Trying to Avoid Antibiotics with Infected Ingrown Toe Nail — How to Treat It without Antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Jan 25, 2019.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Is there anyway to avoid antibiotics with an infected ingrown toe nail? I've been using some Bactracin but would like to stop and use something else like tea tree oil but fear the infection may not be beating completely with something like that. Anyone have experience beating this without antibiotics ointments?

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Which antibiotics are recommended for what you have? They may be not ototoxic

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Also bear in mind that topical antibiotics (applied directly on site) are much better than oral or injected antibiotics. A much smaller amount of them will reach the ear. And the toes are literally the most distant body part from your ears.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      well the doctor first prescribed Neosporin but I know thats autotoxic. It contains 3 different antibiotics. But I read in other posts the Bacitracin is much safer so that's what I requested to use. But they want me to do foot soaks and apply the antibiotic twice a day for 2 week. That to me seems like a lot of antibiotics adding up so I want to try to do partial and then switch to something natural if possible to be on the safe side. But it is important that the infection be beaten so I don't have to end up taking oral antibiotics which is much worse.

5. Ross McLauchlan

Ross McLauchlan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      16/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced due to music production and motorbikes.
      Hi @another sean

I had the same issue for a toenail that I ended up having removed. Before they could do this, I had to take a course of erythromycin for a week - I think it was 250mg 4 times per day.

Anyway, no issues for me. I made the mistake of searching the potential side effects of antibiotics here and this website did freak me out, however, so I was apprehensive beforehand.

In my case the infection was getting worse, not better, by using natural remedies. I hope you'll be alright too, but it's really at your own discretion. You'll know as well as me, for every case of something going well for someone on this website, there will undoubtedly be a case for the opposite too.

Take care,

Ross.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've taken antibiotics many times post-tinnitus without any trouble. Avoid most of the mycins and quinolone analogs and you should be fine.

I also know someone who got blood poisoning from an untreated toenail infection. I'm going to assume you'd rather not have blood poisoning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Tea tree oil is some powerful stuff. It depends on how deep the infection is. If the infection is deep in the tissue then the tea tree oil cannot diffuse to the infection. I've been on antibiotics for a week now and everything is fine.

8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I had Sepsis in 2017 and was on intravenous antibiotics in order to save my life. I was on a high dose every 6 hours and nothing about my tinnitus changed.

The antibiotics they used were:

Amoxicillin
      Flucloxacillin
      Metronidazole
      Clindamycin
      Co amoxiclav

I’d treat your toenail before you end up with something like sepsis or gangrene.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had infected ingrown toenails removed three or four times in my life. It’s never required systemic oral antibiotics. They put some local anesthetic down there and cut it out. It’s a 10 minute procedure.

10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I had an infection around my thumb nail, and had it lanced at a local urgent care place. The doc said I had three types of infections, and wanted me to take antibiotics. I did not fill the Rx, and it it healed fine by soaking and using Polysporin.

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Topical antibiotics are better for the ear... but not for clearing up the infection.

If it is being caused from an ingrown toenail, step one is getting the nail trimmed back, and the infection drained.