Update on AM-101 (aka Keyzilen)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Aaron123, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Well... in the 'dark scientific age' we live in, pre-clinical trails on animals who can't tell us if they have tinnitus, nor if any intervention is effective in supressing it, are considered common practice in drug discovery. Take in account that a substantial part of medicines now in use are discovered by sheer luck... hell we even don't now exactly why a common painkiller like paracetamol acts on the biology of humans... we learn by trail and error... not by reasoning and developing drugs with science based methods...

This is, from my point of view, the core reason why Auris failed, and many others will fail in the future, till some pharma company wins the lottery by pure luck.

Public health related matters should be considered common goods. Approaching drug discovery with capitalistic ideas leads to corruption of goals. Scientist won't work for proving the efficacy of new drug but to save the earnings of shareholders. This is why so many ineffective garbage (like many anti-depressants) or dangerous drugs (like our beloved Retigabine) is still pushed to the market.

No, they would first of all protect their 'discovery' by patents and stop others from using their data to further improve efficacy. Second they would build upon minor improvements on the same half proven mechanism of action to extend patents and generate more revenue. It's like cars. The past 100 years every car manufacturer played for safe by improving little and shoving up the same in a new package again and again...till...

Musk... we need many more Musks... visionairs who aren't afraid of taking risks and are considering money as an instrument... not the goal of our existence...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Well coming from somebody who works in pharmaceuticals, this is simply not the case for majority of medications, while it may be true for Panadol. They start with a firm scientific hypothesis as I suspect Auris medications did. There is a lot of smart people working very very hard on drug development. Yes, some drugs do yield benefits to other conditions in phase 3 which later often becomes its primary use but it’s extreme to say most drugs were discovered this way. In fact some of the new developments in drug discovery using machine learning is going changing a lot moving forward.

That is idealistic. We would not have half our medications if it wasn’t for big Pharma and when we have treatment for tinnitus it will probably be by big Pharma due to the gap in the market currently and profit potential. People hate on big Pharma, that is until one of the drugs saves a loved one or helps you personally. Yes, some of their behaviour is unethical; I’m looking at you Valent pharmaceuticals!

Tobalt was innovative and revolutionary and helped many people with Epilepsy that did not respond to other meds. I’m confused, you’re angry at GSK for getting this to market, yet it’s one of the few drugs that helped tinnitus sufferers? Yes it’s safety profile was poor, so GSK did the correct thing and removed it from shelves. Plus this design has prompted other companies to build upon this innovation.

And they have a right to protect their patient. If you spent 10+ years and billions in r&d would you not protect this? Pharmaceuticals is not at all like cars, changing and finding new compounds and clinical testing is very diffident from changing the design or engine of a car. And the cost is not be comparable at all.

You’ve been had. Musk is a marketing genius and everything he does is about building the brand equity of his companies and his own name through brilliantly orchestrated stunts. His companies must run at a profit just like others to exist. He does not run charieties.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I think Auris Medical has an problematic model of tinnitus, it is probably not generated within the auditory nerve.
      NMDA blockage prevents more hair cell death from occurring, that explains why it helps tinnitus and excelled to Stage 3 trials

Therefore AM-101 could actually be acute hearing loss treatment based blocking NDMA to save hair cells from additional damage in cases where NMDA receptors add insult to injury after acoustic trauma

upload_2018-7-13_15-45-53-png.png
      I agree with everything about the part stating "aberrant excitation of the audiotory nerve that is perceived as tinnitus" The auditory nerve itself is not generating the tinnitus signal, it's in the brain even in acute phases. If I understand correctly it is the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus.

The central gain model is here I posted it a many times
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/
      In a nutshell hearing loss causes less input from the audiotory nerve (not more) + higher brain functions compensating is the cause of tinnitus.

This explains why all forms of hearing loss from SNHL, middle ear surgery to ear plugs and ear wax have potential to lead to tinnitus. Anything that deprives the auditory nerve or even parts of the audiotory brain can cause tinnitus if one subscribes to central gain model. I don't think that is the case for the NMDA model of tinnitus

It's a shame there trial failed though, it would have helped acute sufferers

Unless they have a way to explain how ear plug experiments and ear wax can give healthy hearing people tinnitus the NMDA model of tinnitus is missing something and central gain model adds up a lot more. Then again I am just a mentally ill person on a tinnitus forum and not a researcher.

I am just confused why there are two models of tinnitus that contradict each other and only one holding up.

If there is something I am missing can someone please help me. I actually care about being less wrong

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Auris Medical Video Testimonial Keyzilen AM-101

It is obviously a marketing video, but with a very hopeful claim we all long for.

• Like Like x 2
    5. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      I'm trying so hard not to be pessimistic, but she very obviously tries not to say "I don't have tinnitus anymore" just "I'm pretty sure I don't." On top of that, it sounded so scripted it may as well have come straight from Microsoft Danielle.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Scripted and poorly acted for sure, but I'd take what she described as an outcome everyday of the week and twice on Sundays

7. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Well that's not my primary concern. Of chief concern is how the script really blows up her "improvements" yet dances around the word "cure" because I don't think hers has been cured.
      Now by now you might be saying, "Well, who cares if she hasn't been cured? This sounds pretty good!" I mean, I get that, but if this is the best testimony they can put out, what does the average one look like?

8. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Well and for that matter it was for acute tinnitus right? <6 months. I mean from what I understand it is not unheard of for people to get better on their own, so an anecdote in its own right is pretty worthless. If the data was good that would be a different thing, but I thought that this was already a failed drug and discarded to the dustbin of our shattered hopes.

9. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      That was my impression too. Didn't AM-101 fail spectacularly 3 years ago?

10. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      It did.

Thomas Meyer, CEO of Auris Medical, is hopelessly flogging a dead horse. His own fortune is invested in this. He is trying to change the outcome measures so that the drug could enter the market, but I doubt it ever will. It already failed at THREE Phase 3 trial attempts, a fourth one isn't going to save it.

They also moved their headquarters to Bermuda recently from Switzerland. Why? Because operating from Switzerland was no longer possible due to the trainwreck that Auris Medical is.

DO NOT invest your hopes in their drugs.

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It says AM-101 failed? Can we still try it out or something?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes it failed but they believe the parameters were just set up a bad way (trial participants were to do TFI daily but it doesn't seem like they were). The FDA is actually helping them set up the next trial.

14. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      How can they sell Ring Relief or any of this other shit like what Ryan Shelton is pushing with the Tonaki Tinnitus Protocol that is obvious bullshit but we can't just try this shit right now? I'm confused.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The real problem they had was ‘proving’ it worked - something that is extremely difficult to do with tinnitus subjects.

• Agree Agree x 1