Vitamins to Take Prior to Noise Exposure to Prevent Hearing Damage

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tee_funk, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Tee_funk

Tee_funk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi everyone

My tinnitus is noise induced and has been with me for 15 years with only recent spikes from SSRIs. When attending an ENT again recently he said to google the US army and tinnitus, apparently vitamins ACE-magnesium taken 1 hour prior to noise exposure and for 5 days after can prevent damage.

Music is my life so you can’t take this away from me so moving forward I will be giving this a go as I have nothing to lose ‍♀️. Just wanted to share as I found it interesting. Article below.

Vitamins And Minerals Might Prevent Hearing Loss
      Date:
      March 29, 2007
      Source:
      University of Michigan Health System
      Summary:
      In a new study in animals, University of Michigan researchers report that a combination of high doses of vitamins A, C, and E and magnesium, taken one hour before noise exposure and continued as a once-daily treatment for five days, was very effective at preventing permanent noise-induced hearing loss. The animals had prolonged exposure to sounds as loud as a jet engine at take-off at close range.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I will certainly want to take those supplements before noise exposure such as noise during a flight. However, that was an animal study. They had already discovered multiple cures for cancer in mice. So I wouldn't want to take any unreasonable risks just because those supplements are in my system...

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's an article from 2007.

4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Many people on this forum take magnesium and these vitamins for just such a reason. Always worth a reminder for newcomers, so thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yeah, it is important to follow a healthy diet. However, I think that intake of a good combo of vitamins, magnesium etc cannot really prevent hearing loss when we have tinnitus or hyperacusis, basically our hearing is already compromised...

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've actually stopped taking everything for a while except vitamin C as an experiment. I think my baseline tinnitus and hyperacusis have got a bit higher so going to reintroduce gradually again. I can't be 100% sure if it's due to lack of supplements or something else but maybe I'll find out.

7. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have always found the “John of Ohio” supplement plan very interesting. It is a “shot gun” approach of 7 different supplements geared toward ear health. It was developed by “John” (from Ohio, USA) to address his Ménière’s symptoms, including tinnitus. He reports that tinnitus was his most stubborn ear symptom and the last to subside.

The write-up is very clear and detailed. Available in PDF form at this link. It mostly gets shared on Ménière’s discussion sites but I think it could be potentially interesting for tinnitus-only sufferers to try out.

http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.PDF

• Like Like x 2
    8. Maarryy123
      Wishful

Maarryy123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pop in left ear
      Time to take Magnesium!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      Hell yes! Live your life, don't let anyone tell you it's a bad idea! I mean it totally is and all, but it's wonderful :p Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think our ears need music, as processing music seems to help somehow to enhance sound processing. It is all a matter of volume. If you have tinnitus or hyperacusis it would be best to control the volume, lower it...