What Do You Think/Know About the Baltic States (Estonia in Particular)?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vassili, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Just interested what you guys think about Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The protagonist from the movie Encino Man claimed to hail from Estonia...
      I don't think I will want to move there. Those countries are great places to be, for now. If the EU goes down, they will probably go down with it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I am French. I already thought about going there for vacation because they have a rich history and culture and their architecture attracts me (I have not gone there yet, though).
      I also imagine it being full of kind people, and I think it differs from France in that regard. I would assume their society is still healthy and relatively spared from the cultural dogmas that are slowly turning Western countries into third-world countries.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      On geoguessr, if you see a road just packed with spruce and pine trees, just guess Estonia.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Honestly? The first thing that comes to mind about Lithuania is poordom, and squalid living... but I may wrong, lol.

Latvia and Estonia seems much more nice to me. Rich culture and beautiful countries, judging by the pictures from there (never been there myself).

• Like Like x 1
    6. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Of course I don't know much about French people, compared to what an actual Frenchman would know, but I think French people are kind. At least those I met during my visit to Paris. We asked for directions several times and were always met by friendly people willing to help us. We also spoke to waiters at restaurants and they were also very nice. I think it's so sad how French people have a bad reputation, of being uptight and such. I don't think that's true at all. At least that was not my experience from visiting there.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I have been to Estonia numerous times, but the last time was a long time ago. Really enjoyed it though. Basically like a little Finland with a squint of Russia thrown in. Actually, maybe more than a squint. I went to Tallin, Tartu and Pärnu.

Unfortunately, and this goes for all the Baltic States, I feel they are going to be on the frontline of any future war between NATO and Russia, and the large numbers of ethnic Russians, like yourself, may be swayed to fight on the side of Russia rather than on the side of the said countries themselves.

Sorry to make it political. I actualy hate politics lol

All I really know about Lithuania is that Žydrūnas Savickasis from there.

I will definitely visit Estonia again as I want to see how it has changed since the last time I visited and hopefully take a trip to Latvia and Lithuania too.

Another thing I noticed is that Estonians are good at English. Well, at least the ones I have met.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Well my dad and two of my uncles have just bought houses in Bulgaria.

I'm flying over there in three weeks time with my dad to help find me a house too.

I've had to start learning Bulgarian. Needless to say it's an incredibly difficult language. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Right, I was simplifying things. There are indeed a lot of lovely people in Paris intra-muros (and in many other areas) :)
      And we can be nice with tourists, yes. But the big issue, from my point of view, is that many of us are very individualist and we are, generally, losing our "collective bond". It happens regularly that someone has a stroke or a heart failure in the middle of the street and nobody comes to help... Whereas that would never happen in a country like Japan, for example. Where all people really care for the other ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Never trust those French.... Isn't that right @Julien87 ;)

Jokes of course! I would move to France in a shot if I could afford it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I haven't seen the movie. Should I give it a try?

These three countries are quiet and calm. This is why it is good to raise children there (it was said by my friend from the US). I personally think that Estonia makes a lot of pretending. We pretend that we are a wealthy European country but we are not.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Well, I think that history and culture are definitely not as rich as French but they are unique in its own way, that's for sure. Architecture in Estonia is mostly German.

People are different like everywhere else.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Oh yeah, we have them both. Lots of them. Well may be not as much as there used to be. Estonia has problem with forests.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Estonia is considered to be the wealthiest of them three. lol Latvia, if I remember correctly, has the weakest economy. But anyway, they are all beautiful small countries.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      It's OK.
      This is true.
      Our government has always been hysterical about it. They often use this political dilemma to win the elections. Ordinary people usually get along really well.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      It's a beautiful warm country. But from another world if compared to England. I would love to go there some time. They have good wine there.

17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have been to the 3 of them. Actually even had a look at apartments in Riga to purchase a second home, but ruled it out.. it didn't seem like a good investment after all. Apartments did go up A LOT (I was looking in 2016) but I cannot fathom the reason... Russians buying a second home? Money laundering?

I think Estonia is the most developed due to proximity to Finland. I have gone from Helsinki to Tallinn by boat. The city is beautiful and I liked the art museum and houses at an avenue that leads to the art museum.

Vilnius seemed to be on the right track, some nice cafes and a few restaurants popping up. I also went to rural areas in Lithuania and was swimming in a lake, it was pretty awesome to be just alone in a lake, in the middle of nowhere.

