Video: Stop Telling People There Is No Cure For Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by hoper, Oct 29, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. hoper
      Happy

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
    2. hoper
      Happy

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
    3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Don't buy it...there are a ton of people that are habituated and don't care...no reaction involving the central nervous system at all, yet their T is the same (didn't go away).

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise
      He obviously means well and this video not a blatant scam, but he's not entirely right.
      There is a distinction between 'there is no cure' and 'there is nothing you can do'.

There is no cure for T. There is no medical procedure that can make it go away. There are many things you can do to make life more bearable such as habituation or TRT, maybe almost to the point as to where T has no influence on your life, but those will not remove the T.

If a person is missing a leg, there's a lot you could do to fill the gap: a prosthesis, a handcycle, a car with automatic transmission etc.. That's all incredibly valueable, but it is no cure. A cure would be a pill that'd make you grow a new leg.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Nadia

Nadia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time
      I do not agree. I think he is very much right! Secondary tinnitus has a specific cause and can, when treated, go away. As he says in the video it has to do with your fight-and-flight reaction, which is operated from the adrenal glands. My husband has had tinnitus for about 30 years combined with cluster headaches. His life was extremely difficult until his blood pressure was so high he found a doctor who said she would not stop until she found the cause. And she did, though his cause was extremely rare and turned out to be a tumor in his adrenal gland. It was removed and he never had tinnitus nor cluster headaches ever again. Of course only a few people will have that (perhaps one in a million), but I am convinced that secondary tinnitus can be related to the adrenal glands and when you can calm them down you are close to recovery. In those thirty years my husband could turn his tinnitus off for a while by meditation (TM). The therapy Julian suggest seems to based on the same principle. Calming down your adrenal glands. Good video Julian, keep telling people never to give up hope!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Amazing story, but for the rest of us we have to face reality and so do our families. It can be extremely stressful to be told over and over that our reaction is the cause and/or the cure, and it's just your fight or flight response that is causing the problem or making things worse. It might help to reduce stress as a tinnitus sufferer, but it sure as hell can't be cured this way.

I think the video is misleading and lacks any kind of proof. I think being told by medical professionals to learn to live with it is harsh but realistic. For 99.999999% of people this is the reality...we just have to live with it.

8. Nadia

Nadia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time
      What I am trying to say is that you first have to try to figure out if you have primary or secondary tinnitus (see the new "plain language summary" on tinnitus from the AAO-HNSF, 1st October 2014). I am not sure if it is the same as hypoacusis versus hyperacusis tinnitus but if so then research indicates that 60% of the people with tinnitis have hypoacusis tinnitus and 40% have hyperacusis tinnitus. If these 40% can figure out their specific cause then we are talking about a lot more then 1 in a million. My husband's story is just one, but I can imagine there must be more of these stories. E.g. tinnitus because of Fibromuscular Dysplasia (see www.fmdsa.org/fmd_info/what_is_fmd, FMD of the carotid arteries) can be helped. And I am sure there are more disorders that can cause tinnitus but that just never have been linked to it. Tinnitus is a symptom which can in some cases be related to a specific disorder and by curing the disorder the tinnitus can be solved too.

Now I fully understand that you will say 'and what about the 60% with hypoacusis tinnitus'? But with every day new medical technology being developed, I am sure that the hypoacusis sufferers can be helped soon as well. I just think you just should never give up hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      There is no cure... if there is one please tell me how. I am all ears.

10. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I know somebody who went to him for treatment but it did not cure their T.