What Has Tinnitus Taught You?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgguy46, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am no longer thinking about it. Don't worry about me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      To treasure every (good?) day
      To not take anything for granted
      That life truly is cruel and unfair, and....

That hell does indeed exist...and it is not in the afterlife.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It sounds like you have experienced some improvement, Sandra. If that's the case, I am happy for you.

4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have made a slight improvement.....the thought of living the rest of my life with this AND it potentially getting worse still scares me immensely and i am still not convinced that a life with intrusive T is worth living in the long run....for me personally.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you began to improve after one month, it is a great sign. I bet you will feel even better in another month. You might be mostly cured by the time it is time to celebrate your four-month anniversary.

6. Paarkhi Parekh
      Cheerful

Paarkhi Parekh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold and anitbiotics
      I've learned that Silence is Gold, Diamond

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Life is so fragile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      My own stupidity caused my T, so I guess I've learned that I only get one body and need to take care of it so that it lasts until death. Since T, I've been eating healthy, cut back on alcohol and caffeine, taking better care of my teeth, following a sleeping schedule, and more conscious of things like using sunblock.

The risk of picking up some nasty ailment that reduces quality of life increases as we age, so it's best to be as healthy as possible to minimize those risks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      As said as it sounds T onset does not do it but you chose to do it ... and you can be a very happy person with a mental illness ...

and I am fighting my battle too . ..first year was horrible next 20 years I did not notice it .. last three month are horrible again .. after an onset ... but I deny to be unhappy for a ringing in the ear while thousands of children starve to death every day ...

For most Tinnitus made me stronger and appreciate the moment. Nothing is given in life and sometimes shit happens.

yes it is a hard battle at times, and I do have my bad days too where I wish for some silence .. and I am unhappy too but not for my ringing in the ears but because humans trash my planet .. so often ...

Smile at life whatever it throws at you and help others to do the same ... if you can :).

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      That "if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger" doesn't apply with having tinnitus. I have to try something different, maybe Cymbalta for calming ear nerves? First upper cervical adjustment once again in case there is a connection to this terrible noise I currently have.

11. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      It has taught me just how much of a strong person I actually am and how so many others are to get up everyday go to work and deal with it, it has taught me that I took life for granted before t. It has taught me how to get shitty sleep. It has taught me to really try hard to enjoy the few precious happy moments. Other than that it just really pisses me off really.

• Like Like x 1
    12. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      I've definitely learned that I can cope with some really awful stuff. But it has robbed me of some happy moments. I don't like how every moment is overwhelmed with this noise. I had to go back to zoloft to cope because i was in a constant state of anxiety and almost lost my job. Honestly, I've been through a lot and this takes the cake any day. I just want to be a good mom. An attentive mom.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      ha same here.

After every terrorist attack in my country, I watched the news 7/24, the victims' funerals, the grief of their loved ones, cries and clamours, stupidtly tried to learn more about their lives, identities and tortured myself to the fullest.

But that wasn't enough, I regularly watched videos Syrian children dying, losing their parents, parents losing their children..I watched the refugee ones in my country suffering on the streets. Oh, I even tortured myself watching videos from 9/11 tragedy sometimes.

The day I got the T out of nowhere, I had been thinking all day about a lady I know who just died because of lymphoma, leaving a little boy and her loving husband behind and what if that happens to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      "What has tinnitus taught you?" hmmm.... (thinking here).... Well... for one it has taught me that I really hate having tinnitus and secondly... to have infinite empathy for those who do!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      QUOTE="Bobbie7, post: 260806, member: 13881"]"What has tinnitus taught you?" hmmm.... (thinking here).... Well... for one it has taught me that I really hate having tinnitus and secondly... to have infinite empathy for those who do![/QUOTE]

and.... oh yes --- I failed to mention ---- specifically, I've learned that ONLY high intelligent and extremely good-looking people get tinnitus !!! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      1. Never take anything for granted.
      2. Don't waste a moment of your life. You don't ever get any back.
      3. Bad things happen. Such is life.
      4. We are not guaranteed long life and life without health problems and bad things happening to us.
      5. Have as many good experiences as possible.
      6. Love and appreciate the people you care about and vice versa.
      7. Don't ever let anything stop you.
      8. Crush life, don't let it crush you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I stopped having good experiences as a result of T, altogether. I didn't go on my trip to Alaska. I skipped other amazing opportunities to enjoy myself. If T won't stop, I won't be able to forgive myself for doing anything that could have undermined my recovery.

19. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      By depriving yourself of pleasure and enjoyment aren't you, in effect, making T the master of your Life? As so many other members have posted, even though they experienced T misery at times, they forged ahead with their plans and were both strengthened and enriched as a result. Perhaps Bill, you should rethink your philosophy, go out, do fun stuff and be kind to YOU. You deserve to be happy. We all do in this difficult Life.

Best wishes,
      Barbara

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Recently, a relative had turned on a blender when I was in another room on another floor. I immediately began feeling ear fullness. This proves to me that my ears are now more vulnerable than ears of healthy people. I also believe that these shocks interfere with my recovery. In other words, I believe that recovery might still be possible, but not if one gets exposed to noise.

T is the master of my life, as it should be. I mean to say, someone with an allergy ought to not do the things that would trigger the allergy - they ought to let their health condition dictate what they can and cannot do.
      It is possible that they had also reduced the chance of their T getting quieter... Of course, we will never know.

21. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Believe me, I completely understand what you mean.. and -- I hope this doesn't happen but let's say your tinnitus should at least temporarily remain as it is.. annoying and disturbing, you still must continue on with your Life. Who knows... had you gone on your Alaskan vacation, you may very well have enjoyed it despite what you think.

I'm older as you may already know... I have faced many difficult trials in my Life, have fallen down in many cases (figuratively) but through these times, have come to the realization that no matter what: we have to rise each time (and we do become stronger) and then we proceed because in truth these are our choices: either succumb or survive and prevail. I chose the latter but it was not always easy my friend. Through bouts of major depression (way prior to my getting T), etc., etc., etc., etc., and onward and now with tinnitus ....... for my own survival I had to face challenges and overcome. As I looked at it after many years of weakening... I just did not want to crumble. This is my own personal philosophy. I just have an idea you are way stronger in every way than you realize.

Again, I send my sincere best wishes to you.

Barbara

P.S. I live in a very noisy neighborhood on a high ground floor where there is a bombardment of ambulance sirens, impatient drivers honking their loud horns and drivers blasting their radios plus at times, though rarely, blasts from the smoke detector/carbon monoxide alarms indicating low batteries --- and these noises are inevitable but we cannot let all these factors drive us to fear because we just can not protect ourselves from everything out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional".

Bad things will happen, it will suck and be horrible. But you have to be careful about adding your own suffering into the mix. Trust me, I hate life much of the time. But we all die eventually anyway. May as well make the best of it while we are here instead of counting the things we don't have or have gone wrong.

Much of what causes adding suffering is the expectation of what life should be vs. reality. We all suffer in some way.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    23. loudmind

loudmind Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Inner strength, adaptability, blah blah blah ...

Also, far too many musicians are gambling with their ears ALL the time.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

The fact that I'm still around amazes me sometimes.

25. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Well I'm glad you're still around. You too Mr Bauer.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    26. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions

Thanks. :) I'm trying to last as long as I can.