What Happened to Bam Who Ended in a Psych Ward?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for your kind words. I also get to learn about tinnitus (what causes spikes, what happens to a spike as time goes on, etc.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Often it depends on how easy their tinnitus is to ignore, and whether or not it tends to fade over time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Sure, but I would say most people with mild tinnitus habituate automatically without doing much. But they need to know what to do to not make things worse. And unfortunately I think that works only if they see how bad this can get.

It breaks my heart that people on this forum need to have severe tinnitus to show the rest what their mild tinnitus could turn into if they are not careful.

• Agree Agree x 7
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      There are also many others here who spend a lot of time doing medical research and sharing thoughts. Some also help by use of PM. Many need compassion and others are in desperate need of physical biology guidance and thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thank you @robHing.

Let's hope Bam is getting the support he needs and knows we are all here for him should he return to support him endlessly.

love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I truly hope this is not the case!!!! I’ve thought about @Bam a lot and truly hope he’s had the help he so needs x

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The kind of tinnitus he was describing just made me feel so bad for him. I kinda feel like there is tinnitus and then there is Tinnitus. I honestly don't know how anyone can function when they have Tinnitus that they simply can not escape from, it is something which terrifies me.

@momo was another person who showed up who I felt really sad for, a young girl whole life ahead of her, one mistake with some headphones and thrown into this unthinkable hell. :(

• Agree Agree x 8
    9. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Or @monacco and @bill 112, the Irish guy.

In my opinion, Bam was not negative. He was rather hit hard and has the gift to put it down with words. I, for one, really appreciated and related to his posts.

• Agree Agree x 5
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Tinnitus (especially the loud kind) usually doesn't switch off overnight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I take it back. Given the title of one of his last threads, he hasn't committed suicide, he got murdered by merciless T...

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Spot on. 2 hours at a concert can cost you your entire life :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You are absolutely correct.
      I may have missed some others (including you)
      who also have helped and supported T sufferers in TT forums. :)

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Hello everyone:

Glad to read that so many people are concerned about Bam. Wherever he is, we all wish him well.

Regarding the question of ''negativity'' that arises, especially when someone indicates suicidal thoughts. Well I think it is better to put up with this alleged ''negativity'' because someone' s support can be the difference between life and death sometimes. How many times have I heard someone say that this or that person or organisation saved my life. Someone even told me I saved her life one night (if I remember correctly)!

Then again, too much negativity can be overwhelming for some and sink them more if they are too weak at some point. That can happen to me sometimes so I have to be careful. I remember reading a psychotherapeutic monograph, based on the work of one Karen Horney, that explained that one has to be strong enough first to help the troubled, or something to that effect.

Luckily I have little tinnitus. You might be asking then: why am I here? Well I have hyperacusis, and while I post at the hyperacusis section most often, I sometimes go to this tinnitus section to see what is going on, and that situation with Bam really hit me.

When I first read about Bam I was in transition between apartments, using computers at the University of Montreal, while using a dorm room there off season. Now I have found a new apartment, and let me tell you that doing that was NOT easy with hyperacusis. I had been living with my mother, she had to be placed in a nursing where she now languishes with myriad other very messed up older people. I had to sell or give away or recycle a lifetime's accumulation of clothes, antiques, cutlery etc... which necessitated zillions of calls. All that work got done but I could not find an apartment until Aug 1 , and that is just by luck. I live on a quite street in a big city which is very fortunate, considering my low income. Unfortunately, there is always the problem of lawnmowers, planes overhead every 2 minutes sometimes etc.. a new roommate to adapt to who luckily is sensitive to my ear problem, but who also has a form of schizophrenia. Unfortunately, after a few months of pretty moderate hyperacusis, I have gotten worse since moving into that apartment, I think due to not protecting enough against the planes. So I have a whole new adaptation to make to go back to moderate hyperacusis. Of course, I am worried that I will stay bad, and have to move again. I asked so many questions about the noise level around this apartment, but not all pertinent questions I now see.But I think I would have taken it anyways, knowing what I do now, because I could not continue moving around from one hotel to another, which are expensive, even if low quality. So, yes, the life of a person with hyperacusis for 22 years. No joke sometimes!

