Ups and Downs and Bleeping Noises: Tender Loving Care Needed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi guys,

Since my piano (which I've now offloaded) spike in October I *think* my main original noise, which got quite intense over this past 4 months is easing a little and probably more like it's baseline (I'm not even sure I can remember what that was).

3 weeks ago a meep-meeep-meep-meep sound started in my left ear and hasn't really left me since. Most noticeable at night and when I wake up.

I've got no idea why this one started, or even if it'll settle. I just know it's getting me down today. For the past week I've been repeatedly telling myself to just accept things and I can't do anything about it, but tinnitus wears you down, right?

To make matters worse I turned to my wife at 5 am for a cuddle, tell her how I'm feeling and she just tells me to shut up.

Seriously starting to rethink my marriage with her.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
    3. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Relationships can be worn down by T. Are you seeing a counsellor, therapist, shrink, etc?

Unloading all of your emotions on just your wife can be very demanding on her, you need someone who is qualified and somewhat more detached from you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I feel you could use some real support and I think a good therapist would help you immensely.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Too long evidently.

20 years.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I just need these new noises to stop.

I'll settle for my old baseline if I must have tinnitus.

7. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      Allan,
      I ran into this issue too when I first got my spike. Unfortunately people that haven't experienced this hell really don't know what you are going through. It took some time but my significant other started to see how much I was struggling. She picked up the book by Laura Cole and really came much more supportive after this. It may be worthwhile to pick this up and have your wife read it. I am sure she really wants to help you, but doesn't really understand or know what to do to help you. I would agree on seeing a therapist. It can really put a load on your wife and your relationship. I saw a therapist a few times and it did help some with the emotional aspects of this hell.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Your timeline sounds like mine, and I am also noise induced. Think back if you had some additional noise exposure over the last few days that may have set this off. I figured out after 3 months that my paper shredder, and my electric razor were both causing this to persist, along with a phone at work that I could not reduce any lower (and finally put a piece of tape across the speaker to reduce it that helped).

I use earplugs at night that I believe helps with habituation.

Also, try some omega-3, and some green tea. I do both daily and think they do some good to reduce inflammation. Also, garlic is helpful, which I eat in the food several times a week.

These T spikes can take days, weeks, or even longer to work through.

Finally, the additional stress with your wife is not helping your ears, and this needs to be discussed, perhaps best with a counselor of some sort.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My problems started in October last year (although I had tinnitus for 20 years beforehand) and since then my tinnitus has just been chaotic.

10. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      of course, but they haven't stopped yet. You are still dealing with them now. so you need support now to help you get through these new noises. I don't recommend seeing a therapist lightly. You have to understand that Ive read all your postings. I see your struggling. you come here for support, which is totally fine, but I see your struggles. I hear them. From the the lack of support you are receiving at home to the issues with sleeping and the things you put yourself through to try to sleep. you need to unload your mind with someone who can handle it and in return provide supporting and quality feedback to help you deal with things better.i just hate seeing you suffer like this and I think it would do you a lot of good.

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Same timeline, although mine are mostly getting better. The improvement corresponds to when I started the image a green tea, so correlates temporally.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks AS... I appreciate it.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What do you mean, started the image? Is that just a typo?

14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      A similar situation has happened to me. I have so many different noises going on at different times of the day I have lost count. They come and go at different times, volumes and types. At this point I try not to monitor it because I know many will come and go over time and overall it is still just tinnitus. They come without reason and leave without reason.

At the beginning I remember one new sound or change would through me for a loop, but now I try to shrug it off as another free loader who will be on its way eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's just my left ear at the minute. My usual noise I can handle but this one on top is just annoying the hell out of me.

Since my piano episode things just haven't been right. I get a muffled feeling in my head when I talk to people sometimes and crackling in my ears which I'm sure is related to a touching cold I had over the last 2 weeks or so.

16. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You will eventually get used to another noise as well.

With time it will probably disappear if there was no new reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I don't think my piano escapade helped but this noise has just suddenly become louder and persistent.

18. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Damn overcorrection on the phone. I meant to say the omega-3 capsules.

19. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would give it time and try not to worry. It will prob pass with time. Your cold might have thrown things out of wack.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Omega 3 and green tea helped you then?

21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Are you in love with her? Or just co-existing? Can you imagine being without her? Has she been supportive in the past?

Um....you mentioned smoking too many cigars late at night in your garden...um

22. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, I do believe that they have. I also started sleeping with the earplugs at the same time, so not sure which of these did the most. Truth be told, I did them all at once, so hard to know which of these 3 variables did it, but started felling better a few weeks later. I figure to try it all at once, and little to really lose.

Hope it works as well for others as I did for me. These days, my T is mostly tolerable for the most part. I continue to protect vigilantly from any and all noise expsoure, but most days can be out to most places without hearing protection (I don't go to loud restaurants, clubs, concerts or bars).

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's ups and downs as you would expected I guess for relationship where one is persistently tormented.

24. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Seriously I think ditching the piano might have been a premature move.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I couldn't bring myself to even look at it, despite how elegant it was.