TRI Academy: Online Seminar Series 2021-2022

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Christiaan, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      The Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) has planned a set of online seminars in 2021-2022 on the specific subject of tinnitus. You can register online and you don't have to pay a penny to watch an online lecture.

On the 15th of September, the first episode will be presented by Dr. Berthold Langguth & Roshni Biswas, who will focus on the definition of tinnitus and its risk factors.

Here's a detailed description of their online lectures:

Capture d’écran 2021-09-13 à 15.30.33.png

Berthold Langguth, Germany: “A brain and pain based tinnitus definition”

By analogy with pain tinnitus has been anatomically and phenomenologically divided into three separable but interacting pathways, a lateral ‘sound’ pathway, a medial ‘suffering’ pathway and a descending noise cancelling pathway. One may have tinnitus without suffering and suffering without tinnitus. Consequently, tinnitus can be defined as the conscious awareness of a tonal and / or noise sound for which there is no identifiable corresponding external acoustic source, and tinnitus disorder as tinnitus plus associated suffering.

Roshni Biswas, USA: "The knowns and unknowns of tinnitus epidemiology"

Epidemiology is the basic science of public health. What proportion of the population has tinnitus? What factors make one population group more vulnerable than another? Can modifiable factors influence risk of developing tinnitus? Epidemiologic research answers these pertinent population-level questions. This talk will address the available information on tinnitus epidemiology, along with identifying the gaps in knowledge and priority areas of future epidemiologic research.

Chaired by David Baguley, University of Nottingham, UK, and Anusha Mohan, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland

Link: https://tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-researchers/tri-online-academy

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is the schedule of other online lectures for 2021-2022.

Capture d’écran 2021-09-13 à 15.39.53.png

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      It's very interesting to have all these lectures talking about tinnitus. But I think these lectures are more suitable for ENTs so that tinnitus sufferers could be better understood.

I struggle with my family not believing in me, because there was an ENT saying "That's nothing, it's just stress and it will go away with time."

Here I am 9 months later, and my family blames me for my suffering because I am always thinking about my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christiaan
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why would it just be for ENTs? The TRI Academy is a collaboration of researchers from different scientific disciplines, like neurology, audiology, psychology and psychiatry. So, it's for all researchers who have an academic interest in this matter and want to share their insights from their field of expertise + present (new) findings on the subject of tinnitus with the rest of the scientific community.

There could be some interesting things for us too (if we take TRT and CBT out of the equation). Some presentations may shed some light on the effectiveness of certain mainstream treatments, like neuromodulation.

Personally, I hope that Dr. Jacquemin will discuss the results of her current research on HD-tDCS, which is expected to be completed by the 30th of September.

5. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      @Christiaan, I didn't say it was just for ENTs, I said it was especially for them. Because we patients go to them for help and they do not have proper knowledge about tinnitus.

6. Harder Calm
      Frustrated

Harder Calm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/TMJ
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Did someone watch the first one? Was it good?

8. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Thanks for posting. De Ridder sure sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Him talking about multiple pathways, particularly the audible vs pain pathway, seems to give a potential explanation as to why habituation therapies (TRT-ish stuff) might really help some people

10. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @EDDTEKK, I found this fascinating, yet I would be concerned about being on that cocktail unless it gave 'substantial' relief of symptoms.