Marco

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tex, I shared this exact sentiment right up to the point of losing a successful business of 25 years due to severe tinnitus causing full blown psychosis. I never go to doctors except for stitching my flesh in which I decline local anesthesia.

Part of what drove me crazy was being told to habituate, ignore it and that it is no big deal. I bought into this and drove myself all the way to doing things I don't want to publicize other than telling you I was taken away by force and detained twelve days in a mental facility, three days is typical. Cost me over 10k for that vacation which I didn't ask for.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      That's great... I'm glad your tinnitus is mild and not the debilitating kind... because if it was, you would never write that.

Imagine if you had high pitched tinnitus at 5x your current volume.. this is what some members here have to deal with and it is not something you can just "move on" from

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    17. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer I had two years of chronic pain and it WAS way easier than tinnitus. Definitely. But all may depend on the level of pain or the loudness of tinnitus or the personal dislikes of the person who has it eg I was always quite sensitive to sound. I doubt there are many worse conditions than locked in syndrome

Has yours got louder lately?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is high pitched tinnitus considered to be harder to deal with? Mine is super high-pitched

• Like Like x 1
    19. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It tends to always be high pitched especially at first. Id say its harder to deal with though the higher the pitch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      There is a reason why most alarms are high pitched...it is hard for your brain to ignore it and puts it into alert mode.

21. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That makes sense. I don't feel like quite such a wimp now! But who knows, we can never know what others experience. When people I know IRL say to me oh yes I have tinnitus and I can hear it over everything and it doesn't bother me I still think WTAF? And what's wrong with me?

22. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyway this thread was supposed to be about @Bam . Still thinking of him. Such a vivid writer and only 8 months with tinnitus. Said his quality of life had been great before it hit. I hope he's still around and will wait to see if the volume reduces as least

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      My Tinnitus is far from mild and is most certainly debilitating. I couldn't get anything done today in the way of work it was so loud. It is piercing extremely loud for some reason today. I guess it is days like this that in desperation I check back on here just hoping to stumble onto some new therapy.

• Hug Hug x 2
    24. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      cancer and heart disease put you out of your misery, and normies are rightfully so concerned about finding effective treatments for them. But hearing loss, tinnitus and noxacusis are ignored completely as they are not life threatening.

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I think it is the 'doubting Thomas' phenomenon. If T had had visible effects from treatment (assuming there was treatment lol) it could be marketed. Trust me, I work in cancer. It's sexy because it's easy to market. It's economically easy. Give me a few thousand and I can save a life. It sells to politicians, it sells to the CDC, and to the public. T is real. It just hasn't been marketed. Just look at breast cancer, it's nothing compared to lung cancer. Yet it gets 100x the funding. You want to know why? People like pink. It's easy to tell a story. And everyone blames lung cancer on smoking even if the majority are caused by radon.... sorry end rant.

• Like Like x 4
    26. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Genuine question: is the number of breast cancer versus lung cancer cases part of the funding discrepancy?

I realize lung cancer is the second highest diagnosed cancer, with breast cancer being the leading cancer diagnosis. But I’m curious if lung cancer is the primary diagnosis or a secondary finding. For example, I know multiple people who had lung cancer but it was metastasized. Their original findings were predominantly breast cancer.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I don't work with lung, so I can't say for sure. But with breast, it is almost always primary. You are right that often cancers metastasized to lung. We (in my field) generally refer to the primary cancer as the type, but obviously when published online or in a report they may well be using the more inflated number. Colorectal often finds its way to lungs as well.

28. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I wish I had heart disease instead of severe t and severe h :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    29. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I have anxiety which tricks me in thinking I have a heart condition and its scary af. You dont want that.

30. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Anxiety is awful.

I have it and some of things it can make you worry about or feel like it truly awful. @another sean you got any treatment for it? I had CBT which helped understand it, but symptoms still persist.

• Agree Agree x 1