What Ear Do You Use to Talk on the Phone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been reading quite a number of posts from other people on this forum. One thing I notice is that people who have T on one side, myself included, have it in the right ear. For me myself, before T started, I've always talked on the phone using my right ear. I've read up somewhere that our left ear picks up more of the lower frequency sounds, which include our voices. This is something I came up with, but i have no scientific proof of. It is interesting though, thinking about it.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I use my left ear but tinnitus in both due to Menieres...lots of love glynis

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone that has tinnitus especially when it was caused by exposure to loud noise, in my opinion, shouldn't hold a mobile (cell) phone to their ear for longer than 5 mins. I always switch to hands-free when using a mobile phone. Landline phones I use normally. A neighbour of mine doesn't have tinnitus but used to use a mobile phone a lot because of his job. He recently told me, if he holds a mobile phone to is ear longer than 10 seconds his ear becomes extremely painful.
      Michael

4. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I have tinnitus in both ears and I'm taking no chances with sounds going directly into my ear. When I'm on the phone 99.999% of the time I use speaker phone.

5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I use speaker phone pretty much always now too, mine started in the same ear as I use the phone but it was a noise thing from DJ'ing so I don't think there's a link.

Saying that though, after using a mobile up to my ear my hearing goes dull for a while after and it feels uncomfortable. It is definitely doing something negative for me that I can feel.

6. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I suddenly lost all hearing in my left ear in 2013 so I talk on the phone with my right ear. I hear noise in my left, deaf ear because of sound introduced in my right ear. It was talking on the phone that made me realize that the T in my deaf ear was caused by the sounds coming into my good ear.

7. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      T in both ears now but I have no choice but to use only my right ear for the phone........I'm deaf in the left one

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear, so I use my left ear when talking on the phone. I don't use a mobile very much or for very long, because my ear starts to feel strange after a few minutes. No problem with a landline using my left ear.

9. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Statistically T is most often in the left ear. I am right handed and I use the right ear, which I presume correlates in general.

10. Suzie

Suzie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2014
      I use the phone on my left ear.... Where my T is hmmm. I think I'll use speaker from now on

11. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      My T is in the left, I always used the left for the phone, now use speaker on mobile unless in public, but then limit call time. Use both ears on landline but even then I get a weird echo due to H.