Transdermal Scopolamine Patches Give Me Relief

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Guest48293, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

The only thing that has helped my tinnitus has been Trans Derm Scopolamine patches. I have had tinnitus since active duty in the Air Force. The patch reduces the volume and intensity of my tinnitus. For 6 glorious months it was totally gone. Having taken lots of antibiotics the tinnitus is back but the patch does quiet it down a lot.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just bought a box of these off of eBay :-P I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    3. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      please keep us informed. this is really interesting as ive read before on a forum that someones tinnitus went away when using these..

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Pleas tell us more - how often did you use those , how long on the skin and did the sound diminish only when you had it on or after and for how long
      I also have noise induced tinnitus so your experience is very valuable
      thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

When I do wear the patch, I follow the instructions on the box. I wear the patch for 3 days then I remove it for 3 days. My T quiets down a lot while I wear the patch. When I remove the patch the T is still there but it's more bearable. For 6 glorious months the T was silent when I regularly wore the patch. I have been taking a lot of antibiotics so the T is back. Most days it is bearable for me. When it does get unbearable at times, then I do wear a patch for 3 days only and it quiets the T enough to make it bearable. I wrote about it in a letter to the ATA magazine several years ago. People called me from around the country and said they got relief from the patch. It's not a cure but it sure is nice to get a break from the really bad days of T. Research on Scopalomine and T has been done as reported in the ATA magazine. I also was over medicated by the V.A. for other reasons. 3 years ago I went into the hospital and detoxed from all the meds the V.A. had me on. That helped a lot also. My T was caused by working on the flight line in security during active duty in the Air Force.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ok thank you.
      What kind of antibiotics do you believe worsened your T ?

7. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      @Guest48293

Is this your testimonial that I found in other forum?

JDP 12/08/2008

These helped me for about 2 years. I wrote about it in the ATA journal and
      a lot of people found that it helped reduce their tinnitus intensity and
      volume as well. These patches are usually used for motion sickness which I
      used to have with the tinnitus when it was a lot worse.

jdp

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Interesting. Scopolamine is used in truth serum and used to block certain messages being sent by the central nervous system. Here is more from DrugLib.com:

Pharmacology

Scopolamine is a muscarinic antagonist structurally similar to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and acts by blocking the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors and is thus classified as an anticholinergic. Scopolamine has many uses including the prevention of motion sickness. It is not clear how Scopolamine prevents nausea and vomiting due to motion sickness. The vestibular part of the ear is very important for balance. When a person becomes disoriented due to motion, the vestibule sends a signal through nerves to the vomiting center in the brain, and vomiting occurs. Acetylcholine is a chemical that nerves use to transmit messages to each other. It is believe that Scopolamine prevents communication between the nerves of the vestibule and the vomiting center in the brain by blocking the action of acetylcholine. Scopolamine also may work directly on the vomiting center. Scopolamine must be taken before the onset of motion sickness to be effective.

Mechanism of Action

Scopolamine acts by interfering with the transmission of nerve impulses by acetylcholine in the parasympathetic nervous system (specifically the vomiting center).

I used to take Trans Derm regularly years ago, when I was active on a sailboat ocean racing crew. I remember it gave me totally crazy dreams but outside of that, had no side effects for me. Think you need a prescription for it in the U.S.

My guess is it won't "cure" tinnitus. But as @Guest48293 says, it could bring relief on bad days. It has a lot less dicey side effects than Trobalt and Neurontin (which I also have used). And its not potentially addictive, like a benzo. Worth a try, I think.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

Most antibiotics I have taken worsens the T. My wife has T also due to baro/trauma from a plane trip.

10. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been told from friends from Germany that there were some effective patches, but I told to them that it has to be another snake oil...
      @linearb keep us informed

tnx

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      scopolamine is not dissimilar from benadryl, in terms of its mechanism of action. If this works, my suspicion is that there's something about using it in a transdermal form and applying it near the cranial nerves -- and this makes some degree of sense; when you just take a benadryl, it must go through the GI tract and/or liver before it starts to work, whereas transdermal drugs get right into the blood and bypass the body's normal defense mechanisms and processing.

These drugs have been around forever -- scopolamine and atropine are primary constituents of Deadly Nightshade, Datura, and other plants which have been used as herbal medicine for thousands of years. There's a huge amount of data about their safety profile and interactions, so I'm a little shocked I've never heard of them being used in this way before.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      U are right. Pathces from German that i was suggested to try were applying at the place just behind the ear, little lower, at upper beginning of neck.. (hope i explained where that place is)

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

It really doesn't matter where the patch is placed. I have placed them on the back of my arm on the triceps. The medicine is still dispensed transdermally.

14. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      In Italy this drug was under the name of Transcop, now no more in commerce...neither similar are available

15. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      You mentioned that when your tinnitus is bad , you wear the patch for three days. Are there side effects if you wear it longer?

When you wore the patch regularly for six months, did you experience side effects?

16. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I'm really curious about this. Kinda makes sense but sadly i cant test it unless i get rx for it and ride to germany to buy it because it's unavailable in poland as they classify scopolamine as a narcotic substance.

17. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      These "something gives me relief" threads pop up regularly. Until 10 people report success, I don't want to think it will help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I wonder if this is also very similar to sturgeron?

It's very annoying but knowing tinnitus ethology we are still very far away from having anything that will help significant number of people!
      I've spent so much trying everything under the sun but still at square one:(
      I wish something helps ME!

19. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yes, it appears to be at a very basic level. Sturgeron didn't seem to do a whole lot for me, although I will admit that I never had the patience to take it for an extended period of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Does anyone have a picture how the patch looks, what brand?
      eBay sells only one brand so not sure if it's the real deal!

21. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ordered a bunch from eBay
      The ones made in Vietnam
      Will try if it lowers tinnitus.

22. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      @linearb

Do you have any improvement using this patch?

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

The patches I've used are made by Novartis a Swiss pharmaceutical. Available by Rx only in the USA.

Attached Files:

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They showed up in the mail but I haven't had a chance to try them... If I don't manage to do so over the next few days, it might take me a few months because I'll be participating in an experimental treatment starting in January which will require being drug free...

• Like Like x 2
    25. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

When I was using the patch regularly I used a whole patch. One of my customers on my mail route years ago told me she would cut the patch in half when applying it. My ENT Dr. didn't reommend this because the medicine is dispensed too quickly by doing that. Once again it is not a cure but it does give relief to some people while wearing it. It provides a nice break from the really bad days of T.

27. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Do you think the stuff they sell on eBay is legit?
      Do you know anyone who used it?

Are you able to tell us what sort of a treatment you will be undergoing?

28. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @linearb,

Good luck with the treatment! I hope it works for you man. Have a Merry!

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guest48293

Guest48293 Guest

Dr. Levine of the Mass. Eye & Ear Infirmary wrote to me and offered me to come to the clinic in Boston for a study of the relief I got from the patches. They offered round trip airfare and a hotel to stay in during the study. I couldn't get the time off from the Postal Service.

• Genius Genius x 1
    30. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Try using the patches today!