatile qualities to it in both ears, mostly left), there are periods of the day when it's so loud, I can't really hear much of anything else. I'm able to pop my ears a bit by yawning, moving my jaw, and that helps the volume a little bit (and moving my jaw generally helps alter volume slightly), which at one point led me to theorize with @engineerLA that I might have Eustachian Tube issues, a theory that hasn't yet really yielded diagnostic supporting evidence. Most of the time, I'd say my Tinnitus is at a 4/10 with routine spikes up to 6/10 or 7/10. It's in those upper spikes that it's louder than the TV for me.

Wishing you peace and tranquility!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      When really loud and severe i cant hear too much normal noises or speech with my sick ear. T is overwhelming and cannot be masked by any other sound during those times. "this one goes to 11", like the old saying goes.
      During the good phase i´d say T is at 7-8 (scale of 1-10). All this thanks to Meniere´s disease.

I hope my 11 is now reached and i dont have to explore new heights anymore. I like this base camp level a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I hear the TV perfectly along with my tinnitus. Totally different frequencies for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      15-17 kHz is not covered by anything.
      I can hear my T everywhere.
      But I can also clearly hear anything else.
      No hearing loss in the low frequencies.

Honestly I am wondering if someone says he cannot hear people speaking because of his T.
      How loud must that be?

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I could hear a dry leaf fall on the ground.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      My T is around 9800 kHz... Does everyone know theirs? @Jesse Pinkman, do you know yours? What methods have you tried to get relief and has anything worked? What caused your T?

12. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have significant hearing loss in the higher frequency range but my T is usually always in left ear only. Occasionally my right ear will chime in. I recently purchase the ReSound Linx hearing devices with mixer sound capability. I must say that when wearing these expensive little devices I feel relief from the constants loud hissing in my ear/ears. I am 9 months into T and not exactly sure what caused it. I had a neck injury years ago, I've had repeated ear infections thru the years also several knee surgeries which all require high doses of antibiotics. I am not sure what exactly caused my onset but it has been the single most difficult thing for me to deal with in my life. Still trying to adjust to this invasive ***** called T.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Do you have the same amount of hearing loss in both ears? Or more in the T ear ?

14. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Telis I do have more hearing loss in T ear which is my left ear.

15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think for that to happen, T would have be in the speech range.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Oh ok. Guess that makes sense then. Thx

17. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well... loud. So loud it´s ridiculous to the point i sometimes actually laugh about it.
      I have hearing loss in my sick ear, in speech/voice frequency. T is in three-four different tones, the loudest is about 16kHz. "The more you have hearing loss the louder the T feels", said one ENT. makes sense since the masking environmental sounds dont matter anymore = i cant hear them.

My T varies, when it goes up to 11 = that´s it. cant hear almost anything but T with my sick ear.
      add ear pain, ear pressure + some other nice factors to that it´s called Menieres Disease, but that´s another story.

an example: a stadium concert in the last August, some 50 meters from the stage i was standing. Kinda loud environment. I wore earplugs to protect what´s left of the good i still have in my ears. the earplugs made it hard to enjoy and concentrate on music because i was mostly hearing a combination of Jet Fighter engine and a Dog Whistle from Hell from my very own head.
      This might sound a bit crazy but that´s what my life is like these days.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      How do you cope with that?
      I have problems not jumping out of my skin.
      If someone says to me, I should not listen to it, I can only smile.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      @Kaelon and @OddV
      The reason why I didnt mention my own tinnitus in this topic is because its not severe, but rather fairly mild. So it would be off topic. The reason I made the thread was because I wondered some of the aspects with severe tinnitus. But since you asked, Id say my tinnitus varies from 1/10-3/10. For example now I can barely hear it in a silent room when i cover my ears. Ive found out I can partly controll it since my tinnitus main variables seems to be diet and sleep. It seems like sugar and caffiene aggrevates it and I suspect the latter triggered it since I drank alot of red bull days before I got it. My tinnitus is also new (about 4 weeks since it atleast got noticable). I know it says 2011 in my profile, but that was a mistake and I dont know how to edit it...

20. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Those who say "dont listen to it" dont know about/have Tinnitus. they might have some mild and hardly recognizable sounds in their ears/brains, which is pretty normal for a human being and is easy to cope with, or habituate to, as often called. It aint tinnitus.
      Tinnitus is something else. It sucks your soul out. period.
      I call my Meniere´s disease a Soul Reaper. I mean it can get to your very own selfhood and destroy you and make you a passenger in your own life. Make you another person, or annihilate the person in you.

I made a short list to another thread. Some things is have done about this during 2014.
      but the answer to your question is: i dont cope. The whole year has been a survival game to the point of almost losing my sanity last summer. i feel a little bit better now.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    21. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      I have just under that freq (14ish kHz) - it permeates the world as an underlying physical sensation. I can hear a person across the room sighing no problem.

Have you tried any GABA affecting meds for it? I've been able to get it to not be quite so penetrating with a valium benzo. It feels like a different type of T than tones.

22. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      In the beginning, they gave me valium infusions. This lowered the volume to nearly silence.
      But this is of course no solution for longer. At the moment, my T is very loud. I sometimes take a benzo (Tavor) just keeping my anxiety under control. Maybe meds like Keppra, Trobalt or AUT00063 help on the long run.

23. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Interesting. You got yours from stress and mine from noise trauma, yet the brain has ended up down regulating GABA (or up regulating something else). I'm sure that might mean something to a scientist.

My initial 9 T was lower in tone and so loud I couldn't hear people talk (didn't help it's also completely distracting).

24. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gotta ask what are you wondering?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      @MichaelM
      For now I was just wondering if severe T was an intrusive sound that could block out any other sound, or if it was something you just hear along with any other sound even when its loud. Ive gotten some different answers. I guess its a matter of frequnecy. Looks like high pitch Ts doesnt prevent you from hearing other sounds as Dan has one very loud and high pitched and he doesnt have problems hearing stuff around him.

26. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Severe means what you make out of it. I have read so often that one can have severe problems with the mildest T. And others with loud don't worry at all.
      Be lucky that you hear your T only in a silent room. I can hear mine (sometimes) even in the shower. For me, this is severe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Michael what you said describes it Soul Reaper .think it messes up one life whole lot more ,hey why us with other probs related to T say.Theres T and then there's T .

28. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jesse Pinkman
      T is so versatile a problem.... Wikipedia´s got some good chapters.

I see you are new to this Beast. Being new is good... you have a good chance your´s will fade away. it probably will.
      Frankly, if you have "problems" hearing your T you aint got one, mate. it aint chronic yet. It is absolutely normal to hear some hardly recognizable noise every now and then.

that "i hear it in a quiet room" -thing is normal, nothing wrong with it or your ears/brains. or if it comes permanent. it is easy to habituate to, which is a good thing. no one wants to suffer like some of us here do.
      when you got T you dont have to search and try to listen to it. just my opinion anyway...

Dont spend too much time thinking about it, try to live as normally as possible, sleep/eat/exercise good. take your stress levels down. Stress can make T worse, i think most of the folks everywhere agree on it.
      And dont spend too much time here or anywhere reading about tinnitus and ear problems.
      This is a friendly advice. There´s so much more to life than Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I need the tv on, for distractions. Normally not, I do need subtitles. On bad days, even if I hear other sounds, they do not make sense at all.

This being said, I also have a moderate hearing loss, and other "ear"-problems. Even with hearing aids on, some days I cannot make out what people are saying to me (includes tv). I´ve come to the conclusion that it depends on what frequencies people are talking. Do that make sense?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      @Bambi
      Yes, I think its a matter of frequency. Welcome to the forum, fellow Norwegian ;)