Latvia in my opinion is the less developed, although for me Riga is the most beautiful city. However, there is nothing to do in Riga, so that's a big downside. Riga is just strange and somehow I both like and dislike the city. It has this run down look, like out of war, in some neighbourhoods, and there isnt a great offer for leisure or entertainment... a Latvian friend of mine told me there was a club slightly bigger than others and it went bankrupt. If a disco goes bankrupt then a country has a serious problem. Just imagine Pacha, Ushuaia, BCM going bankrupt in the Balearic islands! Unthinkable!

Girls are stunning, really pretty in the 3 Baltic countries. In this sense it is hard to pick the best one! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand. I think that collective bond is falling apart in a lot of countries including my own, of course to varies degrees. I don't think my country is so bad in that area, but I think we are slowly moving towards it :/

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      @Julien87 @Steph1710
      O, I didn't know Bulgaria has flexible rule for non-EU citizens to own houses there. I thought it was generally difficult for people outside of the EU to own houses here. I read a story on twitter of a fellow called Archer_RS who is British with dual citizenship and lives in a nice place in France. He wrote about his neighbours who are British pensioners who thought they could retain their house after Brexit, but that is apparently not the case in France(?). So they have told their son to go on their behalf to France and ask the mayor if they make an exception for his family in the Brexit deal, even though its up to London and Brussels to do this sort of thing. It's really a P.G. Wodehouse like story of weird situations, and don't know if it's fake news, but it's really fun to read, I can tell you that;)

Link: https://twitter.com/archer_rs

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I agree. :beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Other countries will go down, too, if the EU goes down since economies are so globally connected now. Or do you think the USA is safe with their 25 trillion dollar debt? ;-)

I like the Baltic countries. Your point does have merit, btw, as I don't mean to critique it entirely. :)

It's too bad they're not sovereign (enough) but who is, nowadays?

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's a 1980s comedy...

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      If you don't mind me asking, what do you think about 800 British troops being stationed in Estonia?

As I see it, Putin would love nothing better than to take Belarus and the Baltic states back under control of Russia. Belarus will certainly become part of Russia once Lukashenko is gone.

If it did come to war, and without wanting to put you on the spot so feel free not to answer, would you side with Russia or with Estonia and what about other ethic Russians there?

I will ask no further questions about the subject lol But you did start the Estonian thread... ;)

I'm sure many, maybe most, people would get along better if politicians didn't meddle in our lives. Politicians are all self-serving and egotistical in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      IMO, the only places that have a reasonable chance of having their standard of living not deteriorating too much are China, Russia, and possibly Australia. Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary might outlast many Western countries, but I don't see that lasting into the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What would you have them do - pretend the danger isn't real?

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What's the difference between the modern-day France and the modern-day Japan? It's a mystery. We might Never get to know the answer.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I think you don't know what you are talking about because you don't live here...

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Vassili if you are from Estonia, you will be amazed by it. The premise is that a man gets unfrozen and the young man who discovers him realizes that he is from the Stone Age. The young American introduces that guy (дикаря) as a person from Estonia, and other Americans never question it despite him doing things like catching and eating flies.

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I don't like that. I don't want to see any foreign military force in my country.
      I don't believe in that.
      It is already basically a part of Russia. Plus Ukraine. People are connected historically, culturally. Who knows, maybe they will unite some day. I would love to see that.
      I personally would side with Russia. I can't speak for others but I think lots of people would too.
      Yes, I did. But the provoker is you. This thread wasn't abut politics at all. ;)
      This is a good thought. I agree. You see, usually I don't like to discuss politics at all. I just want to say that Estonia should be friends with Russia. We must not listen to US, England or the EU, whatever. The more foreign military forces are here, the more tension there is.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My understanding might very well be off. Please explain what is wrong with it.

I have mixed feelings about Putin and the EU. I used to be strongly against Putin, but these days I don't know what to think anymore. Putin has already demonstrated (i.e., Georgia and Ukraine) that he is Interested in getting back the former republics. If he is already subject to sanctions, isn't it a real possibility that his long term plan is to push a little more each year? Also, once Putin is gone (he isn't young and life expectancy for Russian men isn't particularly high), Anything can happen, so why shouldn't your politicians hedge that risk?

• Like Like x 1